Euro 2024: Italy vs Switzerland

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by TorontoCalabria, Jun 24, 2024.

1. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    Saturday June 29th Italy vs Switzerland round of 16.

The Swiss held Germany to 1-1 and beat Hungary 3-1 but also were held 1-1 with a poor Scotland.
    They like to play a 3421 which could free us up to play a proper 3421 without being as afraid of being overrun in midfield as we would be with Spain and Croatia. Star players are Akanji Freuler Xhaka and Sommer.

The Swiss know us well as they have several Serie A players and faced us in 2022 world cup qualifying as well as Euro 2020 so this will be our 4th time playing them in 3 years in a competitive match.

Our historical record against the Swiss is 29 wins 24 draws and 7 losses. We have not lost to the Swiss since 1993 in world cup qualifying where we suffered a 1-0 loss. Of course our last 3 results were the 0-0 and 1-1 draws in world cup qualifying and the 3-0 win in Euro 2020.

2. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dan Ndoye very good vs Germany

AGomes repped this.
  3. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #3 AGomes, Jun 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2024
    Sommer, Aebischer (sic) as well, iirc. Ricardo Rodriquez of Toro. Does Remo Frueler still play with them? Does Stephan Lichsteiner still play with them, lol.

As much as Gigio is a beast at PK's, I would not want to get into a PK Shootout with Yann Sommer.
    Jorgi redemption. But no PK's. He's hinted it would be who is on between Scamacca and Reteguii.

Big concern is Calafiori's suspension. Mancini or Buongiorno?

Not sure if he wants to go back to the Darmian well yet again.

A shame that Bellanova won't see the light of day with this team as long as Spalletti's Captain is breathing. I just want to see Bellanova stretch those legs and go for a run, inject some pace.

Need to get this one right.

TorontoCalabria repped this.
  4. Vieri's Left Foot

Roma
    Italy
    Jun 8, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Buongiorno. Italy is already struggling with their sluggish pace. If Mancini is back there, every switch of field will take 45 seconds.

5. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    I think this is the match for Belanova and Cambiso. With the Swiss 3421 we should have no problem playing a 2 man midfield where we can finally unleash our wingbacks.

----------------------------- -----Scamacca
    ---------- ---------Pellegrini/Zacagni----------Chiesa
    DiMarco--------Jorginho/Fagioli-------Barella-------Cambiaso/Belanova
    ---------------------Bastoni---Buongiorno---Darmian
    ------------------------------------Gigio
    this is the 11 I would like to see as well as the substitutes. If you have to play Di Lorenzo play him at RCB and let Cambaiso/Belanova run at the Swiss defence.

6. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    Yes also we need ball playing centre backs in a Spalletti back 3. I do think Mancini is good for a goal though alla Materazzi so if Califirori is Nesta then maybe out the crazy man in.

7. Vieri's Left Foot

Roma
    Italy
    Jun 8, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I like having a Materazzi-type when the team is flooded with skill. This team doesn't need a brute, as much as they need to squeeze every ounce of skill out of themselves. Presently, this team is leaning on the back line for playmaking, so Mancini is a poor option. Same reason why Cristante is a poor option.

Plus, Bastoni and Buongiorno are physical. They just aren't loose cannons. I don't see how Mancini is part of a best XI, at the moment.

8. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    yes exactly well said it would be nice but we need all the creativity we can.

9. Vieri's Left Foot

Roma
    Italy
    Jun 8, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    @TorontoCalabria, thoughts on starting Zaccagni after his heroics, or saving him if Itlay needs a boost with 30 minutes left. Which role do you think benefits the team more?

10. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    It's a weird one because he has the ability but maybe he is best as a super sub. I am still waiting for Pellegrini to perform how he did against Albania and I think he can but I would consider more of a 343/3421 with Zacagni Chiesa Scamacca. If Spaletti were determined to play a back 4 then yes you can play Chiesa and Zacagni as wingers with a midfield 3 of Jorginho Fagioli Barella. I just think our midfield is more comfortable breaking the lines with 3 centerbacks and proper wingbacks.

--------------------- --------Scamacca
    ------Zacagni------------------------------------------Chiesa
    ---------------------Fagioli----------Barella
    ------------------------------Jorginho
    Cambiaso-----Bastoni------Buongiorno----Darmian

11. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just play the same formation but start El Sha and Mancini

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I thought all the yellow cards were eliminated if your team gets to the second round or is that just for the World Cup tournament?

13. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Zacagni should start here - he just scored the biggest goal of his life and confidence is riding high - use that! I'd start him instead of DiMarco if we are going 3-5-2. We need goals and someone who isn't afraid of moving forward.

Juice10 repped this.
  14. Pambiero

Pambiero Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Mar 21, 2021
    #14 Pambiero, Jun 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    Guys, if England loses the 1st place today that means they are out of our bracket too, correct?

15. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Only if they finish in 2nd. If they finish in 3rd they remain on Italy's side.

Pambiero repped this.
  16. Pambiero

Pambiero Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Mar 21, 2021
    Correct! And if they finish in 2nd they play Germany right away!

17. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Spalletti has less than a week to come up with a new strategy for the Swiss. Given our current condition, this is going to be a very tough game.

18. Pambiero

Pambiero Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Mar 21, 2021
    What about playing with 3-4-3 formation? When defending we can revert to 5-4-1.

Donnarumma

Bastoni, Buongiorno, Darmian

Di Marco or Cambiaso, Fagioli or Jorginho, Barella, Bellanova

Zaccagni, Scamacca or Retegui, Chiesa

The main problem is playing with only 2 classic midfielders but we can hit them on the wings

19. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    Yes since Switzerland play a 3421 themselves with only two proper midfielders this is a possibility.
    I would still go back to the front 3 of Pellegrini Scamacca Chiesa and then Zacagni is the sub and Fratessi is never brought outside a late super sub for legs because he just does not have the quality. For me Retegui is a disaster and I would never have brought him I would just have brought Raspadori and Scamacca as CF and then Orsolini. You can't ask a team to play one touch possession and then throw out Fratessi Retegui Cristante and then yell at them.

------- ------------------- --Scamacca
    ---------- ------- --Zacagni----------Chiesa
    Cambiaso----- --Fagioli-------Barella-------Belanova
    -----------------Bastoni---Buongiorno---Darmian
    ------------------------------------Gigio

for me this is our best 11 for pace and power and technique and legs without giving up too much in any of the departments. obviously Califiori as well but for this game I would go with this then you can bring on Di Lorenzo and Pellegrini if you need to manage the game. Raspadori is my only sub for Scamacca here. Jorginho can play first half and Fagioli second if you want to go for experience. If Di Marco is fit and you trust him to turn things around you can have Cambiaso on the right side and him on the left but one of Cambiaso or Belanova needs to be on the field.

azzurri06 repped this.
  20. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    These smaller nations have come to play this year…. props to Austria today.

TorontoCalabria repped this.
  21. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There is no way we will sees this formation

22. Pambiero

Pambiero Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Mar 21, 2021
    France is out of our bracket?

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You know folks, I wouldn’t discount Switzerland.

I know we are Italy but it means nothing when it comes to a tournament and there are no more easy teams.

AGomes and thorus repped this.
  24. Pambiero

Pambiero Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Mar 21, 2021
    Totally agree with everything you said! I also consider Switzerland a very strong team! I hope our players see this as a kind of a revenge for the last World Cup qualification!

Gacm32 and thorus repped this.
  25. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I actually bet Austria to win the whole thing pre tournament at 81-1. They are quite a sturdy team and had a series of good results heading into the tournament