Euro 2024: Italia v Spagna

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by calabrese8, Jun 17, 2024.

1. Neomorph

Neomorph New Member

Cruz Azul
    Mexico
    Jun 21, 2024
    We have coaches who want to play anything but what is currently working in Italy, and one game doesn't define us. Mancini had ideas and made them work but he stuck with players too long and a few bad games and we were toast. Spalletti has had a dozen or so games to implement his ideas. Everyone knows what works against Spain. Our coaches have been too stubborn to do what works. If these guys had 30 or so games implementing Spalletti's ideas maybe it would be better. They haven't. So a Conte approach would have been the way to go.

2. Neomorph

Neomorph New Member

Cruz Azul
    Mexico
    Jun 21, 2024
    They needed one tactical change and it would have been a different game.

3. Neomorph

Neomorph New Member

Cruz Azul
    Mexico
    Jun 21, 2024
    Bravo. Excellent summation of the current needs of this team. If Spalletti realizes this then he will correct course.

4. Neomorph

Neomorph New Member

Cruz Azul
    Mexico
    Jun 21, 2024
    Cesare? Sacchi was the one who changed things up.

5. Neomorph

Neomorph New Member

Cruz Azul
    Mexico
    Jun 21, 2024
    Thank you.

6. Neomorph

Neomorph New Member

Cruz Azul
    Mexico
    Jun 21, 2024
    Spalletti negative and defensive?

La Magica repped this.
  7. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    this wat spalletti was playing works too it worked for whole game expect for OG but that is how you play against spain they are much better then anybody else on the ball. so you defend and counter and he got that side of tactics right what he did not get is peronel and formation. italy needs gasperinni he is no stubborn he played diferent plyers for atalanta and formations too how opponent seem fit

8. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    On par. They killed us in both matches. It's just that the scoreline doesn't look as bad this time.

AGomes repped this.
  9. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member+

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I’m losing brain cells consistently reading this current Italia is on par with 2021 team that set an international record in the entire history of association football and won a euro. Especially the claims the midfield today is better on passing and first touch.

gumbacicc, AGomes and Vieri's Left Foot repped this.
  10. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Scamacca Therapy

I've been thinking about something. Spalletti is clearly annoyed by Scamacca. He sees the talent but he also is bothered by his attitude and approach. He essentially exiled him after he thought he was spending too much time on playstation and the phone at night. Then before the Spain game he essentially calls him lazy (by comparing Morata's work rate to his).

He's trying to fire up Gianluca with tough love. I honestly don't think Gianluca responds to that. He strikes me as the type of guy that just shuts down when you do that. I'm not sure what magic Gasperini worked with him, but it wasn't negative reinforcement.

Now, Spalletti is about to bench Scamacca. It's probably deserved and I'm annoyed by Gianluca's attitude during games as well. BUT, I'm not sure the tough love will work with him.

La Magica and Juice10 repped this.
  11. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    1 goal in 18 matches

He isn't the answer

Il Ciuccio repped this.
  12. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Listen if you got to play psychology with a forward to get him to put the ball in the back of the net he isn’t worth having and lacks the mental strength to play on a big side. That’s why he scores for small teams.

13. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Luca Toni of the provinces

14. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    There was one play that really summed up Scamacca for me vs Spain. He makes a nice run and get the ball just inside the box...slightly right of center. He's got a window to shoot and he has a cannon. At least try it. What does he do? A backheel pass that is not even on target and we squander the opportunity.

Juice10 repped this.
  15. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    On that play he was too far away to have a shot and Defender on him.

16. Juice10

Juice10 Member

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 20, 2024
    This is a clear example of overthinking and procrastination. The cause of it is fear and self doubt. The forwards are lacking a killer instinct. Chiesa has that killer instinct and fearlessness. But because Di Lorenzo was being eaten alive on the wing, Chiesa had to constantly track back and could not do his job properly. Scamacca has the talent, but mentally he is weak. His spirit is easily broken and he strikes me as a very sensitive guy. With characters like this, Spalletti needs to be less harsh. Be firm, but don't rip the guy to shreds. Show positive love and support, let him know that you want him to take the initiative, let him know that it is better to make mistakes than not to take the chance, let him know that it is okay to mess up, but it is unacceptable not to take the shot. Tell him you admire courage above all, and that you respect someone who takes the initiative. It will build his confidence and remove some of the pressure.

17. Juice10

Juice10 Member

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 20, 2024
    I still think Scamacca is the answer. He is just too isolated.

18. Rossonero23

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He has no juice

19. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Not that simple, and it's all just conjecture on your part after the fact.

Spain is the better squad, and it's okay to admit.

20. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #520 AGomes, Jun 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    Every country has players hyped up even more than Giovinco, holy shit. The level of self-hate you have is something else. Giovinco left because there was no room at Juve with ADP ahead of him and MLS gave him the bag.

Seem to recall Denilson being sold to Real Betis for a world record fee at the time 20 Years ago or something similar. Renato Sanches from Portugal. Joao Felix. Countless stiffs from Argentina as well. Pellegrino went to Milan with some fanfare and was skinned over and over again in Napoli vs Milan. Sent on loan to Relegated Salernitana only to ride pine. Barrenchea called the future #6 of Juve just 4 Months ago now used as transfer bait. Atalanta had a great season. You carrying on as if every team out there has rosters filled with Man City and Madrid players except Italy.

21. Rossonero23

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Giovinco wasn't that bad. I wouldn't refer to him as a flop necessarily.

He'd make this Italy squad easily. More magic than el shaarawy. Wtf

AGomes repped this.
  22. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I used Giovinco as example there was also Montolivo who was hyped up.

my point is I don’t care what these kids do at the youth level.

till they are playing on a senior side then that’s when you gage them.

23. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Yeah, how about Royston Drenthe?

Anybody remember this guy? Absolutely dominated the U21 2007 EC. Was signed by Madrid and was shipped away faster than he arrived. Played in the lower leagues all over the place when he wasn't trying to make it as a rapper (not going to hate on him for that, of course).

If there is a poster boy for overhyped, biggest flop ever it's him.

24. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    OMG. Montolivo was not overhyped.

He performed and had a career in accordance to his perceived trajectory.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  25. Rossonero23

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Montolivo, Aquilani, Luca cigarini, Gaetano d'augistino etc were all supposed to be the new pirlo.

I'll always remember monto's pass that lead to balotellis second goal against germany.

Il Ciuccio repped this.