Euro 2024: Italia v Spagna

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by calabrese8, Jun 17, 2024.

1. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His stats say otherwise. Top 20 rated across all positions. Already a Euro winner and better than the trash Spalletti took.

bunch of mid table team and bench players :ROFLMAO:

Enjoy an early exit. More rest for our players

2. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mancini succeeded in 2020/2021 Euro because the entire team was good on the ball and can pass

everyone from chiello bonu to the midfield barella veratti, prime Jorgi (not the over the hill one today), locatelli, insigne berardi spinazzola…..all knew how to hold ball and pass.

today he only got Barella and rest are just good enough for Serie A

you can see this from Italian teams failing in Europe, and no Atalanta won EL but rarely any Italians on that team.

thats the key to a successful modern team, a strong mid that can pass properly. Sadly for Italy this tourney will end soon.

3. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    This is not true Im sorry. Bastoni Califiori can pass much better than Bonnucci Cheilini. Cristante was there in 2021 and played in the final. Jorginho Barella Pellegrini can all keep the ball. Immobile has a horrible first touch and no distribution Scamacca can pass much better than he can.

Watch 2021 Italy v Spain the only difference is when we broke the press then Chiesa found the back of the net where yesterday every time we broke out we made the wrong decision with the ball whether it was Chiesa Barrella or Di Marco who were all in space multiple times.

Spain will do this to most teams if you press them high and leave gaps. They will just cycle over and over again. We were poor on the ball today but again it's difficult once you're caught in their trap.

In 2016 we beat Spain with Parolo Giacherini De Rossi Eder Pele. It's not about the individual players but how you set up as a whole. As good as Spain looked they could not break through and score an open play goal. Let's wait until the Croatia game before we write an obituary. Anyone that has watched Spain the last 15 years has seen them do this to many teams before it's nothing new and has little to do with Italy themselves. Spain can do that to anyone if you let them.

Don't get me wrong the 2021 team was good but man for man our best 11 has more on the ball quality in this team if passing and first touch is the argument. You don't need to play like Spain to win. France do not neither do Germany or England obviously nor do Argentina and Brazil. Spain are an anomaly tikki takka never took hold outside Pep Barca and Spain. Yes you need to be able to play from the back to win but look at Real Madrid they won CL counter attacking in 2024. This take is outdated by 10 years.

4. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You need to resort to stats and not your eyes you already lost.

5. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Immobile sucks and Scamacca has better feet, but when it comes to work rate, it's not even close. Immobile worked his tail off in Euro 2021 and it helps the midfielders succeed. 2021 DiLo and 2021 Jorginho are better than today's versions. Spina was playing better than Dimarco is now. Chiesa would be equal. Insigne was better than Pellegrini so far by miles. Barella would be the same. Obviously we have no Verratti on this team.

I can't agree that this team is as good as 2021. Not right now. They can be. There are players who can make it as good or almost as good, but I'm not sure if Spalletti will have the balls to do it.

Azzurrifan87 and Vieri's Left Foot repped this.
  6. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The year before Inter made the CL final and maybe should/could have won if Lukaku wasn't such a donkey. They started 5 italians that night.

TorontoCalabria repped this.
  7. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm in the camp of firing Spalletti if he goes with a back 4 again and we lose to Croatia.

He picked his damn team based on playing some sort of a formation featuring a back 3.

8. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The fact that inter plays with more Italians than everyone else in the league outside of Monza is an issue

9. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    we're living in Bizarro world. sounds like Juve is starting to want the Italian block again and become ITALJUVE like the world should be.

Need Milan to do their part. If they give Camarda and Liberali a good path to success, then for me i'd consider all their recent debts paid.

johnny6 repped this.
  10. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The man has never built a team in his whole fcking career.

johnny6 and calabrese8 repped this.
  11. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I’m tired of over hyped Italian youth. Whatever happens to their moroccan Italian kid ?

12. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    not a fair comparison. Camarda for example seems worth the hype. He's scored consistently at every level hes played.

Hachim Mastour was hyped because of a stupid youtube of him showcase dribbling with Neymar. He never actually did anything on the field... he had only a few games with the u16 or 17 team and then went back to Moroccan national team.

lt22677 and AGomes repped this.
  13. Juice10

Juice10 Member

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 20, 2024
    Spain attacked on the left wing mostly because they knew Di Lorenzo could not handle the pressure. In addition to this, it would force Chiesa to track back. Same thing happened on the right wing, forcing forwards to track back. So when an opportunity to counter was presented we could not get into position fast enough in a 4-2-3-1 system because our shape was broken. It's not that this team cannot string passes, if you break the shape of any team, you will not be able to make passes. There was no options to pass. Anyone blaming Barella and Jorghino for loosing control of the midfield, does not understand that there was no way to distribute the ball forward without loosing it as I explained above. When the defense is under severe pressure, the forwards can not do their job properly. It's all linked together.

The solution is 3-5-2 against a team like Spain. Since this puts less pressure on the defense and so the forwards can counter and attack more efficiently. But Spalleti said he will not change the system. I do not know if he is being serious or not. But this team is literally built for 3-5-2. I am sure he knows this, no way he does not see this, but perhaps he really does not know how to coach in a 3-5-2 system.

TorontoCalabria and calabrese8 repped this.
  14. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    great post... I just watched the game again and one we were not as bad as first watch but what you described is what happened and by the time we regained some control Cheisa Jorginho Barrella were exhausted and we had Cristante attacking space on the right wing because of Spalettis substitutions. If he wanted to play this way then he should have had Fratessi on the right and Chiesa off the bench to score late.

We saw him use the back 3 in the american freindlies and it worked we did the 4231 against Turkey and it was a mess did the 3421 against Bosnia and it was smooth again. The defenders prefer a back 3 the fullbacks prefer a back 3 even Chiesa Pellegrini and Scamacca play in a 352 shape with bombing fullbacks. It's almost as if it was too easy and Spalletti does not want to be a caretaker and wants to just coach his way for the sake of it hence this hybrid stuff.

15. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Koeman better tactician than spalletti. No koop or de Jong and mf doing OK job.

16. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Let's hope this isn't true because based on history, won't get anything from Croatia.

17. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Cesare Maldini.

He was U21 Manager before managing some of the same players on the Senior team.

18. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Jesus over 25 years ago

19. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Back when Mancini resigned, I said in the beginning that Conte would’ve been a better choice for manager than Spalletti. I know it’s still early, and Spalletti could still be good, but I felt Conte would’ve been better for us.

20. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well could be worse we could be Chile playing with 300 year old players… my god I had no idea Isla still played… i haven’t heard his name since he left Juve…

21. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Right. You're so tired of it that you listed the most hyped youth player ever. With a shit attitude to boot @lt22677 wrote about him a few months ago.

These Italian players are currently producing on the Under NT's.

Morocco, LOL. The team that did so great at the last World Cup using players born and raised in EUROPE including Cheddira (Bari).

22. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Do you know how many times our youth has been overhyped ? Till I see Liberali and Camanda playing on a senior side lighting serie A up then there can be a real conversation. I still remember when Giovinco was being hyped up.

23. Vieri's Left Foot

Roma
    Italy
    Jun 8, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Spinazzola alone is a big difference. Hell, Italy's attack was significantly diminished in that same tournament once Spinazzola went down, despite Chiesa on a tear, Insigne on the opposite wing, the midfield clicking, and the Chiellini/Bonucci playing out of their minds. Once Spinazzola went down, and that bum Emerson came on, Italy was pretty short on ideas.

24. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'd take giovinco and giaccherini over zaccagni.

Azzurrifan87 repped this.
  25. Neomorph

Neomorph New Member

Cruz Azul
    Mexico
    Jun 21, 2024
    Move on. He's not there and that's all that matters. Complaining about players not called is an exercise is nothing important.