EURO 2024: Is there any hope????

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jun 17, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wow, devastating ratings for some Orange players:
    upload_2024-6-16_23-17-11.png

2. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    I truly hope you’re joking. He’s atrocious and has been rightfully ignored by Koeman.

Regarding the game, unfortunately I missed large parts of it. Both Dutch goals had the necessary bit of luck. Gakpo’s deflected goal and Ake’s pass was also slightly deflected which changed the trajectory just enough for it to fall right to Weghorst.

I’ve honestly never been Depay’s biggest fan. Ironically, despite his numbers with the Dutch NT he just doesn’t have that killer’s instinct and finishing ability as a striker. Call me crazy, but he might work better as an AM, but we have Xavi for that spot. I’d give Zirkzee a go as ST, but Koeman will never go for that cause Depay’s goal tally and experience is too hard to pass up and thus, blinding.

Anyway, happy with the win of course. Could have easily been a draw or even a loss. 1-1 scores are always tricky. Hup Holland!

3. I already wrote in the friendlies about Virgil van Dijk he's sloppy at crucial moments and he didnot convince me at all in this match.
    If he continues in this matter against France, Koeman has to move him to the bench, move Ake to the CB spot and van de Ven or Maatsen to the RB position.
    Depay should get a wake up call by letting Zirkzee have against France the last 20 minutes instead of him, or sooner if he is as wastefull as today.

Jpows repped this.
  4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The ratings for VvD and Reijnders are off for me.

5. I agree with Reijnders being too low, but for VvD I meander between a 5 and a 6.
    The L'Équipe rating might be a bit of a wishfull thinking ahead of the French confrontation by them, though.

6. Kelvin Cheung

Kelvin Cheung Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 13, 2019
    I think Reindjers was the best among the middle 3 whilst Veerman struggled when attacking and ghosted when defending. A half fit Quintent Timber is even better. Awfully too slow.

Why not try Simons on the left and advance Gakpo to the striker with Memphis benched first. I still have trust in Simon's but he is simply not playing in his best position.

bunbohue repped this.
  7. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Virgil had one bad pass in second half that my heart could have done without but there is no way Koeman is replacing him.
    As far as Maatsen or Van de Ven goes there is NO way he will put left footers on at Right Back position.
    I’m guessing we will play 3-5-2 vs France for more security because 4-3-3 leaves a lot of space for the opposition to attack, and that is not a pleasant prospect against M’Bappe who killed Oranje and Geertruida in particular in both Qualifiers.
    Memphis needs to be sharper absolutely.
    Get rid of Zonal marking and just be first to the ball on defending Free Kicks and Corners.

bunbohue, BPBlueSox and Brilliant Oranje repped this.
  8. Parel

Parel Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I was at the fan walk and match yesterday so can confirm. Definitely a great atmosphere inside the stadium. Very relieved with the result. Looking forward to visiting Leipzig and Berlin next week!

aveslacker repped this.
  9. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Euro brackets. As you can see our side is much harder than the left side.
    If Germany can get past England they are going to the final

[​IMG]

10. Parel

Parel Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't believe the sides of the bracket are separated as you seem to think (and as the diagram might imply to some). For instance, Germany's most likely quarterfinal opponent is the winner of Group B, even though they are on the other "side" of the bracket in the diagram. It might, in a rather unlikely scenario, even end up being the 3rd place team in our group to face them in the quarterfinals. See here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024#Bracket

Brilliant Oranje repped this.
  11. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  12. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Exactly. That’s why yesterday was a must win. I think a draw against Austria is very plausible. Four points should be enough in theory - hopefully France puts up a good result over Austria to harm their goal difference.

Brilliant Oranje repped this.
  13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Taylor has been the best player for Jong Oranje. He struggled at Ajax in the first half of the season (who didn't?) but came on late. He's much better than Veerman and history will prove me correct.

14. Sorry, of course I ment leftback position where Ake atm is shining.

15. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I think you’re right about this, Orange. If he gets some confidence going, I think his ceiling is higher than Veerman.

16. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    I don't follow Ajax nearly close enough to know about Taylor's progress. I can only base my opinion on what I've seen of him and unfortunately he's always been atrocious in those moments. I obviously hope you guys are right about him even if it's very hard for me to imagine him being actually useful to the Dutch NT. Time will tell.

17. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  18. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    If you want more goals, the offside rule can be changed such that the whole body of the attacking player must be in offside position in order to be ruled offside, not a finger or a hair or a tip of the toe...then the Belgian 1st goal would count.

France plays fast. I wonder if they can maintain this pace for 90 min or not. I hope Koeman made some adjustment for France game (faster player, perhaps De Ligt for De Vrij, better defensive player, like Geertruida for Dumfries, perhaps 5-3-2 instead of 4-3-3). I worry about the midfield, obviously the weakest now for this team without Frenkie and Koop.

richsavare repped this.
  19. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #1196 Brilliant Oranje, Jun 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    I wasnt able to watch the game. Here are the highlights.
    I really like the new handball technology

20. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Just when I thought I couldn’t dislike Mbappe any more than I already do…

21. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    #1198 bunbohue, Jun 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
  22. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Was thinking the same thing - I know we aren’t supposed to celebrate injuries here of course. But this isn’t a bad thing for our Dutch.

23. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Interesting sequence. Mbappe had a nasty head injury (bumped himself to a defender’s shoulder), and was cared for a few minutes. Came back on for two seconds with bloody nose, and sat himself on the ground in seemingly a lot pains. Yellow-carded (for time-wasting?), promptly taken off and headed out straight to the dressing room.

Hmm… I don’t know if/what the protocol for head concussion, but this is interesting to monitor in the next few days leading up to Oranje v France match.

BTW - very impressed with Austria. Lacking precision in the final third, but played with grits and great energy!