EURO 2024: Is there any hope????

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jun 17, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    DeLigt is also blunder prone

Jpows repped this.
  2. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Happy for Zirkzee. Should have been there from the start

Jpows repped this.
  3. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Yep. His best years really were at Ajax when he was a teenager. Never reached the heights that was predicted. Same could be argued for Frenkie though. That CL run where they beat Real Madrid was quite something to behold.

4. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Jpows repped this.
  5. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don’t think Koeman rates Stengs. I know I don’t for whatever that’s worth, but end of the day there are better options in the squad

6. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  7. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Gravenberch should be ahead in his development and hopefully he will progress under Arne Slot.
    Tall, athletic, and technical, but needs to play with more aggression and fire.
    De Ligt is the best defender at Bayern and was in the team of season last year, but Tuchel came in and screwed around with things and ultimately decided on a partnership of mistake prone Upamecano and the stiff South Korean Kim who was very poor. Later in season after dealing with injuries De Ligt was finally preferred and played extremely well.
    Big problem for De Ligt is his propensity to pick up injuries.
    Other than that he seems to get a raw deal in recent times, but he’s pretty solid overall.
    De Vrij I always thought was pretty steady but he too can be injury prone, BUT he definitely lacks on pace.
    I thought he was brutal in a few matches in the 2016 Euro Qualifiers along with Cillessen in goal they were they terrible.
    I could see both De Ligt & De Vrij sharing time especially with the likelihood of Oranje going far in this tournament.
    Lots of overrated teams here in Germany including the hosts, England, and others who all have question marks.
    Oranje are more than capable of playing with anyone here and playing good football.
    Respect all but fear no one.

Jpows and bunbohue repped this.
  8. I warned about selecting Brobbey because of his uninflicted hamstring injuries at Ajax, because it's a risk you end up with a player you can't use.

9. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is there any hope? I don't see it, sorry guys! ;)

To be serious, I would like a matchup this tourney. It's sooo long since the last game in the ko stage of a big tourney.

10. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    There is always hope, anything can happen in a tournament, let alone a match. As i recalled the last Euro hosted by Germany brought very good memory for me.

richsavare and Dage repped this.
  11. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Indeed. Same here. Would be epic. Y’all are one of the favorites though for me. Quite e line-up and mix of extremely talented youngins and very experienced veterans.

Dage repped this.
  12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You can say this about any player. Brobbey's injury this time was a freak one. Koopmeiners gets injured during warm ups before a match!!! Stuff like this happens all the time and it is unpredictable.

13. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Like I have said before. Injuries in Dutch camp has always being a blessing in the skys. The only time good transitions has taken place. With zirkzee and maatsen being called I'm feeling that sense of euphoria that Dutch can pull up a surprise. Especially with the offensive threat which can be option off the bench as impact players. A Lot will revealed though in training sessions. Hope maatsen and zirkzee never get wasted on vacations

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm sure you meant 'disguise' and not 'the skys' which makes no sense.

WARNING: Celebration of injuries is never a cause for joy and any post that hints at this will mean a penalty for the one who posts. Think before you post or face the consequences.

15. 51989

Wow

16. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I remember when Mathijsen got injured just before the 2010 Brazil match, and we all know how that turned out

17. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Are you serious man?? I meant what I said. In general injuries has turned out to be good from transition point of view.

18. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Examples of when exactly?
    Certainly NOT 94 when Oranje played without Van Basten.
    No Frenkie and Koopmeiners are very big losses, and to minimize that fact is stupid.
    I’m for seeing the new lads play but I doubt we will see Zirkzee and Maatsen as obviously they have not capped yet and there are other options ahead.
    Never enough speed and athleticism though for my liking and Oranje have plenty of that in abundance if Koeman goes that route.
    Can’t wait for the matches!

19. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Maybe, but I didnt think Frenkie and Koop played all that well in Qatar either.

So..........

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  20. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    • Injuries is part of the game. You need to have depth and option. Injury to starters is not good for any team.
    • Frenkie and Koop have not played well together, even when healthy. However having them will be better.
    • I hope for a breakthrough tournament for Xavi, Reijders, Frimpong, (maybe extend to Maatsen, Veerman, Schouten, Zirkzee). I hope Gakpo can find his WC performance again and if all other players are used properly and play to their potential, this team can win.
    • I think Netherlands should be able to beat Poland 2-0.

richsavare repped this.
  21. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    richsavare repped this.
  22. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think Koopmeiners is massively underrated and he was in tremendous form for Atalanta this season, and losing out on the play he was playing is very unfortunate
    Having watched several matches Koop played in various positions and I must admit I was extremely impressed by him.
    Frenkie’s skill set will be sorely missed and I have a feeling Oranje will see a lot more pressing especially against Austria.
    Very Big shoes to fill.

bunbohue repped this.
  23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Zero drama in the GER - SCO game. Two good early goals and then a two footed tackle in the box leading to a RC and PK, so Germany 3-0 at the half. Not bothering to watch this one any more.

24. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    24 is simply too many teams and has reduced jeopardy.

Scotland and Hungary are also among the four/six weakest teams in the competition, according to Goalimpact and Twenty First Group. The Ringer has Scotland 2nd last.

Switzerland will be a better barometer.

Also in 2006 had hosts Germany a ridiculously easy group.