EURO 2024: Is there any hope????

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jun 17, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Confirmed by KNVB. Gvd

2. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Wow, Frenkie and his glass ankles… bringing horrible memories of Marco Van Basten all over again. Huge talent cut short by repeated injuries. :(:confused::mad::x3:o_O

Will there be a replacement? Stengs should be in line. Can’t think of any other midfielder worthy of a call-up… please don’t say Taylor or Berghuis :p

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How dismal it is to pin the faith of the team on Veerman, who is at best mediocre. Remember that he was subbed off in the first Ajax match last season because he was, well.....dismal.

I may watch a match if the Dutch make it to the finals but doubtful that I will spend any time as Koeman has lost the thread completely. I will be interested if one of the best CBs in La Liga gets any match time!!!

4. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Xavi never had a proper chance to play in the midfield in Oranje, not even in friendlies… Xavi shines as AM for Leipzig, and he looks very awkward in RW. Yet Koeman kept playing him there stubbornly. Overall terrible mismanagement by genius Koeman.

Now Frenkie (and Koopmeiners) are out, there goes the midfield creativity and flair down the drain. Would take a fast learning for Xavi to get ready in midfield, should he is needed there. Joey will have a huge task to cover, and yep, Reijnders is no AM, he’s a box-to-box.

richsavare repped this.
  5. I don't think it's possible to replace him, because it's not a new injury.

6. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Everyone needs to watch carefully singing the praises of Veerman.
    Iceland was not bothered to pressure him tonight which made him look great, but that said his defensive play is utter shite.
    He does not get stuck in and allowed his man a clean shot that struck post tonight.
    You just can’t have that occur in a real match.
    Veerman work off the ball is not great either and he has to be one of the slowest guys on the pitch.
    For the Frenkie detractors on here let’s see how we Manage against the press without the best player in the game playing out of the back?
    Not only does he bring ball out under pressure like no other, he plays well between the lines, and can run all day long.
    I think Reijnders can do it, but no Frenkie is a huge loss.
    Koopmeiners injured too is another big problem as he can play in a few areas of the Midfield very well.
    Hope and pray it’s not serious.

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  7. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    • The starting 11 vs Iceland will be the starting 11 for Euro. It will be Gakpo and Xavi to start as wingers, Dumfries as RB. Frimpong and Geertruida will be subbed in together as a pair. I like Frimpong and Memphis chemistry.
    • Who would Koeman call up to replace FDJ? Stengs or another player in a different position (says a forward, Summerville, Dallinga and move Xavi back to midfield? or Maatsen to back up van de Ven and move Blind up to midfield)
    • Koop's injury is also a concern. The midfield suddenly looks very thin.
    • In the event that a player on the submitted squad list suffers from an injury or illness prior to his team's first match of the tournament, that player can be replaced, provided that the team doctor and a doctor from the UEFA Medical Committee both confirm that the injury or illness is severe enough to prevent the player from participating in the tournament. Should a goalkeeper suffer from an injury or illness after his team's first match of the tournament, he could still be replaced, even if the other goalkeepers from the squad are still available. A player who had been replaced on the player list can't be readmitted to the list. (From Euro 2024 wiki page)
    • It is a shame that some very good players missed the big tournament one way or another (disagreement with coaching, injury, not being called up) that Frenkie now missed a major tournament like Cruyff, Gullit, Van Basten, Van Nistelrooy, Makaay, Van Dijk...
    • I loved to see the 3 Euro 88 shirts with Gullit, Van Basten and Rijkaard on the stand. What a memory!

8. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Confirmed Koopmeiners out too.

9. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Koopmeiners ruled out is another terrible loss after Frenkie.
    2 out of 3 Starters in Midfield gone.
    Maatsen called into the team .

10. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Wow… Oranje midfield has been terribly unlucky with injuries: Frenkie, Koopmeiners, Q. Timber, Wieffer (and De Roon). Crazy that all these injuries hit at the same time, what are the odds!

Time to unleash Xavi!

11. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    So two starter midfielders are replaced by a LB… hmm, what’s the logic here? :whistling::x3: Koeman has lost the plot, he needs Stengs!

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  12. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    #1037 Jpows, Jun 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    Frenkie and Koop out is disastrous. Maybe even catastrophic for our chances of getting deep into the tournament. With that being said, the only ray of hope is that we seem to have been doing fine without them up to this point, even if against the likes of Canada and Iceland (who did beat England). If Koeman puts Xavi in midfield I think a lot is possible.

We’re slowly getting to the point of Gini being a starter at the EC due to lack of other options. I wonder if Stengs will be called up now for some creativity in midfield though Xavi would be the better option for that role.

It really is a shame that Q. Timber couldn’t be fit in time. We really lack some muscle in midfield and I’m not a Schouten fan.

richsavare repped this.
  13. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    On a separate injury topic… am reading that Lewandonski has been ruled out for the fist match v. Oranje this Sunday. Though I think Virgil and Ake would have handled old and sluggish Lewandonski quite easily, anyway. :rolleyes::thumbsup:

14. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think he will be back for the knockout rounds

15. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    • I would call up Maatsen, use him as back up LB to Van De Ven or use him as LW. Move Blind to midfield.
    • I would move Xavi back to midfield. Call up Stengs. The options are scarce. Now we are getting into the unknown territories : Reis, Matusiwa, Summerville, Kluivert. Stengs seems to be the front runner choice. If take a risk, take Summerville.

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  16. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I guess not. He's out of the Euro :(

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Anyone who gets called up at this late date will have likely been on vacation as the season for everyone other than Maatsen ended by mid-May. There are not many MFs and some of those mentioned such as Summerville only played on the wing.

I know who I would call up but I'm not saying (though you all can guess).

18. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  19. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    I read that Koeman will not call up 26th player. He asked for 3 extra players and now not using 1 of 3. What? With that many injuries, just use it. If not Stengs, how about Quinten Timber? Even he may not play, it is good for a young promising player and he is on the provisional squad. What a manager!

Brilliant Oranje repped this.
  20. 50497

Looks like the Orange Squad's opener against Poland will be the match of the absent stars.

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Is Brobbey out??

22. :cautious:
    Brian Brobbey leaves early training of the Dutch team with pain in his foot with video
    Brian Brobbey didn't make it to the end of practice Wednesday afternoon. The Ajax striker went in a little earlier than his teammates from the Dutch national team. It's not clear why he went in earlier. Sports Editors 12-06-24, 14:27 Last update: 14:54

You jinxed him?

23. 50665

The Eredivisie will deliver 16 players to this European Championship, six of them with the Dutch national team.

24. De zestien eredivisiespelers op het EK in Duitsland
    Feyenoord

Justin Bijlow en Lutsharel Geertruida (Nederland)
    Dávid Hancko en Leo Sauer (Slowakije)
    Gernot Trauner (Oostenrijk)
    Luka Ivanusec (Kroatië)
    Ondrej Lingr (Tsjechië)
    Ajax
    Brian Brobbey en Steven Bergwijn (Nederland)
    Josip Sutalo en Borna Sosa (Kroatië)
    Ahmetcan Kaplan (Turkije)
    PSV
    Joey Veerman en Jerdy Schouten (Nederland)
    Johan Bakayoko (België)
    FC Twente
    Michal Sadílek (Tsjechië)