EURO 2024: Is there any hope????

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jun 17, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    I hope to see Schouten, Koop and Reijders start and play well together tomorrow. Koeman should prepare the team to play well when Frankie is not available, one way or another.

Jpows, richsavare and Brilliant Oranje repped this.
  2. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I hope Xavi is getting a look in the attacking center of midfield… he’s a beast when he sits behind the striker, and can make smart runs to the box (Xavi as a winger is not a natural fit, IMHO). And without Frenkie, the team will need Xavi’s flair and creativity, very badly.

3. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He hasnt been able to carry his club success into Oranje though (at least not yet).
    I think he's more valuable coming off the bench

4. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Very true! Same argument could be made about Frimpong, though. Just need one breakthrough game in Oranje shirt to get his confidence up, and hell will break loose… mark it! :devilish::devilish:

richsavare, Jpows and gabrielguilarte repped this.
  5. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    With Koeman finally give minutes to Frimpong and deploy him as a right winger, and Malen can also play there, will Koeman finally let Xavi play as an attacking midfielder instead of winger? I wish he will be more open minded and less rigid, and whoever replaces him, fast track some young players into NT rather than U21.

6. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    The starting XI is out:

Verbruggen; Dumfries, De Vrij, Van Dijk, Aké; Veerman, Reijnders, Koopmeiners; Simons, Memphis, Gakpo.

Decent line-up. I'm not the biggest de Vrij fan, he's too slow for my liking, but I suppose Inter did have a great domestic campaign and he deserves a shot to prove himself for the starting XI of the upcoming EC. I'd rather have Ake or van de Ven in his place though Ake might be suspect in the air as a CB. I'd still like to see Frimpong in there even though Dumfries has more experience and is also a solid RB. Furthermore, as @BaritoPutra said, I'd put Xavi right behind the striker in an attacking midfielder role. I'm not the biggest fan of him on the wings, but who knows, he might have a blinder today. I certainly hope so.

It will be interesting to see the dynamics of a midfield consisting of Reijnders, Veerman and Koopmeiners though. Time will tell.

I still think Koeman should have selected Zirkzee. We don't have a striker like him in our ranks; big, skillful and a good finisher. He is more deserving of a call-up than some others that were selected. However, I'd say the same for Maatsen so what the hell do I know.

7. 49537

Line up:
    Opstelling Oranje tegen IJsland (4-3-3)
    Verbruggen; Dumfries, De Vrij, Van Dijk, Aké; Veerman, Reijnders, Koopmeiners; Simons, Depay, Gakpo.

8. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Xavi in the RW again… ugh. I hope he gets a free license to roam to center.

Huge test for Koopmeiners… he’s been in the shadow and not been given a fair chance in Oranje, despite his excellent form at Atalanta. I hope he will dominate the midfield today, and while we’re at it, let’s get Reijnders cooking as well, unleashing his Koeman or Wim Jonk-esque cannon balls.

richsavare repped this.
  9. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Koop's injury is still bothering him.
    Might not start today (according to NOS)

10. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I can’t believe I’m saying this but we all Need to have patience with this team especially the young guys like Xavi.
    If he’s able to play in his hybrid role at Leipzig which sees him drifting from the left he will be just fine, but as Koeman stated it’s all about making the proper decisions on the ball, and keeping his focus.
    Personally I believe if Oranje are assertive with their movement and play fast in possession this will benefit the entire team.

11. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He’s out which really sucks

BPBlueSox repped this.
  12. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    With Koop out tonight unfortunately I would have put Xavi on 10 and out Frimpong back in right wing.

BaritoPutra and Brilliant Oranje repped this.
  13. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is Xavi's chance to shine.
    If he doesnt deliver then Frimpong should start the opener

14. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Right on cue… way to go Xavi! Let this goal be the first of many. Koeman seemed very happy too on the sideline.

richsavare and gabrielguilarte repped this.
  15. gabrielguilarte

Feb 23, 2016
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Yes but still, Frimpong clear on that right wing. I haven’t see a very good Cody today, maybe we can try Simons on the left.

16. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Lots of decent movement from Oranje. Memphis needs to do a better job keeping his footing.
    Veerman having an easy time out there under zero pressure just spooning balls all over.
    Need to pound these guys.
    In other notes I read Lewandowski came off injured tonight in first half.

gabrielguilarte and BPBlueSox repped this.
  17. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Veerman could easily be the MOtM… so graceful with the ball. High IQ. Excellent passing game. What a huge jump. A few months ago, not many people considered him NT material :rolleyes:

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  18. gabrielguilarte

Feb 23, 2016
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Joey is by far the midfielder with more vision in this team. We have to put him three bodyguards so he can work his magic .

19. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He’s under zero pressure tonight it’s a different ball game when the opposition is putting some pressure on.
    On shot that hit post for Iceland that was a poor job by Memphis and then Veerman for not getting out to the man.
    That just can’t happen.
    Frimpong and Malen looking sharp in their brief minutes tonight.

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  20. gabrielguilarte

Feb 23, 2016
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I think Frimpong has that right wing locked for the Euros.

Brilliant Oranje repped this.
  21. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Frenkie out of Euros is being reported. Devastating news if true

22. There are atm only three creative midfielders for the Orange Squad in my opinion, Frenkie de Jong, Joey Veerman and Calvin Stengs.

23. Defensively there were 2 moments, one in the first half with Virgil in the 18th minute completely shutting off, giving the Icelanders a chance if Ake didnot intervene in the last resort and Reijnders in the second half, not being warned by his team mates what was going on behind his back.
    The attacking game in the first 75 minutes was sterile, without speed or imagination. The changes in the last 15 minutes up front made the difference.

24. Koopmeiners and Frenkie out is a serious backlash in quality and depth.

richsavare and bunbohue repped this.
  25. With a groin injury he's at least out for 10 days. Worst case is completely out.