EURO 2024: Is there any hope????

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jun 17, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Frimpong gave Davies (supposedly one of the best RB’s in the world!) a nightmare tonight.

Imagine Dumfries and Frimpong charging forward and linking up from the right flank… that’d be hard to defend!

Where would that leave Xavi though…? :rolleyes: I think he’s been penciled in as a RW (Memphis ST, Gakpo LW, or vice versa).

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  2. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    • I don't see Gini involved much. He may be the type of player that does not involve much of the game then score a goal when unexpected. Anyway I don't see how his performance justified Koeman's decision.
    • Gravenberch shows that he needs to play more. The nervous feel, the touch, the sense (e.g. losing possession, careless) is not where he is capable of. I hope he can play more at the club and get better.
    • Weghorst, Brobbey are what they are. I do not expect more from them.
    • I'm ok with the rest. This is feel more like a B team with a few A team players. Let's see who will play next game.
    • The way Frimpong play, he should start as the winger (Malen can be a sub).

Brilliant Oranje repped this.
  3. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Frimpong outsprinted Davies who is very fast himself.

Xavi and Malen should start on the bench and come on as supersubs to run against tired legs

Teak and gabrielguilarte repped this.
  4. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It has to taken into consideration the quality of cross that frimpong gave into the box. This is what has been missing for some time now and from the left on a sad note when Depay- dropped deep , van Der ven hardly managed to go out and come up with quality crosses. Can't blame him because he make shift LB and this is where Blind shud have been dropped for maatsen. To start blind at CB and give him arm band, I don't understand what koeman was trying to prove. Van Der ven at CB and maatsen at lB would have given more attacking width on the left like on the right.

Unfortunately it's looks it will again be feature at euros, one flank more component than the other. Also recall what happened to frimpong playing upfront in the final Vs Atalanta. Hope he can continue replicating his outings Vs top guns as well

Teak, Jpows and gabrielguilarte repped this.
  5. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tactically this is how I saw the 4-3-3 working

Depay- brobbery

Wijnaldum

Van Der ven - gravenberch - schouten- frimpong

Blind- de ligt- geertruida

When frimpong went high geertruida moved up and van Der ven dropped to back three and Depay- further dropping deep.

The only drawback was van Der ven can't penetrate high enough and this is where maatsen would have been more influential with van Der ven in blind's spot.I don't know what koeman is trying to prove starting Blind at CB against minows.

6. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #982 richsavare, Jun 7, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2024
    Truly there is stupidity by Koeman starting Blind at CB and playing Wijnaldum the full match yesterday but reading some of his comments he mentions that everyone will play in these 2 friendlies so hopefully he sees what is poor, and does what needs to be done.
    That said, subbing off Blind was good to see, but his words after the game about Gini are concerning with Koeman blaming Gravenberch and Schouten for Gini’s problems.
    In reality Schouten played well being simple and Recycling possession while Gravenberch carried the ball some which was ok, but too much ball loss was not good enough to see him get any significant play in the upcoming Euros.
    Gini was just not good enough, and seemed slow like he was in “sand” with his possession and ball handling on the night.
    I’ll say it again the best MF 3 are Frenkie, Reijnders, and Koopmeiners so that threesome will only add positive distribution and faster possession play which is a must.
    Brobbey’s hold up play, strength, and his ability for combination play is very good, and impacts the game positively, with Memphis mentioning afterwards how he liked the way it went.
    Brobbey judged hard on his finishing is still developing, but playing with these better players will help him immensely.
    I think Brobbey is an excellent option for Koeman and the Oranje attack.
    The overall squad depth is quite strong, and I really think Oranje are very capable of playing extremely well at these upcoming Euros.
    The big questions will be if they can get that proper flow and speed in possession along with proactive movement in the attack while keeping a tighter defensive shape between the midfield & defensive lines especially against the opponents transition by limiting spaces to play into.
    Defending free kicks, and corners has to be spot on at all times with an aggressive first to the ball mentality, with no guys switching off.
    Hoping for a good final tuneup against Iceland, and than revaluation for the tournament proper.

Jpows repped this.
  7. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Its not though. Some of the starters need rest after a long season.
    There's no way Blind and Gig will start at the Euro unless there's a bunch of injuries

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  8. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Both shouldn't have been selected...

richsavare and gabrielguilarte repped this.
  9. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I’ve read in a few different places that Gini is a full time starter.
    Let’s hope that it’s not true.
    Blind? should not see a second of match action.

Jpows repped this.
  10. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Germany 0 - 1 Greece at HT.
    Neuer made a huge blunder for the goal.
    He's 38 now, I wonder if age is starting to show.

Also England 0 - 1 Iceland at HT :eek:

11. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Koeman thinks highly of them. We just hope a new coach give a chance to younger players than these 2 dinosaurs.

12. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Same England Iceland score full time. I hope NT - Iceland test will be a better test than Canada match. I think we will see more starters in the lineup, probably close to the starting lineup as possible.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Mighty England can't even score against Iceland. Southgate has lost the club by cutting Grealish.

14. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England is cursed with Harry kane and Southgate.

15. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That loss is almost as bad as our 2 losses against Iceland :ROFLMAO:

16. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I dont think thats true. At least it had better not be true.

Reijnders and Koop werent even in Holland until today, so there's no way they couldve played vs. Canada.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/1852...elkomd-door-ek-selectie-oranje-op-knvb-campus

They will both get playing time against Iceland, and Depay is expected to play the full 90.
    I expect pretty much our full A-team for this game (except for Frenkie)

17. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  18. To prepare for the Poland confrontation Koeman has to try which combo of players work.
    The in the past fruitfull combo Gini-Memphis obviously failed, but Koeman blamed Gravenberch for that.
    Although there's truth in that, it wasnot due to Gravenberch that Gini had some sloppy touches. They both shouldnot be on the players list.
    Stengs should have been there for one of those two.
    Given what I saw of Gravenberch, he has to improve fast under Slot or he's out in the winterstop.
    Will the combo Denzel-Frimpong work?
    The danger Frimpong delivers is with his speed on the outside, taking on the left back. Denzel strength lies there too with his speed and power to bully his way through the defense. I'm afraid both on that side will nullify either strong point, penetrating with speed.
    My preference would be to try Frimpong on the left.
    For the midfield Veerman with his creativity should be in the midfield when Frenky is awol.
    To join him/Frenky you have to make a choice between 3 in form/starring players. To me the first one is Reijnders. The other spot has to be filled by either Koopmeiners or Schouten.
    In front I'm not sold on Brobbey. His antics with his butt facing the opponents goal don't work at this level. He should profit from his speed with his face towards the goal, but in the Eredivisie and in UEFA comp. he hasnot got a good record finishing those chances.
    No Weghorst please.

19. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Dumfries and frimpongs will be complicated.frimpong will have to drift inside to make room for Dumfries to overlap. Mean while with geertruida, he doesn't venture high enough and frimpong can drop deep to have more space for counter offensive. At the same time let's don't forget what happened to frimpong Vs Atalanta in Europa final. Easily naturalized with double tagging marking. This is something that could realistically be a feature Vs big teams.

On top brobbery needs more confidence and the fact that Depay was able to move freely around looked adventurous and plus creative as well. It is like playing with two man upfront.

20. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Croatia and Serbia could be dark horse well imo. They have players who have been playing together for something now. If they go into that clickmode which you often see in tournaments like hungry in the last euros, there will be upsets

21. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How foolish of Koeman to blame Gravenberch & Schouten for Gini poor play. Gini simply looked slow going to the ball and very slow when In possession.
    Gravenberch will have to hope Slot can get him going at Liverpool but he does have some quality, his problem has been lack of work rate in my opinion.
    Forget about Frimpong to the left that’s not going to happen.
    Van de Ven will likely be there.
    Dumfries will need to be more disciplined with his raids forward.
    Veerman isn’t ready for this level and I don’t see him getting much time with other better options than him.
    As for Stengs he’s just not strong enough either when it comes down to it.
    He certainly lost some of his pace I think also, but after seeing Gini I’m sure he feels hard done by.

22. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    France draw Canada 0-0, but they played with a partial B-team