EURO 2024: Is there any hope????

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jun 17, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Looks like the best selection one could hope for....too bad Stengs is injured, otherwise he would have been selected instead of Gini.

Blind over Hato makes sense... the former bring experience, leadership and versatility (can play LWB) even though he is like 70 years old or something. Hato can wait, he needs to focus on club first.

Van de Ven over Botman also makes sense (touch luck for Botman as can't get his first cap just yet).

Great to see Zirkzee upfront... another option to try. And yes, finally, Q. Timber!!

2. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    blind over Maatsen is just yet another rotten selection when he is not gonna be starter and will be subject to minutes vs average teams or camoes when the victory is secured. Even if they have looked at his experience factor only and which it is again, he is a liability and in those final stages will drag the team down. Maatsen shud have been called up and if he would have not done well, then directly call up blind for euros as back up. I mean two games wouldn’t have made any difference to test his experience factor and given when he is going to be a bench player at most.
    Same treatment as Frimpong when he moved over to leverkusen and was being overlooked and dropped to JO.

Look at this stupidity man, hato and meijer are both there but Maatsen is dropped there again

Next looking at 2026, what’s the use of carrying on with blind when he has nothing to add on after euros. This is why the NT are always one step back in player transition. Waste of time and waste of spot.

But either way they ain’t gonna win and plus koeman to be kicked out after euros. Fresh start for nations league

3. Van Bergkamp

Van Bergkamp New Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 3, 2023
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  4. No chance for Nigeria.
    Zirkzee is going to be the top front man for the Orange Squad in WC2026.
    With the Orange Squad he's with a perennial (even when we're not that good) competitor in World Cups and he plays in the Euro's, which basically is a WC without Argentina and Brasil.
    Seeing the quality of guys of his age and younger in all lines, it even gives prospects of glory.
    With Nigeria you end up in a dead end street.

AGomes repped this.
  5. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Maatsen is very weak defensively and physically and needs improvement.
    That said picking Blind makes me sick.
    Wijnaldum you knew would be chosen after Koeman went to see him in Sand Land.
    I’ve always been a strong supporter of Gini, but he shouldn’t be called with some of our developing midfield talent coming through.
    Zirkzee better make final squad also.
    Picking Weghorst over him is stupid.
    To be fair we are vulnerable in Goal, but other than that I believe Oranje is strong.

bunbohue and AGomes repped this.
  6. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Maatsen scored for Dortmund today… after winning the ball with a robust challenge in the center of the field, had a solo run and finished with style. The move to BVB seems to be working out well for him as he is getting more minutes there (v. before at Chelsea). Definitely the one to watch in the pipeline for weeks/months to come… Koeman definitely needs a natural pacy wing back to cover for Hartman. Ake should play centrally. Malacia can’t get healthy. Blind is a tortoise (old and slow).

bunbohue repped this.
  7. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You forget Blind was undisputed for how many years with the same attributes slow and weak but was accommodated for his strengths. Maatsen does time to time get exposed especially when last man standing but that's part and parcel of every defenders itnernary. He ain't no work over and does put up go fight compared to blind who defensively is a lability.

On the hand maatsen offensively is way better than blind

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think everyone is giving Blind a bad rap and compairing him to Maatsen. If Koeman plays three in the back, there is a place for Blind as a sub for Ake. Blind has been solid for Girona who are in 2nd place in La Liga.

Brilliant Oranje repped this.
  9. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #534 wilson00, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    No he is not. Ake and van de ven shud be lock for LCB position. Van dijk, ake,van der ven, de ligt,de vrij and geertruida shud be the 3 man backline options.

Neither an option in the crowded midfield.

Like I said waste of time and a spot. His selection is just to make everybody happy.inclusion.whether he plays or not doesnt matter. Maatsen could have a good impact off the bench. With blind?????

bunbohue repped this.
  10. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    With the attacker option is getting better than before (Memphis returning, Brobbey and Malen improving, Zirkzee emerging), I hope Koeman is done with the 352/532 and return to the old-fashioned Dutch 4-3-3 formation. There’s also still chance for Lang and Bergwijn to get healthier and hit the form before Summer’s Euro, to add competition for the front line options.

The CD’s are stacked… Ake and Van de Ven on left hand side, Virgil and Geertruida on the right, with De Ligt covering both sides.

Blind will probably end up competing for a back-up LB (covering Hartman). As of now, I think he has the edge over Maatsen as Blind’s calling card is his experience and leadership. But Maatsen is rising, we’ll see how fast he can gain ground, there are still a lot of games yet to be played this season.

11. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    God knows what Koeman is thinking about or watching, but hopefully he does not pick Geertruida who has not played well for Oranje and not impressed at Feyenoord in the Champions League.
    As far as formations go there are truly several systems that can be used which is a real plus because I see plenty of options and strong talent in the ranks.
    I just get so pissed reading the names Blind, De Roon, Weghorst, and Wijnaldum.

12. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It’s truly a miracle Oranje have gotten away with playing Blind so much over the years with his severe lack of speed, strength, and athleticism clearly showing.
    He has been victimized for several goals as well, and like I say often the video doesn’t lie.
    As I unfortunately predicted he was badly at fault on the first goal, in a game of real consequence during the World Cup QF against the scum Argentina.
    Thanks to Blind where his wandering/slow positioning left Messi of all people to create more space to attack, while not running hard enough to attempt a recovery.
    It’s just an ugly reality and visual along with his abysmal play at Ajax last year especially in the Champions League before finally being sent packing.
    Why does he get the call still?

13. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I suspect Blind will only be a backup for Hartman.

I'm fine with that

14. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  15. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    BPBlueSox repped this.
  16. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  17. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Looks like heavy ligament sprain from what I read.... could be out 6-8 weeks. If Frenkie is back by mid to late April, it'd probably be the best outcome and I would be happy. That would give him a month or so, and a handful of games at the tail of the season (La Liga ends May 26th), to regain his fitness and rhythm, and then hopefully he will be fresh for Euro in June.

18. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  19. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #544 Brilliant Oranje, Mar 8, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
  20. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Was reading an article, dutch whereby koeman was interviewed and revealed he is looking at players outside of the pre selected due injuries. I thought it was to that of de jongs injury and the player could well be matusiwa. Just guessing here though.

21. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  22. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He is due back in april. Depay and gakpo on the other hand can cover up on that left wing with brobbey, zirkzee and weghorst up front.

23. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not sure what you guys see in Zirkzee, he looks quite average to me

Orange14 repped this.
  24. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #549 wilson00, Mar 9, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
    It looks like you have forgotten about when he first jumped onto the top flight at bayern

Its makes a big difference with quality of players around you and the team you playing in.its the same as when Lewandoski or haland have to go and play in their national teams

25. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I’ve watched Zirkzee a few times and he’s playing well.
    Important to note that Bologna has a bright and upcoming Manager in the former Italian National Team player Thiago Motta who is playing some pretty decent football with a flexible 4-1-4-1 formation.
    Zirkzee has a lot of freedom and moves around a lot, dropping into midfield, going wide and shows nice skill and fluidity with his movement, and athleticism.
    I think he has a good future, but needs to be smart regarding his possible next move having been linked to Juventus,AC Milan, ManU, and Arsenal.
    I would be happy to see him stay another season under the tutelage of Motta who is also being linked to “bigger” clubs, but all that being said I hope he is picked by Koeman for Oranje and certainly has much more to offer than Wout Weghorst.