Euro 2024 Group E (Belgium/Slovakia/Romania/Ukraine)

Discussion in 'Euro 2024 - Germany' started by Fullerov, Jun 17, 2024.

1. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In the opening games of Group E, I have predicted wins for Ukraine and Belgium.

Romania 1 - Ukraine 2
    Belgium 2 Slovakia 0

How does everyone else feel?

2. AlexCr

AlexCr Member

Chelsea
    Romania
    Nov 13, 2023
    As a Romanian I don’t feel very confident. A draw today will be huge. Some questionable decisions about our starting IX but we will see

3. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I predict it ends this way:
    1. Belgium
    2. Slovakia
    3. Ukraine
    4. Romania

4. Xylophone

Xylophone Member

Fiorentina
    Jan 30, 2018
    I bet you absolutely love how wrong you were. :D

5. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I am very surprised. I knew Ukraine could never be trusted but I did think Romania was the weakest team in the whole tournament coming into this.

6. AlexCr

AlexCr Member

Chelsea
    Romania
    Nov 13, 2023
    You can bet I am. But I have to admit I didn’t expect at all from us to score such a goals

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Just checked my bracket. Surprised I had Romania in second.
    1. Belgium
    2. Romania
    3. Ukraine (advances)
    4. Slovakia

8. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
    What a GAG moment !!!!!:D:D:D:D:D
    Belgium also wasted two great occasions.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Lukaku picking up what where he left off in his last major int'l tournament game against Croatia.

cdcooker repped this.
  10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Belgium robbed! The fact that the referee only watched super slo-mo replays of the so-called handball just doesn't sit well with me.

11. AlexCr

AlexCr Member

Chelsea
    Romania
    Nov 13, 2023
    It was clear as daylight from replays and ball sensors that he touched the ball with his hand and that’s it… rules are rules. I am not debating if it’s fair or not I’m just saying that these are the rules so…

cdcooker and HomietheClown repped this.
  12. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I told you all about Slovakia and that Ukraine can never be trusted!

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    He took a couple more touches though and then passed the ball. So, don't think that qualifies as "immediately before setting up a goal". So, then it comes down to whether it was intentional or not..

It's not an objective call like you are implying.

14. AlexCr

AlexCr Member

Chelsea
    Romania
    Nov 13, 2023
    It’s a handball in the build up of a goal and that’s it… and again I am not saying it’s fair or not I am just saying what the rules are. From my point of view I would have been more than happy for the goal to count.

HomietheClown repped this.
  15. AlexCr

AlexCr Member

Chelsea
    Romania
    Nov 13, 2023
    hopefully we can maintain our good form for the next 2 matches and we will get 1 point which should qualify us for knockout rounds

16. Xylophone

Xylophone Member

Fiorentina
    Jan 30, 2018
    There is a real possibility of all four teams ending up with 4 points each. Very unpredictable group after today's games.

17. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Not to take any credit away from Romania, and they did play a great game. However, don't get too excited yet. Ukraine really are a team that flop on the big stage and are known to really embarrass themselves in major tournaments. Many people don't seem to be aware, but you can never ever trust the Ukrainians in a major tournament, and to be honest, I feel they are weaker now than they were when Konoplyanka and Yarmolenko were at their primes.

In the past tournament, Ukraine only won against North Macedonia in the group stage. Not to mention in the qualifiers they topped a group with Portugal in it and beat them 2-1 at home, and drew away. They did beat Sweden in Round of 16, but Sweden was down to 10-men when they scored the winner. Then got humiliated by England and were lucky it was only 4-0.

I just want to let you all know that Ukraine might get a few good results against top teams occasionally but they are NOT to be trusted EVER.

All that to say, if Romania manage to limit the defeats against Belgium and Slovakia to only 1 goal they should have enough to advance as Top 4 best third place teams,. and that is at the worst. If they can get any points against one of Belgium or Slovakia, they should advance easily.

After watching Romania today, I do think they have a chance to take some points from the other teams, but I still fancy Slovakia and Belgium as favorites for Top 2.

18. AlexCr

AlexCr Member

Chelsea
    Romania
    Nov 13, 2023
    1 more point will be more than enough for us to qualify. Tbh right now we are not in a bad spot to get it because we have a good team spirit and good confidence and that’s are most important things about our national team. Everyone knows that we kind of lack of talent(even though we scored some great goals today) and we need the confidence, team spirit and a good support from the stands. There is a huge demand between Romanian fans for next games so fans will be there, we have the confidence. We just have to not bottle it. Anyway this win is already more than half of Romanians expect from this tournament.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Romania played with a lot of heart. Very entertaining.

BocaFan repped this.
  20. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Yes!!

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Then why did the referee have to view the incident on the monitor? The VAR can make objective calls on his/her own. This had to have been a subjective call. And I'm not upset about the final decision, it just doesn't sit well with me when subjective calls are made purely on the basis of super slo-mo replays.

BTW, the new interpretation of the law is that it has to be immediately before the goal if its an unintentional handball. Not just in the buildup. The word "immediately" is explicitly written in the rule.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Indeed, it shows where effort and desire can get you. The starting XI is full of lower division and Romania-based players, yet they looked fairly solid throughout.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It was very harsh but from what I have been reading/hearing it was the right call. People are complaining though that something like that would not have been called in the Premier League for instance. UEFA seems to have stricter application of the rule.

I personally think it is a bit strict but it was a hand ball so play should be dead there.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Confidence and team unity is very important heading into a tournament.
    Those Goals were not cheap either. Very good shooting techniques.

25. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I guess having a Real Madrid goalkeeper does not mean he will not make mistakes...