Euro 2024 Group D (Poland/Netherlands/Austria/France

Discussion in 'Euro 2024 - Germany' started by Fullerov, Jun 16, 2024.

1. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I had already feared for Poland in this group before the recent injuries, but will be hoping they do well. A great bunch of lads.

Austria seem pretty inconsistent to me, but are dark horses to others...

Poland 0 Netherlands 2
    Austria 0 France 3

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I have Austria reaching the quarters in my bracket. France to the semis; Holland to finish third in the group, but advancing. Holland's first game is a must-not-lose situation though.

3. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Seeing the crowd in these games and the previous one can we retroactively say eff Qatar

BocaFan repped this.
  4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Interestingly, there are "visit Qatar" advertisement boards around the pitches at these Euros.

Ummm...no. I and most people avoided it during the WC. Why tf world we go there when there's no football? Your target group are old people that go on cruise ships, not footy fans.

5. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    These are my predictions:

1. France
    2. Austria
    3. Netherlands
    4. Poland

I originally had Netherlands second but changed my mind after the injuries to De Jong and Koopmeiners. And it seems those were extremely decisive after watching Netherlands vs Poland today. Netherlands really struggled to create anything.

6. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Austria will need a whole lot of luck to advance from this group. If France blows them out on Monday I don't see them beating Poland. Quite possibly Piland advances from second if its a death match between Holland and Austria assuming France has already qualified by that time. Strangely enough this has become a pretty wide open group.

7. AlexCr

AlexCr Member

Chelsea
    Romania
    Nov 13, 2023
    Poland lost to Netherlands so it will be difficult for them to finish ahead given the fact that they will be behind Netherlands if just the two of them will be level on points. They need either: - make 4 potints from next two games and Netherlands and Austria to finish with 3 or all 3 teams(Poland, Netherlands and Austria) to finish with 3 points and have a better GD

8. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Why does anyone think France will blow out Austria? I expect France to win but it’ll be close by likely one goal or maximum two. France is generally not high scoring against defensive teams that park the bus.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, should be a close match. Austria are a decent side and France has no midfield with Tchouameni out. I know Griezmann had a great WC but seems like they may be going to the well once too often if France are relying on another strong tournament from him. And has anyone even seen Kante in the last 3 years? All of a sudden he pops up on this France squad. Another sign of desperation, imo.

10. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Actually I think Camavinga is France’s best midfielder but Tchouameni is key too. Kante is decent; just plays in the Saudi pro league. He’s in a bit of decline but not finished yet.

11. redstarforever_

Feb 23, 2017
    sydney
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    France has a solid organised defence

12. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    OK I seriously do believe that France and Austria are the two best teams in this group. Netherlands I really was not impressed with. First goal was pure luck from a deflection, and second goal, Weghorst was not marked at all. Poland also one of the weakest teams in the tournament.

Netherlands clearly lack quality with their 3 best midfielders injured.

The big question is, will Netherlands minimize the defeats enough to get through as a Top 4 third placed team?

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Mbappé has to have some sort of psychological obstacle when it comes to the Euros.
    For him to miss that chance was just unlike him.

Saying it is the most difficult tournament recently probably made him have that mental block. It is becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy because he truly thinks it is difficult. He should chill out.

14. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    What happened to Mbappe? He seemed pretty injured late in the game.

15. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Does anyone agree that the France vs Austria game was probably the most world class match we’ve seen in the whole tournament so far? It’s the first match where I can say that BOTH Teams played exceptionally well!!! France did have slightly better quality, but both fought so hard and made world class plays and tactics! This was definitely the highest quality match I’ve seen all tournament. So far, the rest were either very low quality or just very one-sided with one team pretty dominant.

16. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #16 Metropolitan, Jun 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
    Everyone is praising Austria, but am I the only who felt they played very rough? They had quite slow defenders and compensated in making many fouls.

HomietheClown repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Broken nose. Does not need surgery but needs to wear a mask.
    Media is not certain if he will play against Netherlands. Probably will be a game time decision.

18. IconoclasticFury

Netherlands
    Nov 12, 2017
    Lol, no way. Netherlands is Netherlands and will always get out of the group, probably as group winners but more likely as nr 2.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Netherlands will be okay.

20. Actually Kante was my man of the match!

Metropolitan and HomietheClown repped this.
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He was flying everywhere on that field. Tracked back and made sure they could not shoot cleanly on some plays too.

Thought his level would go down playing in the Middle East but he still looks solid.

22. Mbappe results in the Euro tournement:
    upload_2024-6-18_15-8-45.png

In 4 matches zero goals, well...make that 5!!!
    However he always scores against us it seems.
    One of the 2 has to give...you know which one I prefer.:D

IconoclasticFury repped this.
  23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    True, but overall the midfield was not good. Easy to see how a top team could really dominate the midfield later on in the tournament.

24. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Defensively the midfield worked well with Rabiot, Kanté and the lateral defender Théo Hernandez often moving up to feed forwards.

It's rather the attack which didn't work. Thuram felt out of position, not really knowing what to do, Griezmann felt out of shape, maybe too low on the field, and Giroud was lacking as a center-forward. As a result, accelerations from Mbappé and Dembélé often felt toothless, leading to nowhere.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I guess Griezmann has to play pretty low in the field if he's the 4th forward.
    So yeah, strange to use failed Brazil 2022 WC tactics, but its only the first game...