Euro 2021

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Aug 29, 2018.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The FA have made a bid with the following stadiums selected

Brighton & Hove - AMEX Stadium
    London - Wembley Stadium connected by EE and Brentford Community Stadium
    Milton Keynes - Stadium MK
    Manchester - Manchester City Academy Stadium
    Nottingham - Meadow Lane
    Peterborough - ABAX Stadium
    Rotherham - AESSEAL New York Stadium
    Sheffield - Bramall Lane

UEFA’s deadline for bids to stage the tournament is 31 August 2018, with a final decision on the successful host nation to be taken by the UEFA Executive Committee on 3 December 2018.

blissett repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Any other bids, as of now?

3. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Are some of those English stadiums small?

4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    England and Hungary as per twitter chatter. Austria decided not to bid apparently.

blissett repped this.
  5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    London - Wembley Stadium 90 000
    Sheffield - Bramall Lane 32 702
    Brighton & Hove - AMEX Stadium 30 750
    Milton Keynes - Stadium MK 30 500
    Nottingham - Meadow Lane 19 840
    London - Brentford Community Stadium ( not built yet) 17 250
    Peterborough - ABAX Stadium 15 310
    Rotherham - AESSEAL New York Stadium 12 020
    Manchester - Manchester City Academy Stadium 7 000 ( City Women stadium, next to the Eithad)

blissett repped this.
  6. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    blissett repped this.
  7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The qualification draw takes place now on the 22/02/2019 15 places available alongside the host.

8. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    England will be a great host for 2021, I'm sure. The tourney will further boost the pro leagues in the country, which will be a good thing, and have carry-over benefits for other regions as well.

9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Draw procedure

• Nine groups will be formed: two with six teams, and seven with five.
    • Each side is placed in one of five seeding pots (four of nine and one of 11) depending on their coefficient ranking.
    • A ball will first be drawn from Pot 5 to determine the team in the sixth position of Group A. A second ball will be drawn from Pot 5 to determine the team in the sixth position of Group B. A third ball will be drawn to determine the team in the fifth position of Group A. Then a fourth ball will be drawn from Pot 5 to determine the team in the fifth position of Group B. The same procedure is repeated until the fifth position in Group I is filled.
    • Then, the nine teams in Pot 4 are drawn into the fourth position of each group, starting with Group A and ending with Group I (in alphabetical order).
    • The same procedure applies to Pots 3 to 1 taking into consideration the respective positions within the respective groups
    • Based on the UEFA Executive Committee decisions valid at the time of the draw, Kosovo cannot be drawn with either Bosnia and Herzegovina or Serbia.
    • Matches will be played home and away from 26 August 2019 to 22 September 2020.

Seedings

Pot 1: France*, Germany*, Netherlands (holders)*, Spain*, Sweden*, Norway*, Switzerland, Scotland*, Italy*

Pot 2: Austria, Denmark, Iceland, Belgium, Russia, Wales, Ukraine, Finland, Czech Republic

Pot 3: Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Hungary, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belarus

Pot 4: Turkey, Slovakia, Croatia, Northern Ireland, Greece, Israel, Kazakhstan, Albania, Moldova

Pot 5: Faroe Islands, Malta, FYR Macedonia, Estonia, Montenegro, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Kosovo

*Competing at 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

Who qualifies?

• The group winners and the three runners-up with the best record against the sides first, third, fourth and fifth in their sections will join hosts England in the final tournament.

• The other six runners-up will play off in October 2020 for the remaining three berth in the 16-team finals to be held the following summer.

Road to England: calendar

Qualifying group stage draw: 13:30CET, 21 February 2019, Nyon
    Qualifying group stage dates: 26 August–3 September 2019, 30 September–8 October 2019, 4–12 November 2019, 2–11 March 2020, 6–14 April 2020, 1–9 June 2020, 14–22 September 2020
    Play-off draw: 25 September 2020, Nyon
    Play-offs (two legs): 19–27 October 2020
    Final tournament draw: late 2020, England
    Final tournament: July 2021, England

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Most of the teams on pot 2 look dangerous: many of them did well at Euro 2017 or were very close to qualifying for WWC 2019 (including two of the teams that played-off with Netherlands) or both things (Austria, Denmark, Iceland, Belgium, Wales).

Pot 3 also has some potentially dangerous teams, as Portugal or Poland. :coffee:

I can't frankly see any of the teams from pot 4 or below actually competing for a berth.

12. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Shame we don't have most of the federations participating. No Luxembourg, Andorra or Bulgaria.

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Although I am Italian, I am not sure if San Marino ever had a Women's NT (although they sure have a Men's Side).

14. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #15 SiberianThunderT, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Maybe good enough for one upset of a Pot 1 team, but not the 2 or 3 upsets that would be needed to actually win a group or challenge for the title. Even moreso for Portugal and Poland.

- - - - -

As a comparison, here's what the top 3 pots would look like if UEFA used FIFA's rankings instead of their own, with stars representing switched pots:
    1 - Germany, France, Netherlands, Sweden, Spain, Norway, Italy, Denmark**, Switz
    2 - Scotland**, Belgium, Iceland, Austria, Ukraine, Russia, Finland, Wales, Czech Rep
    3 - Portugal, Ireland, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Hungary, Slovakia**, Croatia**, Slovenia
    (4 - B&H**, Belarus**)

There's certainly some interesting shuffling within each pot, such as the distance between Austria and Ukraine in the two systems, but those intrapot differences don't matter. The only big issue here is that Scotland, which "should" be a pot 2 team, is in pot 1 and thus will get an easier draw than maybe expected, at the expense of Denmark who will now get a harder draw since they're not in pot 1 like they "should" be.

Granted, these are the Dec. FIFA rankings, and I haven't tried figuring out what any friendlies since then have done.

blissett repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I didn't see this while I was typing my other post, but IIRC the UEFA Nations League only exists for the men at the moment. If it's been talked about for WNTs as well, I don't remember discussion going anywhere.

17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, not League of Nations yet.

18. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Groups D and E could be the ones where qualification will be most contested? Or what do you think, guys?

20. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    ...or H
    On a good day I wouldn't put a draw past Croatia against both Switzerland and Belgium and they can certainly compete with Romania.

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Depends on if you're talking about the top spots per group (for direct qualification) or the dogfight for the top-three second-place spots.

For the top spot, I think E will be the least clear-cut, with B and H potentially up there as well.

For the second-place spots, any group where the theoretical #2 is more likely to drop points beneath them are groups where it's almost guaranteed that they won't be among the top-three second-place-rs, so I'd count out groups A, E, and I. (Yes, E to me looks pretty even from 1 to 3.) So that leaves potentially the second-place-rs from B and H maybe taking some extra points from their top teams while C/D/F/G all look more stratified to me - so it's among those four groups where I think the race to avoid the playoffs will be fought.

sbahnhof repped this.
  22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'll admit I was thinking more about the first category (top-spot) for group E, and the latter (the fight for second place) for group D (Spain should definitely win the group, but it's not much clear to me if Czech Republic or Poland will grab second place).

Yes, I'll admit Italy wasn't very lucky: they arguablly got the worst possible pot 2 team in Denmark... :unsure:

sbahnhof repped this.
  23. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the men's Euros just getting pushed to 2021, the women's Euros will move to 2022:

1239918132271222786 is not a valid tweet id

sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  24. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Gutted, oh well, that's life. Nothing we can do really.

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's dumb, but at least that's a good point how it won't be competing directly with the MWC that year. But it *will* make qualifying for the 2023 WWC an issue... Does the EURO now become one round of qualification in and of itself? That is, if we assume UEFA gets 12-13 spots at the 32-team WWC, do the 8 EURO quarterfinalists get in automatically and the remaining 4-5 spots go to a reduced qualifying campaign?