EURO 2021 Squad

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Ofori, May 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Beneficial circumstance is Kuipers is in his last match and has nothing to lose any more.

There will also be pressure to not again give England some overly lucky calls. If say a soft penalty in a free flowing game decides it for England, it puts the career of his pal Makkelie in jeopardy. Southern countries (Spain and Italy are already rumbling hard) will look at him with distrust and can cost him major games.

So chance is England will not receive major gifts in the final. Or maybe it's just their turn for gracious gifts. Three times a free flowing Dutch referee in KO games for England is already something others normally don't want, I guess.

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I wonder about this as well. If Kuipers retires from UEFA competitions, Makkelie looms as the next best Dutch CR. I was disappointed by his performance yesterday and wonder if he will get any CL games this coming year.

3. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    That would be a bit harsh I think (but there's pressure on Kuipers to not have another controversial call). Maybe it's my fault but thought (other than the penalty) the performance had largely the same benefits and flaws as Brych a day earlier. Many things were let go (Busquets really did a Phillips-Kroos near the end of the first half) and around the hour mark both needed a brief 'calm down' talk in their game.

The Harry Kane penalty call was, on second thoughts, consistent with the line applied and Kane fouled/contacted first. Bas Nijhuis said as well that he let many things go and flow. Might have been an instruction and it didn't disadvantage England I'd say.

Makkelie was also without the first choice Blom as VAR per the newspapers, because Blom missed an alleged Turkey handball against Italy. The Italian referee boss demoted him.

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Blom was the first choice VAR? That really surprises me as I don't rate him very highly. van Boekal was the VAR for all of the other Dutch refereed matches in this tournament.

5. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    That was after the demotion indeed. Van Boekel is now demoted himself for the final.

Blom was by the KNVB and Makkelie meant as the first choice VAR for 'Team Makkelie'. Which he did in the opening game.

As far as I know Blom his biggest issue is his presence on the pitch, but that's less of an issue as VAR. Since 2010 the internal KNVB reviews have become fairer, professional and more honest the experts believe.

Personally I have always a good impression (or no impression and memory at all, that's a good sign) of Gozubuyuk.

edit: Blom was before the tournament postponement the first in line as well
    https://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetba...-popster-loopt-het-de-spuigaten-uit~a9edf761/

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There is a big discussion over on the Referee Thread which is interesting reading. Blom had the first match as VAR and apparently there was some sort of hand ball issue which is why he was demoted. Personally, I think this is all nonsense. I watch a lot of Eredivisie matches on ESPN+. Most Dutch referees are quite good though Bas Nijhuis sometimes drives me nuts. Blom was to be Makkelie's VAR and van Boekal, Kuipers. If UEFA could overlook the horrible Brych match, they should cut the Dutch refs some slack.

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  7. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It confirms the newspaper story.

Blom didn't see a handball against Turkey that would give Italy a penalty in the 45th minute. Most agree this was the correct decision. The Italy referee boss demoted him. And now also Van Boekel is demoted.

On the referee forum - where I don't return - I also asked why some countries have all four of the same country (Brych, Taylor) while Makkelie and Kuipers never had that privilege. The somewhat pro-English/pro-EPL board (who accept Italy and Argentina raising vetoes but not England somehow...) there don't like that question and received snappy replies.

It is relevant though because it creates a different feedback mechanic rather than one VAR room with two second-rate Dutchies (because of the demotion), a Pole and a German.

I know for a fact domestically all four VAR guys are meant to work as a unit and feedback each other. They are also not afraid to correct the so called big name referees, which you sometimes see in other countries. All field referees work as VAR as well, including Kuipers.

The Sterling penalty call was totally understandable from Makkelie his position (the correct position), the speed of play, the tired legs around, Sterling cutting inside and receiving contact.

Orange14 repped this.
  8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Perhaps didn't hurt this indirectly advantaged Italy their chances for progress (Belgium's next opponent). Rather than the opposite.

9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The Public Prosecution Service wants to charge Quincy Promes for his role in the stabbing incident.

There is no definitive charge yet since lawyers of the defendant have the right to formulate and indicate research objects (to prevent tunnel vision by the prosecutor). But Promes will be put on trial and prosecuted.

De Boer has still some questions to answer here. Why he called him up and then also used him for a second time, after a horrible appearance in the Macedonia game.

10. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Terrible situation.
    De Boer really incredible with the amount of stupid decisions he made.
    Promes with some terrible allegations levied against him should never have been called into the squad until the matter is dealt with, and then on top of that is that his form as a professional player is not good.
    Unreal Frank and the fools of the KNVB.

11. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Next to the laser beam problem, there is now also evidence many Danish female fans were harassed by English supporters, and kids spat upon because they had a Danish flag painted on their face.

It remains baffling Boris Johnson cites "public health" for the traveling bans and the like, but then allows 60000 people into the stadium. While churches and other gatherings still face restrictions.

Wouldn't surprise me if this causes a few deaths, in the same way as the Liverpool vs Atletico game of march 2020 caused 41 deaths

Let's hope justice prevails and Italy wins (and the cesspit Argentina shouldn't win as well).

12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Isn't looking good so far. Rainy weather favors England.

Their fans are terrible. Already many images and videos of rioting fans and assaulting Italian restaurants

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    FORZA ITALIA!!

PuckVanHeel and BaritoPutra repped this.
  14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Also, Kuipers had a very fine match with the whistle. It may have been his last international match. If so, he went out with high marks.

richsavare repped this.
  15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Imho Italy had a couple red worthy offenses, but had the idea the decision was placed at the German VAR. The dangerous collar pull by Chiellini, the stamp on Grealish (playing the ball is not the be all).

16. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    The better team won, plain and simple. Italy midfield, as I have commented and admired before, is just outrageously too good. They passed the ball tidily with the one-two, and chased the English players like a mad dog when not in possession. Jorginho and Verrati were particularly excellent. The veteran CB duo was also huge!

That said, England (Southgate) had only themselves to blame in the PK shootout. Three missing shots (all came from subs) were never acceptable at this level.

And Donnarumma is a legend in the making - might even be greater than the majestic Buffon (which says A LOT!!). I read somewhere that he hasn’t conceded more than one goal for Italy in, like… forever. That’s just insane.

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Jorginho stepped on the ball that cause his foot to slip and hit Grealish's thigh. YC was appropriate.

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This influential blog agrees
    http://law5-theref.blogspot.com/2021/07/uefa-euro-2020-match-51-italy-england.html?m=1

"Kuipers has been superb tonight, one of the best performances of the whole tournament. The control and management techniques of Brych’s semifinal but with much better (more consistent and correct) disciplinary control. I hope I don’t jinx the last 15 minutes, but it’s been a great performance so far."

In accomplishments (and I'm parroting the newspaper here) he is the best referee since Leo Horn.

It must be said though it helps a lot when Dutch, Belgian and German teams don't go far (somehow, German refs officiating Dutch teams is less of an issue despite the poor results record). Mario van de Ende and the likes didn't have that circumstance working in their favor.

Personally I like Gozubuyuk more than Makkelie, or to say it better: having no impression at all is a good sign. I'm not a pro but have seen actual experts voicing the same opinion.

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I said the same thing over on the Referee's forum. I think Gozubuyuk is much more consistent.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Imho trying to step on the ball with that uncontrolled force is questionable. It's not a normal defensive move. That it can slip below your studs is part of the gamble.

I think it gets called that way in the Eredivisie. In the same way as a sliding tackle should be technically sound.

But it's not what UEFA wanted to see, I agree.

21. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    I feel that with 5 subs, some teams will commit to foul more in the middle of the field before the attacking player can break through, willing to earn a yellow card (not like the red card when you are the last man). Team needs to prepare well (set pieces, PK,...not just the tactic) as Italy and Argentine have done well lately. It is good that the main goalkeeper can save PK so you don't waste a sub for that.

PuckVanHeel repped this.