EURO 2021 Predictions

Discussion in 'Euro 2020 (2021)' started by Ofori, May 6, 2021.

1. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    It seems in Group A analysis no one has any faith in Wales. Never mind the fact that in 2016, they made it all the way to the semi-final of EURO 2016 and lost to Portugal. Given who was in their group 5 years ago in 2016 they had Russia, England and Slovakia in their group and they managed to skate by in that group and get to the Round of 16 where they beat Northern Ireland in the Round of 16. Quarter finals after that beat Belgium. But in the semis lost to Portugal.

In 2021, they more or less have a similar group with Italy, Turkey and Switzerland. At best Wales, if they manage to skate by again, they most likely will either as a runner up or even as a 3rd place team minimum.

2. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I find the analysis on Wales on that podcast too negative. They have basically written off Wales. But I do agree that their group now is tougher than the group they had in 2016.
    Italy 2021 is better than England 2016
    Switzerland 2021 is better than Russia 2016
    Turkey 2021 is probably better than Slovakia 2016.
    I'm still undecided what to predict for this Group A. It's anyone's guess. Isn't it ?

Ofori repped this.
  3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    They're the weakest team in the group. They will need bale and ramsey to turn up to qualify. They have alot of young players but most of them play in the lower leagues in England. I would fancy turkey and Italy to qualify

4. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I can agree with your assessment here but I say for this group it will be Italy and Switzerland as 1st and 2nd respectively. 3rd place it is going to come down to Wales and Turkey.

SF19 repped this.
  5. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    And I think those players Bale and Ramsey both will show up for Wales

Kamtedrejt and roverman repped this.
  6. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Group A ist just so difficult to call. Whomever I put bottom I feel I'm doing injustice to them. There is a case for every team to be made in that group.

7. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I agree about the England squads current 'lack' of talent between the sticks, but the last great English keeper was David Seaman, in fact between Banks and Seaman England was blessed with good goalkeepers. Since Seaman retired though England has 'struggled' a bit in that particular position.

8. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks, finishing up Group B now and have the other groups done, so will post later today. Appreciate the read and any feedback/comments, etc.

BorisG repped this.
  9. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  10. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    perhaps overall poor finishing... but opponents will have to be wary of a Ruslan Malinovskyi strike which could come from almost about anywhere on the pitch with the cannon of a left foot he packs

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  11. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    BorisG repped this.
  12. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #138 BorisG, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    Great Articles well done man ---- but as I am biased towards to Germany I have done quite a bit of research,.

Low seems to want to play with 3CB , although this has proven to be not a setup that suits the current German team. The biggest issue is we don't really have great wingbacks to play a 5-3-2 or 3-4-3 like we did against Denmark . In the previous games including the game against N Macedonia on paper it looked like 4-3-3 , but Jogi made the one WB that he fielded push up and let the other 3CB line up as a 3 Backline. The issue come in then there is a crowding of players on the one wing and a huge gap on the other side.
    Our Midfield is not as solid as it could be and often the fluidity between defense midfield and attack does not exist . We basically don't have a midfield anymore. IF Jogi would just solidify his midfield, instead of fielding sub par players in defense- they could take control in midfield already.

Jogi also pushes his defenders up high , and as he rather focuses on Germany weak parts and trying to fix them, instead of focusing on Germany qualities which are clearly in midfield and attack, Germany is very suspect to counters. Jogi fields an extra defender to try and stabilize his defense, but they offer nothing going forward , and when Germany gets hit by a counter they are also slow and hence always concede a goal or two or more.
    I think most of Germanys wants him to play a 4-2-3-1 with Bayern and Chelsea block , but he is stubborn and keeps on play his 5 backline. We just don't have the quality there and if he does not change something drastically, Germany will struggle to make it out of Group F.

Jogi is also set to play Kroos - he is good- but looking at the overall system there are better options. Especially when we play France and Portugal where we need some defensive strengths - Like Neuhaus, Gundogan or even CAN

The biggest concern as said are our wingbacks, with Klosterman and Gosens, Gosens has not performed as well in the NT as at Atlanta, and Klosterman is not really a Wingback - so why keep on playing that system. The one option would be to move Kimmich to RWB , but he is actually needed in the DM role. So If Jogi Keeps on playing with a 5 Backline (this means one player less in Midfield - where Germany has such great players) they will continuously be run over and against a team like France they will be punished.

This is what most people in Germany would like to see :
    [​IMG]

but if we cant get that - then at least use the better players withy a 5 Backline
    [​IMG]

But sadly this is what Jogi has planned and I dont think we will go far with this lineup. As said e.g The backline often pushes up so high that a Gintner and Klostermann are so high up the pitch on the right wins the crowed each other and don't really offer much quality in attack. And when they get countered and Mbappe will punish them , they are just out of place. You will see one more line up below just to show you how it looks when Germany have possession.
    [​IMG]

This was what Germany looked like against Denmark - Klosterman and Gintner on the right , Germany has better players there. This is every time when they went forward - but they dot have the creativity up front...

[​IMG]

13. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Wales vs Turkey will likely end in a draw eliminating both teams. I feel that Turkey are slightly the better team but not by a lot. Turkey will look stronger throughout the match, but Wales will grab a goal off a set piece or something and it will end 1-1. Neither team will have enough points to advance, and both will play into Switzerland's hands. Switzerland sits back and counterattacks and both Wales and Turkey have vulnerability in defense.

Ofori repped this.
  14. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
  15. Xylophone

Xylophone Member

Fiorentina
    Jan 30, 2018
    I think that's a realistic outcome. I wonder if there is a consensus as to which groups' third-placed teams will miss out? I guess it'll come down to groups where the bottom two are around the same level. The third-placed team may either end up drawing with the last-placed team or winning by a very close margin (1-0), which doesn't help with their overall goal difference.

I feel like the third-placed teams from Group B and C will advance thanks to Finland and North Macedonia. Probably Group F as well, although not as certain. I think it'll end up with two of A, D or E not making it through. D in particular feels like a group with lots of low-scoring games, possibly with a lot of draws. I'd rank the likelihood of not advancing from high to low: D, E, A, F, C, B

16. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I was contemplating whether to include him or not.

The only reason I left him out is because I'm not sure if Seaman would have fared much better than James had in 2004 and 2006, even if Seaman was in his prime.

James I felt made some mistakes at Euro 2004 which I could owe down his inexperience at that level, but they were mistakes even Seaman had made. Ronaldinho's goal in 2002 had many of the same hallmarks as Zidane's in 2004. In the penalty shoot-out loss to Argentina, Seaman was a bit slow off the mark, whereas James was too quick off the mark against Portugal in 2004.

Between the two of them, I saw some of the same frailties, but Seaman was affable and possessed a strong character in goal that England has lacked since. He was at his best in Euro 1996 and James never quite did as well with England (and he's the best there was since Seaman), so perhaps Seaman deserves a nod as one of England's best for his accomplishments in 1996. In his other finals I think he himself would have admit he could have done better; however, between Simeone's simulations, Ronaldinho's class, and Keegan's devil may care approach to Euro 2000, England's losses in those finals go well beyond the man between the sticks.

17. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    You guys have Pickford and Henderson

18. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Which is why I said it will come down to Wales and Turkey for that 3rd place spot

19. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Good keepers but unlike Shilton, Clemence or Seaman and some other keepers at the Euro's they are certainly not 'world class'. Goalkeeping is a very important position and I wouldn't be suprised if goalkeeping was the teams downfall in this tournament.

Ofori repped this.
  20. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Seaman was 10x the keeper James was, its not even close, he played 344 league games and was immense in nearly all of them, Seaman was the last English world class goalkeeper.

Kamtedrejt and Ofori repped this.
  21. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    For Sure. As for third place teams, I say that Groups A and E will not make it. As for Group B, Finland is tough but they do play Denmark and Denmark and Russia in Russia, and I expect Denmark vs Russia to be really close and possibly a draw, so they should get through.

Group C is the weakest group, and I think Austria will advance because I see them netting in at least 3 goals against North Macedonia.

Group D, the Czechs are looking somewhat strong on their day, and I think they'll manage to get full points against Scotland and maybe even steal a point from Croatia.

Now for Group E, Poland is slightly better than Slovakia but I feel similar to Group A, they will take points from each other or the game will be so close and won't be enough to advance. I do not expect Slovakia to leave without any points.

For Group F, thats pretty straight forward. France, Germany, and Portugal will all take points from each other I feel. I kind of feel France will beat Germany, Germany will beat Portugal, and Portugal will either beat or draw with France. And of course all 3 will beat Hungary.

Xylophone repped this.
  22. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Just to make this clear. Denmark is the host nation, so Finland, Belgium, and Russia are all going to face the Danish NT in Denmark, while the other games are to be played in Russia. The Danish NT has only lost two games (both against Belgium) in their past 46 games in a row, and now they got the home advantage.

23. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Yeah but I expect a 1-1 draw between Denmark and Russia.

24. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nice job on the preview/analysis of each team! I do need to correct you on Portugal though. Pepe will definitely start over Fonte unless injured or suspended at the CB position.