Euro 2020 - Tickets Thread

Discussion in 'Euro 2020 (2021)' started by noar1985, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petersonnn

Petersonnn Member+

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Exclusive: Government proposals to save the 'crown jewels' of the summer sporting season include sending fans Covid tests with tickets
    Government is 'pushing hard' to get stadiums and venues open in time for Wimbledon and Euros football tournament in June
    By
    Lucy Fisher
    12 February 2021 • 6:59pm
    A public notice board at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships complex in south west London, Britain, 29 June 2020. It would have been the opening day of the Wimbledon Tennis Championships today had it not been for the Covid-19 Pandemic.

Plans to save the summer sporting season by sending fans Covid tests with tickets and conducting on-site temperature checks are being devised by officials, The Telegraph has learned.

The Government is keen to prioritise opening up the “major set-piece events” to the public, including Wimbledon and the seven Wembley-based matches in the Euros football tournament, all of which are in June, it is understood.

One Whitehall source said there was a “huge push to get stadiums and sports open”, adding: “Bread and games - very Boris.”

The options being examined include posting lateral flow device tests to fans at home in advance of big sports events to certify them as Covid negative, using asymptomatic testing sites, and carrying out rapid on-site testing and temperature checks.

Asking sports fans to isolate before events has been deemed commercially unviable, it is understood.

A Government source insisted it was “very early days” and added: “Nobody in Government is making any promises about this. The roadmap is key, everybody needs to wait for that.”

The Prime Minister is set to lay out the Government’s strategy for exiting lockdown on February 22. He has stressed his first priority is to reopen schools, which is expected to happen from March 8. Hospitality and retail are expected to follow in phased steps.

A Downing Street source said on Friday night: “We’ll look at all of the different things that have been closed in the roadmap process to consider if we can open them safely.”

Last summer Wimbledon was cancelled and the Euros were delayed, while a host of other major sports competitions and events were disrupted, after the coronavirus outbreak became a pandemic.

Oliver Dowden, the Culture Secretary, set up the Sports Technology and Innovation Group (Stig) last September to explore high-tech solutions to get fans back into venues.

It has met regularly to discuss a host of measures to help turbo-charge the return of crowds, including on ticketing, travel to and from venues, and making venues Covid-secure.

One source close to the talks said tennis had been highlighted in recent discussions as a priority and was linked to a potential plan to offer preferential treatment to those who have been vaccinated against coronavirus.

Ministers have dismissed the idea of “vaccine passports” being used domestically, however, insisting they are discriminatory.

The Government has vowed to offer all Britons over 50 and all adults with underlying health conditions a first dose of Covid vaccine by Spring. Scientists predict the mortality rate of the virus will fall by 99 per cent once these groups have been vaccinated.

David Armstrong, chief executive of the Racecourse Association (RCA), said he expected sport to be given more time to prepare for the return of crowds when the lockdown is eased this time, compared with the lifting of measures in December.

The executive, who has been in regular contact with Government during winter rescue package deliberations, added: "I think that any changes that are made will have a decent lead-in this time around. I don't think there's going to be the sort of announcement where restrictions will be lifted the next day."

Mr Armstrong, who is a former chief executive at Wasps rugby club, said racing was also “looking at a number of passport solutions” to help crowds return safely.

“A digital passport will capture both testing and vaccine information, but it will be some time before the integration to vaccine information will be available,” he said. “That's going to take a little while.”

On Saturday Mr Dowden will appear at Lord’s Cricket Ground in London to meet doctors, nurses and volunteers supporting the vaccine rollout, while Health Secretary Matt Hancock will visit the Stoke Mandeville stadium, known as the birthplace of the Paralympic movement, which is being used as a vaccine centre.

2. steven191919

steven191919 Member

Arsenal
    Croatia
    Dec 11, 2017
    Awesome, cheers!

3. Real Mardin

Real Mardin Member

Galatasaray & Nottingham Forest
    Turkey
    Aug 22, 2019

I honestly don't want to sound like the "Euros Grinch" but I'm not sure how comfortably the optimism of this article sits alongside the reality of new arrivals to the UK being made to quarantine for 10 days at a cost of £1750 (payable by the individual) and the UK government only this week warning people not to book a summer holiday either abroad or in the UK.

It could be that the measures suggested in the article are viable if attendance is restricted only to UK nationals?

Obviously everyone needs to carry out their own individual risk assessment but personally if not vaccinated the measures proposed wouldn't be much of a re-assurance to me as the lateral flow tests aren't accurate enough to really be confident the person next to you doesn't actually have Covid-19, but I respect this is an individual choice.

Temperature checks on the gate can cause the opposite problem in that they could exclude people who have a temperature for a reasonably benign non Covid-19 reason. I would not want to be the person who flies in from America having paid for Category 1 tickets, made to quarantine for 10 days at a cost of £1750 only to be refused admission at the gate because they had a high temperature due to some temporary state like dehydration or what have you.

4. Real Mardin

Real Mardin Member

Turkey
    Aug 22, 2019
    #5729 Real Mardin, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Just to correct my own post above (as the forum won't let me edit it due to the time limit expiring) the £1750 quarantine fee only applies to people landing from 33 "red list countries" (of which the USA is not included, thankfully for many on here :) ) but there still is a blanket requirement to self-isolate for ten days upon arrival in the UK. Taken from gov.uk:

"
    From 15 February onwards, everyone allowed to enter England from outside the Common Travel Area must:

• quarantine for 10 days
      • take a coronavirus (COVID-19) test on day 2 and day 8 of quarantining

When you arrive in England, you must travel directly to the place you’re staying and not leave until 10 days have passed.

The quarantine period starts the day you arrive in England and ends 10 days after the day you arrived. This period is necessary because it can take up to 10 days for coronavirus symptoms to appear.

If you’re travelling to England for less than 10 days, you will need to quarantine for the whole of your stay. You must travel directly to your place of quarantine when you arrive in England and directly from your place of quarantine to the port or airport when you leave. You should follow safer travel guidance and avoid public transport if possible. If you break the quarantine rules you may face a penalty of up to £10,000."

Of course, in practical terms being made to pay London hotel prices for 10 days and paying a state imposed £1750 quarantine fee may actually amount to the same thing :(

5. Petersonnn

Petersonnn Member+

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It will he a vastly different situation in May/June, I promise.

6. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    BocaFan repped this.
  7. Real Mardin

Real Mardin Member

Turkey
    Aug 22, 2019
  8. noar1985

noar1985 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    OGC Nice
    I found this on Linkedin
    jobs ads for Bilbao fromm euro2020

and it links to this

https://www.rfef.es/ofertas-empleo

It seems they keep this ugly format around europe, or they look for someone to cancelled ticket for Bilbao haha

9. mkdaman1818

mkdaman1818 Member

Manchester United
    Canada
    Feb 16, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I just got my first dose of the covid vaccine in NYC today, with the next dose scheduled for March 15. I’m very optimistic that the rollout will be in full throttle in the next three months, heading into the euros

10. Petersonnn

Petersonnn Member+

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    How old are you?

11. Germanyfan1993

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jun 17, 2018
    i got my second dose of the vaccine today, not sure if i should go to this yet and take off my 5 weeks in the summer... i wanna see germany live.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    You don't have to be ancient to qualify for the vaccine in New York. Half of the population currently qualify.

The issue like everywhere is the supply / finding an open appointment. I'm seeing some muppets out there that choose not to be vaccinated though, which I guess will translate to less wait time for me.

Petersonnn and mkdaman1818 repped this.
  13. mkdaman1818

mkdaman1818 Member

Manchester United
    Canada
    Feb 16, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    30s, but I have a pre-existing condition. As Boca said, the issue is more getting an appointment. I got lucky and was able to score one on Monday.

14. Petersonnn

Petersonnn Member+

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nice.

We get not so much about this in the mainstream media, but..:
    [​IMG]

thehawk and BocaFan repped this.
  15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, the mainstream media is now hung-up on the threat of these new variants even though the situation isn't all that bad in the countries that the variants are named after. o_O

Never once has the MSM mentioned that the cases and deaths are in steep decline. I'm actually curious to know what the reasons are for the decline, but hard to find answers because most news organizations can't even admit that there is a decline.

Petersonnn repped this.
  16. thehawk

thehawk Member

Mar 30, 2006
    San Diego, California
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hey Petersonnn, that's a great summary of the COVID data. Could you post your source?

17. Petersonnn

Petersonnn Member+

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #5742 Petersonnn, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Yes, for example Switzerland seen their percentage of B117 rising weekly:
    "We estimate that the proportion of 501Y among all infections has reached 79% (74%-83%) in Geneva, 45% (32%-59%) in Bern, and 51% (43%-58%) in Zurich."
    Meanwhile: [​IMG]

Denmark with the same: "In Denmark B.1.1.7 is now at 48% in week 6 (Initial data, 288/606 genomes). Development for the past weeks: 2, 4, 7, 13, 20, 31, 48%."

Meanwhile: [​IMG]

The source of the US Data: https://twitter.com/TheLawyerCraig

The reason for the decline is seasonality (for all: seasonaility does not equal weather in a strict sense) combined with some communal immunity:

(if you click on the link, you will see seasonality patterns)

18. Petersonnn

Petersonnn Member+

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    After another fall, worldwide new cases are down 50.7% from the peak last month (11 January). Perhaps I am being naive, but I would have thought that a halving of global new COVID-19 cases would be a big news story. I’ve seen very little coverage of this however.

[​IMG]

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But how can it be seasonality when last year at this same time of the year cases were increasing exponentially across Western Europe and (2 weeks from now) in the U.S.? - the same places where they are in steep decline in 2021. :confused:

20. Petersonnn

Petersonnn Member+

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It is easy: Because this is when it first appeared. It was not present last winter so we could not tell how big would have been last winter. When the virus like this first appears it sweeps through no matter of season because people are all vulnerable to it (epidemic state) but when it becomes endemic (a big junk of people have been infected), the seasonal aspects more and more emphasized. Here are the normal seasonality charts for every coronovirus type:

[​IMG]

And here are the last 10 seasons of flu:

[​IMG]

And to be honest, I do not really remember that in March-April we locked down people and restrict them every year to "stop the spread" for the summer....

BocaFan repped this.
  21. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Real Mardin repped this.
  22. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
  23. Real Mardin

Real Mardin Member

Turkey
    Aug 22, 2019
    I expect Matt Hancock to take that stance as his department is health and his objective at the moment is basically to keep the virus under control, inviting fans from 24 nations (plus American friends from the forum :) ) here for a month to potentially spread new mutations of the virus flies in the face of that. :(

The chap quoted as saying that fans could return to stadiums in May is the culture secretary, who's job it is to get sports back up and running - so we basically have two different departments of government with competing interests.

Ultimately, neither of the above will have the final say, that responsibility basically lies with the chap in 10 Downing Street. Tomorrow's roadmap announcement should be interesting.

welshbairn repped this.
  24. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Yup, I'm pessimistic it will go ahead now with the slow run out of the vaccine in the EU, at least for spectators. I was as much looking forward to the travel as the football, trips to Newcastle and Manchester wouldn't appeal much.

LaParka710 and Real Mardin repped this.
  25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, time is just flying by. Keep thinking we have lots of time / June is miles away. But suddenly just over 3 months remain.

Not looking good for 50% full stadiums across 12 countries that's for sure.