Euro 2020 - Tickets Thread

Discussion in 'Euro 2020 (2021)' started by noar1985, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It makes sense for CL because, well, you have to play the match somewhere. So Barca v Fenencvaros in Barcelona makes the most logical sense.

But for the Euros, what is the point of a country hosting any games if they can't have any fans?

LaParka710 and mkdaman1818 repped this.
  2. mkdaman1818

mkdaman1818 Member

Manchester United
    Canada
    Feb 16, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Never gonna happen, although postponing Qatar to 2023 would make sense, if the pandemic delayed construction/preparation at all

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    If club football is continuing without fans I don't see why the Euros wouldn't. The Euros is more of a made-for-TV event than club football is. Especially since by then all the players will likely have been vaccinated.

Its definitely happening this June-July.

LaParka710 repped this.
  4. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    Agreed. Maybe they push it back two or three weeks if that allows more fans to come in, but I'm almost positive it happens this summer one way or another. Especially because if they don't do them this summer, they're cancelling them in the same way the Olympics would be cancelled if they do not run.

I really think that if no domestic leagues had to stop last March, they might have just done them (probably modified a bit for venues) last summer even in the pandemic. Probably with no fans, but they would have gotten that sweet TV money that UEFA craves.

5. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    Real Mardin and BocaFan repped this.
  6. Dragonhorse

Dragonhorse Member

Manchester United
    England
    Mar 3, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It would be better if the euro was postponed until next June, so that all the fans could attend and the stadium will be full. This year all countries start vaccines, it is estimated that until the end of the year it can be finished, so next year it will start to normalize, and the Qatar world cup will also be postponed until 2023

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, not gonna happen. We are forgetting the Euros are just a regional tournament. This would upset the global footballing calendar for years, including qualifying for Euro 2024.

It wasn't that long ago (2008) that the entire Euros were held in stadiums that had a seating capacity of around 30k. So, it's not that big of a deal if we have to put a limit of 30k for some matches in Euro 2021 And I think that's a worse-case scenario (still possible we can have full stadiums).

8. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    I think at this point, UEFA is on their knees praying that the major domestic leagues do not have any problems and the tournament schedule can go off as planned. While UEFA (and everyone else) will want fans there, that TV money means more to them than a full crowd and the gate receipts, I imagine.

9. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't expect any major announcement for at least another couple of months.. so volatile is the situation. I'm keeping my final ticket but not booking anything yet. I live in Qatar and the world club championship is only 2 and half weeks away and we still don't know whether or not fans will be able to attend games. It's a smaller tournament of course so maybe it'll just be for local fans for some games, but don't think we'll know anytime soon for Euro 2020.5

LaParka710 repped this.
  10. Amber and Blue

Amber and Blue New Member

Slough Town
    England
    Feb 14, 2020
    Has anyone else noticed that on the official Euro 2020 website, in the ticket FAQ section under the heading " Postponement updates", it says " More information regarding future ticket return possibilities will be available in January 2021." This has been up for a while now. I'm thinking of returning more of my tickets if I get another chance ,as very sadly Euro 2020 will not for me be as enjoyable as I'd originally expected it to be before all this virus stuff erupted.

LaParka710 and Real Mardin repped this.
  11. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Same here. When given the opportunity for refunds last year, I only asked to be refunded for one match, but kept tickets to two other matches.

At this point life has caught up and I have more important things on my calendar, so I'll have to submit for a refund in full if given the chance.

It's a shame too because I have tickets to see Portugal in Budapest (where I've never been) and for a knockout match in Glasgow just a train ride away.

Real Mardin repped this.
  12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, in the case of the Euros I think a major announcement would have to come before the end of March. So much organizing to do if there is a change in host countries.

LaParka710 repped this.
  13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    A lot can change in 5 months though. I am still fairly confident that I'll be vaccinated by June.
    And while that Petersson dude seems to have part of his brain taken hostage by conspiracy theories, he does have a point when he says that the lockdowns are mainly to protect older people or those with pre-existing conditions. Once those people are all vaccinated then I think society can be opened fully (while continuing with face coverings of course).

LaParka710 repped this.
  14. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I'm in the same position - I got one match refunded last year and kept tickets for a knockout game in Glasgow. But now I have a daughter giving birth shortly before the tournament starts so a trip from the US to the UK is no longer the priority. Such is life.

portugamerifinn repped this.
  15. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    That's a good catch on that item on their FAQ, but I wonder if they will punt a bit until they make that call in March about the venues and the capacity.

I'm cautiously optimistic that I will be allowed to go, but I hope they allow more refunds as the tournament gets closer instead of just ticket exchange in case people get stuck.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    #5516 BocaFan, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Email was just sent-out by UEFA this morning. Everyone got it?

Basically they updated the ticketing terms and condition And, "you now have the opportunity to return your ticket(s) if you do not agree to be bound by these updated documents."

"Ticket returns

If you disagree with any of the changes, you can return your tickets for a full refund of the ticket price from now until 26 January 2021 14:00 CET, by logging into your account at euro2020.com/tickets."

https://support.tickets-euro2020.uefa.com/hc/en-us

Also,

"
    Stadium capacity restrictions and refunds

In the event UEFA has to cancel your ticket order(s) as a result of a stadium capacity reduction or as a result of the match having to be played ‘behind closed doors’, the refund policy now specifies that you will be entitled to receive a full refund of your ticket price.

The refund policy also now specifically refers to a ‘pandemic’ in the definition of force majeure.
    "

17. KWE61

KWE61 New Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Just got it too.. my main take-away is that the games are going to happen (good!) with or without fans and the new wording outlines that if a stadium is at reduced capacity you may lose your ticket but get your money back... I can live with that in current world but please give us good warning about it...

LaParka710 and BocaFan repped this.
  18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    After you log-in you will get this message:

"You can return your tickets until 26 January 2021, 14:00 CET. After this date, your refund will be processed.

It may take up to 30 days after 26 January 2021, 14:00 CET for you to receive your money back.
    "

19. generals soccer

Feb 7, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the most interesting aspect to me:
    Ticket transfer for medical reasons

Should you or your guests no longer be able to attend UEFA EURO 2020™ for medical reasons, including COVID-19, you will have the option to transfer the ticket(s) to friends or family members.

Sounds like you will be able to easily transfer a ticket. March 5 will be the next big date when UEFA makes a final decision about stadiums and capacity.

Ric_Braz repped this.
  20. Petersonnn

Petersonnn Member+

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    UEFA is again, very nice with their process. I think we can take back all of our previous problems with them, they made this process very smooth. I think in some way they hope that this time, many of us will return their tickets so they can reduce their capacity with no tickets being taken away by lottery. I really hope thay they manage to wait with their decision until early April and not decide on 5ht March. I believe vaccine capacity will really turn up in March-April so at that time I dont see any problems to let at least 50% in. WIth the seasonality of this virus plus vaccinating the elderly by then (remember, we only need to vaccinate 30% of the population to avoig 96% of deaths/serios disease), if they decide against fans in March they will bang their heads to the wall in June and especially July...

21. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no complaints at all with how UEFA is handling this. I hope I will have the vaccine before June but the prospect of changing venues and maybe losing out on the ability to go to the cities I want to go to is making it so that I think I'm going to put in for a refund. I'm so disappointed, but, hey, the virus has caused so many people so much more strife and difficulty than not getting to see a footie tournament that I need to focus on the things I'm grateful for. I hope that all of you who attend have fun, are safe, and don't experience too much disruption. I am already looking forward to the 2024 thread.

LaParka710, M, themanlarry and 1 other person repped this.
  22. EuroSpades

EuroSpades Member

Manchester United
    England
    Feb 21, 2020
    I'm requesting a refund for the pair of tickets in Budapest as I have no intention of travelling as it may prove difficult logistically.

Not sure about my Wembley tickets, I'll possibly keep one pair of tickets but it feels like keeping them is just delaying the inevitable refund.

23. steven191919

steven191919 Member

Arsenal
    Croatia
    Dec 11, 2017
    this is my big question: if they announce in march, that capacity will be 30/50/75, and we still get tickets, do we have the option of getting a refund after that decision is made? the euros are a great spectacle and im honestly not sure id go if the capacity wasnt near full, let alone 30%.

24. generals soccer

Feb 7, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would have to think they would give folks another opportunity to return them if they do reduce capacity. Would be less of a headache than forcing folks who want to go to give them back in a lottery.

LaParka710 repped this.
  25. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I read the terms the new refund policy states that if the match is moved, postponed, cancelled or played behind closed doors, you are entitled to a refund but you are agreeing that in any such case UEFA's liability is limited to the face value of the ticket. UEFA has broad discretion to cancel tickets for these reasons if necessary and again your rights and remedies are limited to the face value of the ticket.

If the capacity is limited, you are likewise entitled to a refund if UEFA cancels your ticket. I see nothing in the new terms that says you can get a refund if the capacity is limited and UEFA agrees to honor your ticket, though they've been pretty good about things and I think as said above probably would offer a refund, but it's certainly not guaranteed by the new terms.