Euro 2020 - Tickets Thread

Discussion in 'Euro 2020 (2021)' started by noar1985, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Well, apparently the various UEFA cities bid on certain "host packages" or whatever. Baku was one that bid to host a QF, in addition to group games. The minimum criteria for a QF was a 60k seat stadium. Brussels didn't get their act together and had to withdraw. Pretty interesting bidding process to say the least.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_bids#Procedure

Real Mardin repped this.
  2. Petersonnn

Petersonnn Member+

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    this is crazy, I have no idea why people voted so hard for them for the QFs.

3. Real Mardin

Real Mardin Member

Galatasaray & Nottingham Forest
    Turkey
    Aug 22, 2019
    And equally, why on Earth did Cardiff get so few votes when it's clearly quite capable of hosting a Euros group and a quarter final and doesn't present the logistical nightmare of "two flights" Baku? :confused:

4. Real Mardin

Real Mardin Member

Galatasaray & Nottingham Forest
    Turkey
    Aug 22, 2019
    #2704 Real Mardin, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    In defence of Baku, when you consider that there is a reasonable chance one of Russia, Turkey or Ukraine could be in the Baku QF, it doesn't seem that crazy a decision in retrospect. These are the three closest competing countries to Azerbaijan, unless Georgia qualify through the playoffs.

In fact, if results go a certain way the tie could be Ukraine vs Russia or Turkey, the former tie would be particularly interesting for all sorts of reasons and either tie would surely be well attended.

5. tedmak

tedmak Member

Manchester City
    Argentina
    Nov 11, 2017
    I take it no one has had an email yet for the non-payer tickets?

6. Petersonnn

Petersonnn Member+

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I am pretty sure it (should) comes tomorrow

7. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know if it is something to do with Airport capability but it seems bonkers that Cardiff did not get above Glasgow in selection.

popularside repped this.
  8. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    Seriously if you are moaning for "two flights" , you really are spoiled kids.
    As a westerner now expat in a rather isolated country with almost no low-cost flights , it just seems to me that most westerners who haven't lived and worked in poorer countries with less low-cost flights are just babies , incapable of planning things if things are not cheap.

Taking two flights is not the end of the world , especially when you spend the same money in beers.

wombacik repped this.
  9. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I suspect airport capacity and lack of hotel rooms were the problem. Fantastic stadium in a brilliant location.

Glasgow and the surrounding areas incl Edinburgh has good transport links, plenty of hotels. Unfortunately a poor stadium for football.

However Baku or the general region deserves to be included. I think giving the whole tournament to Turkey would have been a better option. I still hope they do get to host a euros.

10. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Don't think people would be dismissing going to Baku if the other games were being held in say Yerevan, Tbilisi and Batumi. I have easy train journeys between my chosen venues, Baku would an expensive and time consuming pain in the arse.

11. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    I can agree that Baku is not the easiest choice , but i think the whole formula is just plain stupid.
    I am nostalgic of the days where competitions were held in only one country. I would even say that sometimes competitions could be held in small countries with 25/30k stadiums , but unfortunately money took over everything.

I already didnt like when it started with Belgium/Netherlands 2000 , Korea/Japan 2002 , Ukraine/Poland 2012 etc at least it had a bit of logic with two neighbor countries. But this formula is just complete crap , making it look like Europe is one abstract entity just like the USA , i really don't like it

tedmak and welshbairn repped this.
  12. tedmak

tedmak Member

Manchester City
    Argentina
    Nov 11, 2017
    Anyone got an email?
    Someone on here speculated that 'Thursday is today'

13. generals soccer

Feb 7, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on times discussed previously, it seemed like mid-afternoon CET when they went out.

14. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Just when I've got to be in a fkn meeting. No guarantee it will be today though.

15. Petersonnn

Petersonnn Member+

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes, altough it seems very likely that today or worst case tomorrow.

16. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Though one can guarantee that Thursday is indeed today.

17. Harbs123

Harbs123 Member

England
    Jun 24, 2018
    London
    Some of the impatience, paranoia and in turn statements on here currently are staggering.

18. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

or majority paid for their tickets this time around and there will be minimal or no release, don't hold your breath guys.

wombacik and belfasteric repped this.
  19. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Not surprising though.
    "Don’t take your eyes off your inbox! Tickets will be sold on a first come, first served basis."

Daniella Scerbo, Petersonnn and teutisha repped this.
  20. Petersonnn

Petersonnn Member+

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No, we are lunatic that we are trying to speculate how to finally get tickets after this superb process UEFA came up with... :cautious:

Ric_Braz repped this.
  21. tedmak

tedmak Member

Manchester City
    Argentina
    Nov 11, 2017
    Impatience? Are you serious? We were told that Phase 1 would end at the end of January?
    Are you still waiting by the tree for Father Xmas 2019 to turn up?

22. Harbs123

Harbs123 Member

England
    Jun 24, 2018
    London
    We were told we would find out by the end of January if our application was successful or not from the ballot. Which we did, did we not?

Maybe learn to read before reacting.

23. tedmak

tedmak Member

Manchester City
    Argentina
    Nov 11, 2017
    Maybe learn to read before reacting.[/QUOTE]

We were also told 'good news' and wait on the emails - in January.

I CAN read.

24. GotSoccer?!

GotSoccer?! Member

Liverpool FC
    Mar 26, 2018
    Take it easy people....there will be plenty of BAKU-Tickets for every single one of you! :D;):D;)

Aqib Khan, wombacik, belfasteric and 3 others repped this.
  25. Harbs123

Harbs123 Member

England
    Jun 24, 2018
    London
    At no point did it say wait on the emails for FCFS and that these would also be received by January like you stated? Please show me if I'm mistaken, but the email we received was simply in January - that's entirely different.

Further more;

"The GOOD NEWS is… Fans First
    There will be some fans that don’t pay for their tickets. As part of the Fans First programme, these tickets MAY be offered to fans that were unsuccessful in the ballot."

People see what they want to see. They've purposely left it very vague to suit their timings when they see fit and none of us here may even be fortunate to get an email from that simple word they've included there in that statement.