EURO 2020 - Team Sheet and Tactics

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. This would be great as it means we can get our complete selection fit and on the pitch.

2. Roofvogel

Roofvogel Member

-
    Netherlands
    Jun 17, 2014
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I feel this tournament is too early for us. Postponing the tournament to 2021 could work in our favour!

It means one more year of experience and settling for F.de Jong and De Ligt. The same goes for many talents that will likely become regular internationals, i.e. Malen, Ihattaren, Stengs. And many attackers are injured now!! (Depay, Bergwijn, Malen).

3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Can we also replace Cillessen?

I am afraid Koeman sticks too much to his group. Thus Daley remains left back rather than someone else.

DutchFanatic repped this.
  4. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah I think Blind definitely adds a lot as a squad member but I’d prefer another LB as well. Wijndal, van Aanholt or Ake.

I get the idea of keeping Blind since we really lack playmakers in this team atm... but should that responsibility really fall on a LB? With players like Stengs, Ihattaren, etc. we do have playmaking options (not to say thry are fully ready yet) but surely those qualities should come from our attacking players. We already have three of the best playmaking CB’s in Van Dijk, De Ligt and De Vrij. If a playmaker is so desperately needed why not give Ihattaren a try? Considering all of the injuries its not even that ridiculous of a thought. We have no idea how well Ihattaren would perform in a properly functioning team because we have only seen him at a dysfunctional PSV. Maybe with better players around him he could be gold.

And absolutely Krul or Bizot before Cillesen imo. Personally I would choose Krul because penaltys are just too inevitable in the VAR era and penalty shootouts are almost certain.

Or get truly radical and try the 3 CB option that everyone so desperately wants to see and have attacking fullbacks like Van Aanholt and Hateboer on both sides (not to disregard Dumfries who is admittingly performing quite well).

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  5. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    1237701157763665922 is not a valid tweet id

Gosens the next one we let go.

6. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

He says here at the end that he looks beyond Babel playing bad... "A month of bad play doesn't influence me."

7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #108 Brilliant Dutch, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    You still think so, O14??

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-euro-2020-postponed-until-next-summer-11958921

Are you gonna delete this post also, or can we now talk about it??

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  9. Players who benefit from EC2020 delay:
    [​IMG]

10. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Don’t know if this is the right thread for this but I honestly think that the EC being postponed is a good thing sportswise for the Dutch squad. Seeing as it would have probably come a bit too soon for our developing young guns Stengs/Boadu/Ihattaren/Koopmeiners etc as well as for our injured players Depay/Malen/Bergwijn.

Furthermore, we also still need to figure out our fullback and GK situation. Hopefully some young talents will be ready for those positions by next year.

11. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    To me the most awesome thing about this EC postponement is that means Koeman is tied up for at least another year. His clause to go to Barça is for after the EC (no specific date). This Oranje team is still relatively young and naive... it needs stability and consistency, more than anything else. Another year with the same coaching team will go along way!

wilson00 repped this.
  12. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    With the Euro 2020 now being moved to 2021 the question I must ask is how about the overload of matches to be played as World Cup Qualifying matches will be taken place. Going to be nonstop football.

13. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Blind is + AND - and you cant dwell on players like him especially if you want win a major tournament. there has been alot of debate on him,about his intelligence which has been curtaining his weakness and the coaches still continue to oversee this aspect of his game and end up paying the price. he is a lability and in big games he will sink the ship. there is so many games over the years where his weakness has been exposed but still the coaches see his versatility as pros over weakness which pops up in crucial stages.

at ajax he is more of central figure because there is no one to challenge him as he has the experience advantage but at the same time I dont think ajax have felt his absence when ever he has been injured, neither in NT.

14. According to the readers of AD Sportwereld this should be the Orange team in the EC2021:
    [​IMG]

15. I completely disagree.
    First Blind out and Wijndal in.
    Cillessen out, Bizot in.
    Van de Beek out and Stengs/Ihattaren in.
    Promes out and Boadu in.

16. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Just no. Blind has to improve a lot should he still hope to have a shot to be in the first team come next year. We have some talents coming up who are going to definitely push Blind to improve.

Morever Cillessen inspires 0 confidence. We are running really thin as far as world class goalies in that we don’t have any. Definitely a point of concern leading up to next year.

Regarding our midfield, I can’t see a Dutch midfield by next year that doesn’t include Ihattaren. One year can make a whole lot of difference as far as our midfield goes. Lots of talent knocking on the door including Koopmeiners, Stengs (better in midfield imo), and Ihattaren.

Our attack will, hopefully, be lead by a healthy and in-form Depay with, hopefully, Boadu and Bergwijn (after he has some useful PL experience).

I really hope one of our young guns can have a break-out year. We have Zirkzee knocking at Bayerns’ door in the first team, Dilrosun, Kluivert (who I’ve honestly lost hope for), Gakpo, Eiting, Gravenberch...

One break-out season away of being potential senior team selections. This one extra year will do us so much good in terms of injuries and developing young guns.

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  17. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Agree with the points on Wijndal, Bizot and Stengs/Mo... I think they will fit much more better in the team. My concern is that they are lacking international experience. With no competitive matches for Oranje between now and Summer 2021, they will have limited opportunity to improve their confidence. Hopefully they get plenty challenging international matches at the club level next season.

Promes, when on form and healthy, is a very solid option... He and Memphis have developed good understanding (e.g. vs. England in Euro Nations League). That said, another 20-goal season by Boadu next season will surely place him in the starting lineup.

18. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I will go with Groeveneld for starters. A fit Groeneveld will easily fend off competition from Promes and Bergwijn given he is dual footed and overall more skillful than both.It only took him one game to stamp his mark for the NT (vs Belgium) and its unfotune that injuries has plagued him since then. If it becomes a case of club preference given high priority over those playing in lesser kown clubs, bournemouth in Groeneveld case then the coach has to be the biggest dumbass. So once again a fit Groeneveld has to be starter on the left.

Next is Malen. Where does he fit in the equation with Depay and with Boadu also now a serious contender. Change of formation perhaps. 4-4-2

In the midfield, I cant see how you can have both stengs and Ihattarren starting together when stengs utilizes that central midfield area when cutting inside from the right. Its gonna become all clustered similar to when sneijder and vaart used to start toegether. They just couldnt complement each other.

Sames goes with Frenkie and Koopmeiners. Koopmeiners likes to dictate play from the deep and thats also what frenkie does. when you have both intruding each others territory, they simply will repel each other instead of complementing

In the backline, Blind is a liability at LB and agree wijndal will a good upgrade for him. More explosive and offensively better.

19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He wont start for Germany anyways, its a moot point

22. Ahem. You're blaming a person confronted with a Schindler's list mother choice.
    You can't do that.