EURO 2020: Reigning, Defending, Champions Of Europe General Discussion

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Nov 20, 2018.

1. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    lmao the fact that you think Portugal has a better squad than Blegium says everything. Unreal.

2. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #1027 prodigal_mind, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    I should have made it more clear but i meant Portugal is so overrated by people on here. We are underrated when it comes to non Portuguese people.

Although i think we would beat Belgium if we ever face them, I do think Belgium has a better team than us when it comes to individual quality in the starting eleven. We probaly beat them 7/10 times due to our playstyle being able to exploit theirs and us also having much more heart

3. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #1028 prodigal_mind, Jul 28, 2020
    You are overrating Belgium so much. They are carried by KDB and Hazard. As long as they have someone as garbage as Lukaku (proven flat track bully) as their starting striker I do not think they will ever win anything. I do think If you compare our starting elven to belgums that they slightly edge us, but you are making it sound as if they are WAY better

4. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    They pretty objectively have better players. Calling Lukaku garbage is hilarious when he would start in a heartbeat for Portugal.

And to say "the likes of Belgium, England, and Croatia" in a derogatory way like that shows an incredible lack of respect in my opinion. Croatia and England made it a lot further in the world cup than Portugal. Belgium has arguably the strongest individual players in the world right now. I mean, they dont speak the same language, but that's another issue..

artielange84 repped this.
  5. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #1030 prodigal_mind, Jul 28, 2020
    I would never have him starting in Portugal unless it was against teams like San Marno, Luxembourg, Hungary Panama etc. He is overrated and doesnt show up in big matches in a similar way to what Pauleta was.

Below is my reasoning....if you look up the definition of a flat track bully his picture will show up.

Manchester United 17/18
    13 games (7W 1D 5L)
    2 goals = 1 vs Real Madrid (friendly game), 1 vs Chelsea
    3 assists = 1 vs Spurs, 1 vs Pool, 1 vs Chelsea

18/19
    16 games (4W 3D 9L)
    2 goals vs PSG
    2 assists vs Arsenal

Inter Milan
    19/20 (atlanta, Juve, Lazio, Roma,)
    7 Games serie a
    1 Goal vs Roma
    1 Assist vs Atlanta

Regarding what he said. He was referring to the betting odds. How can we be behind those teams despite us being euro and nations league champions. I can understand us being behind France, Belgium and Spain...but no way should we be behind Croatia , England, Italy and Netherlands (we beat them without much difficulty in the final).
    On the comparison of us and Belgium...which Belgium players would i take in our starting eleven. Probaly only the following: Courtois, KDB, Hazard, Alderweireld and Witsel.

Courtois
    Ricardo Pepe Alderweireld Guerreiro
    Witsel William
    Hazard KDB Bernardo
    Ronaldo

Keep in mind the attacking reinforcement Belgium brings off the bench when they are not winning often is Michy Batsyuashi/Benteke who are Eder level players. Its not too far fetched to say our team is better, but yes overall i would agree their team is slightly stronger than us. They may have a better lb than guerreiro which in that case they win 6-5....but overall the point is that Belgium is not much much better than us like your post seemed to insinuate

6. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Lol Eder level players.

7. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They're not Eder level, but they/re not good either.

Belgium is a solid team, but very unbalanced. Their attack is probably better with Hazard/KDB/Carrasco, and Witsel orchestrating things pushing up the field, but we're more balanced all over the pitch, and our attack is no slouch either now.

8. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    You're flat our silly. Honest question.. who outside of Hazard and MAYBE Lukaku is a 100% sure starter on the Portuguese NT? There isnt one. Not one.

Portugal has an incredible pool of talent at their disposal. The mix of veterans and youth (both sets Euro/NL winners) is unmatched on the international level at the moment.

9. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #1034 prodigal_mind, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    True... i overestimated their talents, they are below eder level. They can never do what our Lord Eder did.

Purposely handling the ball to trick the ref into giving Koscielny a yellow was his most high iq play. Prevented Kos from fouling him for the goal

Never forget

This is what happens when you score the tournament winning goal

[​IMG]

10. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You're a joke

SCP21 repped this.
  11. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    This is honestly embarrassing. I dont know how you can be this biased, it's kind of surreal.

The simple fact that you left off KdB shows you have no idea what you're talking about.

12. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    any one seen an improvement in Rui Patricio since he started playing in England with his crosses in the box and catching?

13. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    you should post more. I admire your knowledge and heart of the game. I can tell you are a true chop who takes no crap from anyone. You ever get into any fights with people who talked smack about Portugal?

14. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I’d say he’s been noticeably better at that stuff since ~2016, but he is absolutely a better GK overall today than he was in the early 2010s.

He’s absolutely rock solid for Wolves. Anything that gets past him is of the what’re-you-gonna-do variety. He gets less credit than he deserves and you can’t point to stats like saves or goals allowed vs. expected goals allowed because Wolves just doesn’t allow many SOG.

Wolves got him for £16 million and he’s still only 32, which was a huge steal.

15. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I agree about that. It’s funny how we’ve got a lot of fans here on one end of the spectrum or another. There are those who claim Portugal is the best, most balanced team in the world (no) and others who say Belgium’s squad is clearly, objectively better than Portugal’s (also no).

Belgium reminds me of the Netherlands teams Portugal’s always supposed to struggle with yet always beats. They do have some incredible talent and finally put it all together more effectively at the 2018 World Cup, but when push comes to shove they have trouble winning those 1-0 type of matches you eventually find yourself in during the knockout stage.

But as far as the squad talent goes, both Portugal and Belgium have plenty and neither has a clear advantage on the other overall. Yes, they have KDB and Eden Hazard leading the way, but last time I checked Portugal still has Ronaldo, who’s tallied 42 G+A this season, even more than KDB. Ricardo Pereira, Bruno Fernandes, Bernardo Silva, William, Ruben Neves, Raphael Guerreiro... There’s plenty there.

Belgium’s 23 may be a little more experienced at the top flight club level and is deep, but they too rely on central defenders in their mid-30s.

16. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    At the same time, while Belgium, Croatia and England are all among the best teams in the world at the moment, the cumulative amount of fear they inspire in me is zero. All four current squads are talented and accomplished, yet only Portugal’s recent accomplishments include winning trophies.

17. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lest we not forget Belgium getting owned by not only Switzerland, but also Wales. I’m not sure why the sporting fan thinks so highly of them. At least when we lose it’s to elite teams and not Against the likes of those. Our play style is their kryptonite. I’m fairly confident we would beat them at least 7/10 times.

One advantage they have over us is their ability to easily smash most inferior teams whom we usually struggle against in qualifications and group stages since we struggle tend to play down to our opponents levels (Iran Morocco etc)

18. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I would come up with a thoughtful reply and argue against the losing to elite teams only, but its obvious you are just a troll. You've changed your opinion on Belgium like 12 times in this thread alone.

19. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #1044 prodigal_mind, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    No I haven’t.You just cannot produce a counter argument because you know I am right. No one else in here seems to agree with you that Belgium is much better than us

20. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Well... except you... when you did...

21. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Im sorry.. i didnt see your answer.. *idiot*

22. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Who do you think are the current top 5 best players in the world?

23. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    TBH, ive never been into the 'top 5' kind of list. Its hard to insert multiple position type players into one category as they are all valued differently.

If i HAD to choose.. In no particular order.. I know a couple selections may be viewed with a crooked eye (Ronaldo for example).. but at the end of the day.. he is still capable of taking over a game by himself and carrying a team to the next level, even if he isnt what he once used to be.

Messi
    Ronaldo
    Mbappe
    Lewandowski
    Van Dijk

24. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Good list but here is mine

Ronaldo