EURO 2020: Reigning, Defending, Champions Of Europe General Discussion

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yeah but he was a good manager though even though he did leave a lot to be desired

2. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm pretty confident he did sub Rui Costa on in the final, if my memory is correct.

3. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Losing to greece is embarassing. How can we let such a crappy footballing nation win a major title. Of course when you have a bum like Ricardo in net its not suprising.

4. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Cristiano Ronaldo with that man bun hairstyle...probably one of his better hairstyles if you ask me...I wonder if he keeps it going into EURO 21

5. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I always thought Ricardo was unfairly treated. Sure he ********ed up, but we probably wouldn't have made it that far without him.

verde-rubro repped this.
  6. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Or bums like Nuno Gomes, and Helfer Postiga.

But I agree. Ricardo is a lifetime frangueiro and an absolute bum of a GK. Dude always ran off his line for no ********ing reason.

7. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ehhh. Yea he saved PKs against England. But the dude was CONSTANTLY off his line for no reason whatsoever.

Still, we also had other issues. Our forwards were (and still are) trash. Costinha had constant mental lapses (I.E. Michael Owens goal). Carvalho got owned by Charisteas.

8. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I would rather lose in penalties to england than have him gift greece the game winning goal in the final.Any somewhat decent keeper would have dealt with that corner

I dont even think Baia was that great himself, but he definately should have been the starter

9. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Baia fvking of his line in Euro 96 being chipped by Karel Poborsky, CZECH REPUBLIC in the QF. was seating just behind the goal to the left and watched it float in.

10. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

F*ck that is painful.

11. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pretty sure it was Costinha who gifted the goal.

12. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Should have either caught/punched it or stayed in the middle of the goal where it was headed..

He also had this masterpiece where he appears to close his eyes and scared like a puppy against germany in 08

[​IMG]

We could have won euro 2004 with Moreira in net

13. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Carvalho was not the issue, he was the best CB in that tournament.

Ricardo was a always in need of a guide dog when crosses were whipped into the box, and as mentioned Costinha was a solid D-Mid, but was not "steady" or consistent.

14. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Portugal another tournament they could have won or at least made the Final was Germany in 2006 but lost to France in the semi final

Joe Martelo repped this.
  15. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Yes Ricardo had his faults and so did Costinha. I rate Patrício and William much higher.

goalkeeper and defensive midfield are crucial positions , Especially if you are trying to win an international tournament.

16. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Rui Patricio will he still be the #1? He is getting up there in age...he will be 34 by the time Qatar 2022 starts should Portugal get there but also William Carvalho is starting to get old too by 2022 he'll be 30

17. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    34 is not old for a goalkeeper...
    30 is also not old for a player like William.

Portugal also has other good options for defensive mid, including Ruben Neves and Joao Palhinha.

18. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    yes I agree, the Portugal 2006 team was fantastic and well-organized.
    it was better defensively than the 2004 squad IMO.

Ofori repped this.
  19. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    yes I believe he did. However, I believe we were short a substitution because Miguel was injured during the game.

I have analyzed this match before and specifically Greece's tactics, but I never decided to use such disgusting tactics with any of the teams that I coach.

also, another reason we lost was that UEFA decided to appoint a German Referee. the Greece Manager was German. Many of the calls went against Portugal.

There should have been 6 minutes of stoppage time but he ended the game after abotu only 1 minute as well when we were piling on pressure.

20. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yeah I meant Rui is getting up there in age but for William he is hitting his prime

21. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    That it was but if you guys had beaten France you guys would have had to face your rivals Italy in the Final that year and Italy was looking good

22. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    I wouldn't call Italy our rivals, we haven't had many important matches against them.

I have thought about what a Italy Portugal 2006 match would look like,
    I have analyzed the teams and tactics in-depth. The most common outcome I had was Portugal winning 1-0. I have done about 10 simulations of this.

23. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Give it a rest.

24. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    To think if COVID-19 was not happening right now, EURO 2020 would be getting started as of yesterday and Portugal would have been playing either today or tomorrow

25. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]