EURO 2020: Reigning, Defending, Champions Of Europe General Discussion

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Spot 1 and 2 will go to France and Portugal. This German team is a notch below what they were just a couple years ago.

2. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #777 Sumol, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    I agree, but what pisses me off is that they are hosts. Who benefits from this draw? UEFA.

I think this is also why Santos is the man for the job and a defensive-minded manager will always be the best option for Portugal. I wouldn't want an offensive minded manager when bullcrap like this happens.

I really despise the fact that there are multiple hosts. What a garbage concept. It's a crazy advantage just for half-ass hosting the tournament.

3. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes this is without a doubt a cash grab Euro under the guise of it being the 60th anniversary. In the end though, I think we all have a tendency to over think the group's. Hopefully after this Euro we won't have to deal with such a mess again.

Does anyone else feel unusually confident because it feels things go better for us when the deck is stacked or looking bleak as oppose to when things look easy or simple?

4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    one of my fav Blumentopf songs still

5. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Funny thing is if VAR was around they would of still gave the goal to the cheating cvnts

6. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #781 GoodDead, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    We dominated every game besides France where the possession was 52-48. Iceland benefitted from one defensive lapse, Hungary had a bomb of a shot and 2 deflections and Austria stood on their heads in defence and Ronaldo missed a pk.
    Poland benefitted from a defensive lapse and was able to cling to a draw for pks. Croatia did nothing but shoot from outside of the box and we killed Wales start to finish.
    If anything Portugal was unlucky not to flat out win every game.

If you mean we didn't score enough or made 1 costly mistake in a few games as starting slow then sure. But for me we controlled the entire besides the Final where Ronaldo was taken out. Once Extra time hit though France was done.

artielange84 repped this.
  7. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sounds lame. But nice to know you acknowledge how you had to cheat and use ref help to beat us. Bravo

Look out behind you it's a Mexican! .... Lol just kidding turn back around.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No the Ferreira incident was just saved as a "lulz, what a wuss. Anyway, let's carry on" situation in German footy history.

ok what about 2014?

9. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Preview of this coming summer,

10. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is more accurate representation of the teams next year. Much more than reliving cheating years of years past.

11. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Sergio Conceciao 3 Portugal 3-0 Germany Euro 2000

Stuttgart

12. patCOSTA

patCOSTA Member

Mar 30, 2005
    First of all... It's amazing what winning a tournament does to a Nation and a forum... Very positive here, usually it's oh no it's over, and this usually before 2016. We were always negative and always didn't think we were good enough.
    Portugal can beat anyone today when they give 100% and are 100% Healthy that is the key.

The way I see it, is it takes a win maybe vs Germany, or France to advance... That Rhimes :) So Get a win, maybe a loss or draw and beat that 4 th place team should be good enough to get 2nd or 3rd...
    This is the Euro is it's always more fair I feel, it's why we see Countries we don't expect win unlike Fifa Tournaments where the big Countries always get the calls in the end and lower teams get red carded or pk's againts.

So how does the third place thing work?
    How do they know who's the best third place team? Does it work with pts, if so, then it makes no sense, because they are not playing Germany or France, they are playing weaker Nations...
    For me the only way to make it work would be all third place teams advance play a game and then they go to playoffs, would make more sense, but, I know this isn't going to happen. You can't can't compare a third place team that played in this group vs another team that finished third but played easier Nations... Makes zero sense.

Either way, I feel this will go two ways, either Portugal will get blown away, or they will shock the world once more, cuz everyone always underrates them as usual cuz they know nothing about soccer / football.

Portugal is to blame though for losing to Ukraine, a game they dominated with 24 shots? to 5? Very sad, but, in the end they put themselves here.

2016 was a dream, I saw that dream happen, glad my dad saw it too, and sadly my Grand fathers and Grand Mothers did not. I will always be happy forever, no matter what happens even if they lose all 4 games. I know they will always be Champions and I witnessed it. And I know like life, in sports we bounce back. They can fall but eventually in time they will have glory again.

FORCA PORTUGAL!

JoseEmidio and GoodDead repped this.
  13. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    There is no such thing as a favorable group. Teams are here for a reason. Remember at how delighted we were at how 'easy' our world cup group was last year? Well, it came down to the wire with Iran. Portugal & Spain barely made it out. We also attacked right from the start of the whistle in the knockout game against Uruguay and they beat us using our own style. All we did was attack at the world cup and we LOST. It is not our identity. Honestly, maybe it just never was.

14. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thats because we were robbed. That penalty was bs

15. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Our World Cup group wasn’t easy at all.
    Compared to the other groups it was one of the most difficult ones. We were also seeded but still got stuck with Spain.

16. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Bring it on. I think we play better against the good teams, so not really worried.

We have to finish top 3, and we avoid Germany and France until the finals.

17. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    An absolute joke call. It's even in the FIFA hand book, that exact situation is not a PK.
    Even worse than them trying to give Ronaldo a red.

That other side of the bracket was a cake walk to the Final where it would have been up for grabs vs France.

18. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    IMO the seedings were suspect and this tournament is odd with multiple hosts.

IMO the nations league will soon surpass the euro cup as the most prestigious continental title. The games are played in a league format and lend itself less to fluke occurrences , form/injury, or weird seeding situations.

As soon as one of the big countries (France , Germany, Spain etc) win a a nations league it will suddenly become prestigious is my honest prediction.

I personally will not be watching this tournament.
    I plan to travel to Asia next June and visit some
    Holy sites (I do follow some Buddhist beliefs and have an interest in it).

If Portugal reaches the final, I might watch but it’s pretty obvious UEFA has structured the tournament to make
    That very unlikely.

19. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Don’t we play the 4th seed team first and then play a weaker Germany? Call me crazy but I see Portugal making it out the group stage to the knock out stages.

20. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Yes, the schedule is definitely favorable towards Portugal. The playoff team will be the first match, Germany second and France third. Sooooo TBH, i like Portugals chances of getting out of this group.. and pretty comfortably too.

21. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Keep mentioning a weakened germany team, but dont mention the fact that we will have to play them in Germany....

22. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Plus a player that is banging them in for Bayern this season

23. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That's what i've been saying. If it wasn't for that, i would be completely fine with this group (Even though the draw was rigged)

This draw had me laughing right from the start.

UEFA:

Ok, guys. We all know England is the most beloved national team and can bring many fans to our games so lets make their pathway as easy as possible even though they will choke (Just like the world cup and the euro before that)

Also,
    Remember the Portugal and France thing? Let's revisit that! It will be what everyone talks about before the tournament. Let's throw in hosts Germany with them just for the extra chaos!

[​IMG]

24. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The opera audience in Munich can hardly count for an home advantage. Germany's record is so meh there that DFB hardly allocates any games to Munich. Only if they must.

Do you do this, playing the victim card all the time, so that you, the tiny and helpless Portugal, can buck yourselves up after you somehow still miraculously make it of the group?

25. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Against France we should play with

———-Patricio——-
    Semedo—Fonte-Dias—Cancelo
    ————Danilo—William—-
    ———Sanches—-Bernardo—-
    ————Paciencia—-Cr7

Need strong players in the middle to counter them. Bernardo has to play though.