EURO 2020: Reigning, Defending, Champions Of Europe General Discussion

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Nov 20, 2018.

1. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If Romania wins we get a Group D team.

2. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Only to cry later, like usual

BatatasFritas repped this.
  3. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Don't forget Portugal players had very little interest in international games. Look at 86' beat England, then they wanted more money and essentially threw the next 2 games.

4. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    A dynamic Portugal side historically dominates the Germans I am not worried in the slightest, In fact Bernardo already dominated the Germans once in his career already at U21 semi final. France play a 3-4-3 that matches up horribly against Portugal we will dominate them the same way we dominated the Dutch and Italians. Bernardo's creativity and William / Danilo stifling long balls and counters will be the key to our success.

5. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I dont really have an issue with the draw. It is what it is. It prevents Portugal from starting off slow which IMO can only be beneficial to the teams chances at going deep in the tournament. No room for slip ups.

Bright side? if we can view it as one.. our first game will be against the playoff team which regardless of who it is, will be the weakest team in the group. Our 2nd game? Against Germany which i rate below France. The match ups, though tough.. fall nicely for Portugal.

At this point. between now and June, we simply need the players to remain fit, get into form (and remain there) and for those on the bridge, take a step in the right direction in their development.

Portugal will do well.

I also believe this tournament is completely rigged to favor England... sincerely hope this blows up in their face.

6. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Italy Netherlands and Belgium
    Seem to have the best draws.

You also have to look at the likely bracket, especially since the 4 best third place sides move on.

7. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Euro 2000

8. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Damn... What. A. Group!

Portugal plays better under pressure and Germany ain't the same team of years past(too much pressure).

France will be tough but there is a reason why this Portugal crop is ready... Bernardo two years ago sucked, but he's matured now. Felix will struggle I bet, needs maturing process.

That said: if we PLAY to our STRENGH, we WIN; but FS is such a flip flopper, who the f**k knows.

Italy got the easy route. Ugh!

9. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #760 jec1, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Hell yeah!!!!

I hate how our mindset is when it comes to tournaments...

You play hard and win as a team, sound familiar? Portugal best France w/o CR, because of drive and ethic.

We gotta STOP fearing and put on the gearing! Santos better not eff up in selections, it cost us last term.

10. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Is he still employed? I dunno, haven't been in T.O since March.

11. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    The funniest thing I’ve seen is that England fans in their forum genuinely feel they will beat us or Germany,

They said they would only have trouble
    With France! LOL

12. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    Couldn't have said it better myself. The Germans have had plenty of help in the past. We should have been in at least 3 or 4 finals in the past 20 years if it wasn't for us getting screwed.

13. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    We historically get the group of death so it's nice for a change. In 2016 we won our group and played defending euro champs Spain. Next we had World cup champs Germany and if we beat them we would have faced the hosts france. No prize for coming first.
    I hope you guys make it out of the group and eliminate England. England scares me and I think Portugal is one of the few teams who can take them. You all know my hatred for England. Best of luck to you gents!

Paposeco and JoseEmidio repped this.
  14. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Typical overhyped English. If they win I am going to back dive out of office window.

15. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Portugal had groups of death in 2000, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2020.

The only team who usually has easy groups is England. Spain seems to often get it easy too.

England / Portugal would be a tough one their speedy forwards would give us trouble but Santos is usually smart as a coach. And to be honest, does anyone think Ronaldo felix Bernardo, fernandes, etc wouldn’t pop at least one or two in against England. ?

16. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Italy has a good draw this time.
    Imo Italy Belgium and Netherlands are the biggest winners out of this draw. I’m sure all 3 will reach at least the quarter final stage.

17. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I can see portugal winning a tight game. Maybe playing the counter attack and catching England off guard.

18. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I agree. With our young team we need all the help we can get. I just hope we have a strong showing to boost confidence and try and forget 2018.

19. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    I think your team will do well.
    What’s most amazing to me is this is yet another tournament where Italy and Portugal do not get drawn together. We were in the same group in nations league but in every world or Euro this seems to be a forbidden matchup.

20. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Very true. Maybe we will meet later on :)

21. nelly29

nelly29 Member

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Jun 20, 2017
    Terrible draw... If we start out slow it will be a quick tournament....

22. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think the funniest thing that could happen would be for us to troll Europe again by qualifying as a 3rd place team and then going on a run to win the tournament

JoseEmidio and Joe Martelo repped this.
  23. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    I agree and this group makes it more likely to happen lol

24. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    We started slow in 2016 and it was a very long tournament for us....