Euro 2020 (quarti di finale): Italia - Belgio

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by calabrese8, Jun 29, 2021.

1. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Emerson is not a bad LB whatsoever, pretty solid BUT as mentioned earlier he's not the greatest defender and he does push forward as well and he is impressive at times. We shall see, i still don't care right now because i'm still celebrating the win.

Look how far we've come, not many teams can have a major turnaround like we did, i'm glad we're back to the stage of teams fearing us, no one wants to play Italy.

3. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Palmieri isn't a stiff. He's a good player and he has many starts for us. I'm just saying he has a tough customer in Torres on that side so we have to think carefully about not exposing that wing too much.

Nabolidaboli repped this.
  4. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    This is a great achievement for this team...reaching the semis but we can't be satisfied at this point. We are Italia. I'm still feeling the pain of Euro 2000 and we are due to win this Cup at some point.

I have to say I'm so tired of hearing about how we have no great players but we are a great team. Even Italians say this. I'm old enough to remember 1982 and onwards. I've seen great Azzurri teams. This team has a LOT of talent at many positions.

1. Immobile may have sucked this past game but he was Europe's top scorer recently.

2. Chiesa was one of the best players in Champions League this year.

3. Insigne's technical ability is among the best in the world...it's always his size that's limited him.

4. Jorginho was the heart of the team that won the CL.

5. Barella probably was the best midfielder in Serie A.

6. Verratti's pedigree at PSG has been known for a while.

7. Locatelli is young, had a fantastic year at Sassuolo, and has bidding wars from big clubs going on.

8. Chiellini and Bonucci we know are warriors.

9. Donnarumma is set to become the most expensive keeper in the world.

I haven't even mentioned Spinazzola who's been the best left back of this tourney by far. Even Di Lorenzo has played well despite struggling with blistering speed yesterday.

My point is that too many people actually underestimate the talent. You would think this is Greece 2004 playing out there.

calabrese8 and SF19 repped this.
  5. Nabolidaboli

Nabolidaboli Member

Sep 7, 2018
    It’s been mentioned by many but I think needs to be emphasized again, Ciro was really bad yesterday. Woulda/coulda/shoulda but Italy was more dangerous than just two goals and a lot of that is on Ciro. I do agree that a game against a Spain side should be his time to shine at the tournament. Here’s to hoping he slips a couple into the net and makes me look like an idiot!

6. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  7. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    We can always try Berna at LB lol. Pirlo thought it was a good idea.

calabrese8, indestructible and Stamos repped this.
  8. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Emerson comes into the starting XI there problem solved

9. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think some are forgetting that up until a few months before this tournament, some still had Emerson in their starting 11 and Spinazzola wasn't a lock. With that said, it's a big loss. No two ways about it. I think Mancini might consider Florenzi for the LB spot and the 3 back line, as 'Uaglio mentioned, did cross my mind. However, I'd be surprised if we don't see Emerson start Tuesday.

Re. the talent level on this team - its always been this way. Even in 2006, the knock was that besides Buffon, we didn't have any world beaters. Cannavaro was always knocked for his size, some said Toni was a flash in the pan, Totti was overrated, Del Piero already peaked, we couldn't score goals, cattenaccio....on and on and on... every single non-Italian I knew - and even know now - talk shit about us diving, getting favorable calls, etc. I've tuned them out a long time ago.

Even yesterday, hearing the British commentator state that Italy really needed another goal - despite us leading - was amusing. Or hearing how on every Belgium foul, they barely touched us. After the penalty was VARd as a penalty, the commentators exact words were Thank Goodness. When I was younger, I'd get offended. Nowadays? I laugh, because it's obvious it comes from a place of jealousy. Their ignorance is on them to cope with.

For us? Onwards and up. Forza Azzurri!! Semi-finals, here we come.

TheNewMeazza, DOctore13 and calabrese8 repped this.
  10. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    A back three should be Italy's B plan.

Spain's forwards have a hard time with finishing. If they had good finishers, then a back three from the outset would make more sense. To play with an extra defender will probably invite more Spanish pressure while at the same Italy become a man short when pressing Spain's defense. It allows Spain to be comfortable on the ball when it goes back to their defense and at the same time invites pressure on Italy's defense.

I think Italy can compete with Spain in the middle. Beating the Spanish at their own game is a gamble, but Veratti and Jorginho are as accomplished and talented as anyone in Spain's midfield. Players like Chiesa, Insigne, Barella, and Bonucci are also very good at retaining the ball. Mancini has the team in good form and belief. Changing things now could jeopardize a good thing.

The only argument I can see for a back three is if Bonucci plays more like a libero and looked to ease pressure off Italy's backline when pressed, aiming to play balls over the top of the Spanish defense for Insigne and Chiesa to chase. But I think Mancini should wait to see first. That change should only happen if in fact Spain's press is creating too many problems for Italy's back four and Italy can't compete with Spain's midfield for the ball. If Italy are losing that battle, then I think no choice but to go to a back three.

I think it's better to start with Emerson at left-back and Belotti up front. Belotti can harry and press the Spanish defenders better than Immobile. Immobile's only playing over Belotti because he offers more of a proper goal threat, but that performance against Belgium looked like the performance of a player filled with self-doubt. I think Mancini should play him from the bench for this one. Emerson should not try to out do Spinazzola. He should focus more on helping his team defensively first and getting forward at a level he is comfortable with. To do what Spinazzola offensively was doing would be asking a lot from him.

11. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    The Spain game will be won/lost on the wings. They stretch the field like no other, and create most of their opportunities playing through Alba and Azpilicueta.

12. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Media having a field day with Immobile, our flopping is pretty embarrassing and i wish they would move away from it. Yes other teams flop but Italy takes it to another level, i wonder how much this affects Immobile mentally, it's literally everywhere, dude dying on the pitch and miraculously gets cured as soon as Barella scored, fail.

13. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Italy dive but it is who they are

14. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We’re in the 2020’s and people are still shocked players dive to draw fouls or waste time

Pietro Calcio and Nabolidaboli repped this.
  15. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    what about De Bruynes dive early in the 2nd half trying to get Verratti sent off with a second yellow? Lol

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  16. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm just saying that the media is posting it everywhere, haven't seen any other player get called out like Immobile is, it's embarrassing period.

17. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Verratti not very good at it.

18. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Saw an interesting take on Twitter from an inter fan. Bastoni at LB?

he’s got the pace and technical ability to do so.

FAB10 repped this.
  19. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Some guys need to stop defending it. Watch other teams, and you'll see how it's done correctly, minus some obvious fails like Bezus vs Sweden.

20. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Who cares? If they can't say it about Italy, then they say it about Argentina.

It's says a helluva lot more about the anglophone press and the excuses it needs to make (fabricate) for England's perpetual mediocrity. Literally, they've been saying the same thing for decades.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  21. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Every team embellishes fouls...every single one. I've seen it from England countless times. Let them keep talking...that will light a fire under Gli Azzurri even more.

scirea6, Tifoso and Pietro Calcio repped this.
  22. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    speaking of which… I want them bad in a final.

23. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #148 Pietro Calcio, Jul 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    Correct. Strange usernames with not much history that barely post in here with this complaint are trying to do it under the guise of virtuosity but really it's disingenuous intentions ( Claiming to be Italy fans but God knows if they really are . Many probably not even Italian or even true supporters to say the least if they aren't Italian ) . These people obsessed with only Italy in particular over this of all things , when it's rampant in today's game and therefore a necessary evil , are then highly suspect Let's see how far virtuosity gets you on the pitch when the other team is not prepared to do so. Have these other idiots ever considered this? Seriously shut the f^ck up . Who gives a damn what they say ? Let them complain as they ALL DO IT themselves . Failing to meet them in this category will only put you on the disadvantage on the pitch. There are no rules in war. Especially when the other squad is prepared to draw the same blood .

Thought you might find this interesting. See if you can make the connection after reading this post and some others. And then they wonder why we call them out?

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/o...s-league-thread.2009308/page-61#post-32126132

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/supercoppa-italia-8-8-15-in-shanghai.2021794/page-3#post-32746172

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/i...ualifying-games.2024260/page-13#post-32904814

calabrese8 repped this.
  24. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's due to a few different factors. The first being that the tournament ( as in the final tournament ) from the beginning until 1980 only featured 4 teams leaving very little qualification room for other great teams of Europe. In 1980 when is expanded from 4 to 8 teams and added a group stage it became a bit easier to qualify, but still too often very good teams were left out of the tourney due limited qualifying spots ( much tougher were the groups in qualifying then ) .

And finally the Euro was seen with much less prestige for much of its early history. The top teams of Europe put more effort into qualifying for the World Cup and playing well in the World Cup. Now imagine how Italy took their approach in particular at this time?

All of that brings us to the final third of history of the tournament where finally the tournament was expanded to 16 teams which meant more available spots so that the top Nations still made it in and the level of prestige had gone up immensely from the 90s on.

The European Cup for all intents and purposes was like the prestige of today's Confederations cup when it first started . Many nations didn't care the same way with limited spots , especially true for Italian mentality. The European Cup did not draw the same attention during that era as the World Cup.

This attitude of approach has been dead quite a while now , explaining why you have seen Italy get to the final in 2000 , 2012 and maybe / hopefully this year as well.

So we will see if Italy finally raises this trophy for a 2nd time after winning it in 68 and placing 2nd 2000 and 2012.

calabrese8 and Ofori repped this.
  25. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Italy has to beat Spain first and recent history Spain has your guys' number. Yeah you guys beat them in the last EURO 5 years ago in 2016 in the Round of 16 but then in 2018 qualifying for Russia, they beat you guys. But both nations have different teams now. Different managers. But at the same time under Mancini, Italy are a much stronger team. Much more defensive than before but the counter attack is just something to watch. Really fun flowing football.