Euro 2020 Qualifying Official Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Mean Machine, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Fair enough. As it stands right now, Belgium and Italy are on a collision course for a quarterfinal matchup in Munich, so hopefully we get to see this question settled on the pitch.

2. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We play Germany in march, that'll be a nice test.

Rosay and Deleted User x repped this.
  3. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    We did that day. No doubt. However, that Belgium side was very poorly managed whereas Conte did a great job with that Italy side. Fortunately we have a lot better talent on the present side and another good manager.

I'm just happy that the way this has played out cuts very well for us. We have an easier group stage and essentially would only have to win three games to be European champions. Even though I believe sides like Belgium, France and England are better, we can compete with all of them. It should be very exciting.

Ciro Di Marzio and calabrese8 repped this.
  4. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I still think that Belgium is not managed as well as they can be. Roberto Martinez was definitely an upgrade from Wilmonts but they still appear to be disorganized in attack. Also they are really lacking in midfield with Nainggolan being their only world class midfielder, and it is beyond me why he is playing at Cagliari right now. I guess De Bruyne, if you consider him a midfielder, but I look at him as more of an attacking player just behind the striker or on the wing depending on how the team plays. Also their defense seems shaky. Kompany is aging, and Vertonghen and Alderweireld are not having a good season at the moment.

Really with Belgium, Nainggolan, De Bruyne, and Hazard are the only world class players. Lukaku, Carrasco, Witsel, and Mertens are good but inconsistent at times. They do have some young promising talent but I am not sure if their youngsters are ready for a tournament like this or not yet.

I'd honestly say that Belgium and Us are kind of in the same phase right now. Both us and Belgium have a mixture of a few world class players, with many other good players that are inconsistent, and some youngsters that look promising but we don't know really what they hold yet.

If we matched up against Belgium, it would be a close game that could go either way. I have more faith in Mancini than Roberto Martinez, but it's not like Mancini is Conte or this world class manager that every club is trying to get. Yes he is getting amazing results for us right now, but we have not played a real team yet under him. Same to be said about Belgium, as they have not played a real team either since the World Cup.

5. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I love these subjective assessments based on teams for 1-2 years ago. Totally bang on.

6. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    almost as bad as the Portuguese complaining they're in pot 3 and should be given respect for winning a tournament 4 years ago... and winning a few friendly games that was repackaged and labelled as the nations league LOL

7. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    You are incorrect as nations league is indeed considered a major tournament. See honours section.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugal_national_football_team.

Nations league arguably takes more skill to win than a world
    Or euro cup because it is largely based in a league format. It is like comparing Domestic cup to national league.

8. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    If Belgium France and England were so good they would have won the nations league.... which was only last year and is most indicative of current capabilities.

Portugal is the proven number one contender , but Italy has a good draw and I believe will make a good tournament.

9. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pretty delusional if you think Switzerland, England and Netherlands were taking those games as friendlies.. Portugal should be in pot 1 because of where they are in the rankings and not for winning those tournaments

Im not suprised by such ignorant comments considering what we see at serie a matches on a weekly basis.

10. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Says the Indian killing slave trader.

11. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Be careful how you speak online to others, especially when the person you are speaking too also happens to live in Toronto and is 6"4

totti fan repped this.
  12. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here's a live look at Joe Martelo and Prodigal mind discussing just how prestigious the nations league is LOL

[​IMG]

ps... nevermind the world cup or euro... you guys should focus on a cup that actually matters to useless nations like yours... perhaps the confederations cup? or maybe you can organize a tournament to win with your former territories Angola and Cape Verde and put that one on your almost empty trophy shelf?

Attached Files:

Rosay repped this.
  13. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    "empty trophy shelf"

Current european champions. atomic radius level iq

14. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    what is the word i typed right before "empty trophy shelf"

15. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    https://www.france24.com/en/20181013-no-drama-italy-flop-nations-league-mancini

"Our aim is to be ready for Euro 2020," said the former Manchester City and Inter Milan coach ahead of Sunday's game against Poland in Chorzow.

"If we lose tomorrow, not much really changes. It's not as if we'll miss out on the Euros and never play again. It can happen to England, to Croatia, or Holland.

"The Nations League was created just so countries wouldn't underestimate friendly matches. I don't see the need to make a drama out of it."

- Roberto Mancini.... and probably all other countries coaches except Portugal LOL

16. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nations league > World Cup and Euro

Who would have thunk it? That's some deep shit.

calabrese8 repped this.
  17. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    " Almost ' , I believe it was. As in one more than zero.

I always get a kick out of you guys from Toronto and Montreal in Canada with the Portuguese...lol

18. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    I didn't create your history. Your ancestors did.

19. Zacarías

Zacarías Member

Real Betis
    Spain
    Jul 19, 2017
    Sevilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You can’t expect him to be that smart. I mean after all, ele é italiano

20. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Watching the Roma vs Torino game today I hope that Mancini never chooses Florenzi for the national team again. He was absolutely horrible. Got torched over and over again on that right side.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Based on current form, I’d start Bellotti and Sirigu....I’m not convinced on Donnarumma in goal. He has a lot of promise and potential but is still only 20 turning 21 years old next month and he has been poor as of late. I think they are trying to compare him too much to Buffon but he isn’t as good. As a matter of fact, I’d still pick a 42 year old Buffon over Donnarumma...

Le pagelle di Roma-Torino 0-2: Belotti devastante, Sirigu insuperabile. Dzeko ...

Tifoso repped this.
  22. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    No one is discounting Portugal. They are a contender. I'm not sure what you mean by "number one contender" but if you mean favorite, they are not that and rightfully so. France, England and Belgium all come into this tournament in better position.

23. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, about as stupid as thinking the Nations League is a major international tournament. Do us a favor and GTFO with your ignorant comments. You can go jerk each other off on the Portuguese board over your momentous Nations League triumph.

Rosay and calabrese8 repped this.
  24. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Fair enough.
    We’ll see how things go next summer it should be a relatively open one.

25. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Every country has things in their history they wouldn’t be proud of. I don’t think our explorers and colonists of the 15th century should be judged through today’s moral lens.

Portugal today is fairly progressive and black African players have been welcome on our team since the 1950s. Look up Eusebio, Mario Coluna, the former has a statue to him outside Estadio da Luz.

Pietro Calcio repped this.