Euro 2020 Qualifying Official Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Mean Machine, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    #1 Mean Machine, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Hard to believe, but the draw for Euro 2020 is tomorrow, and qualifiers will come before we know it!!! Really looking forward to this, will be exciting, and I cannot wait to see how our new Azzurri Team does in the process. So here are the pots for tomorrow's draw:

Pot 1: Switzerland, Portugal, Netherlands, England, Belgium, France, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Poland
    Pot 2: Germany, Iceland, Bosnia, Ukraine, Denmark, Sweden, Russia, Austria, Wales, Czech Republic
    Pot 3: Slovakia, Turkey, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Finland, Bulgaria, Israel
    Pot 4: Hungary, Romania, Greece, Albania, Montenegro, Cyprus, Estonia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Georgia
    Pot 5: Macedonia, Kosovo, Belarus, Luxembourg, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Gibraltar, Faroe Islands
    Pot 6: Latvia, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Malta, San Marino

We are in Pot 1!!!!!!!!

Best Possible Scenario: Iceland, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Gibraltar, San Marino

Worst Possible Scenario: Germany, Serbia, Greece, Macedonia, Malta

However, if we can just avoid Serbia from Pot 3, I feel we should be alright since the top 2 teams qualify automatically. Turkey and Greece might be threats as well. Otherwise we only have to worry about Pot 2 teams.

Attached Files:

2. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, I agree with you. The draw is getting underway now.

3. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  5. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I fixed your post.

I don't care about the level of our talent as compared to previous years. There is no excuse for not dominating this group and not taking first. For the first time in a while, though, I have confidence in this side and that Mancini will get us there playing a nice brand of football.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'll give you one better. Unless Greece comes up with another fluke 2004 squad, any top Serie B squad should win this group.

7. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Definitely a kind draw, but not the easiest group though. Finland has been getting some surprising results recently. Greece and Bosnia have a couple world class players. However, with that saying there is no excuse for not winning this group. We should win it easily.

8. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes we should, and by playing some quality soccer too.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know a few players on Bosnia but Dzeko stands out.

[​IMG]

Only know Manolas on Greece.

[​IMG]

10. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How did Germany end up in pot 2? lol

11. Young Zmaj

Young Zmaj Member

Juventus
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 7, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Bad showing in Nations League. Your play there affects your seeding.

12. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #12 Buffonfan, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    I just read this from the news, the pots has been confirmed. And this is our draw group:
    Group J: Italy, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Finland, Greece, Armenia, Liechtenstein.

I think we should be okay right? Yes, we are in the rebuilding phase of our national team, but we should be able to advance this group. Shhesshh we better be. I seriously, seriously be crush if Italy won't get out of this group, come on.
    I think we will make it.

I feel bad for Northern Ireland, you poor Northern Ireland, they have a hard draw.

And England, pffffffff they have an easy draw.

13. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    @Rac93

Calcio Pauly and johnny6 repped this.
  14. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Greece has few good players: Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Kostas Manolas, authority of Kostas Fortounis and Kostas Mitroglou. Compact players made of Panathinaikos, Olympiakos, PAOK clubs.

Bosnia and Herzegovina has few good players: Toni Sunjic, Edin Džeko, Miralem Pjanić, Ermin Bičakčić.

Their coach is Croatian Robert Prosinecki, this is their advantage.
    The main negative things are:
    - relations between Bosnian Muslim, Serbian and Croatian players in that team. The team is much more associated with Bosnian Muslim ethnic group. Serbs and Croats who play for Bosnia and Herzegovina didn't got chances in Croatian or Serbian NT, because they are weaker.
    - negative political atmosphere, because of last elections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_general_election,_2018

"The elected members of the BiH Presidency are Šefik Džaferović (Bosniak, SDA), Željko Komšić (Croat, DF) and Milorad Dodik (Serb, SNSD). There was controversy over the election of the Croat member, as the non-nationalist candidate Željko Komšić (Democratic Front) won against the nationalist Dragan Čović (HDZ BiH) with the help of Bosniak voters, with Komšić winning first place almost exclusively in municipalities without a Croat relative majority. The result prompted protests of Croats accusing Bosniaks of out-voting and calling for the creation of their own entity or electoral constituency. In the following days, protests were held in Mostar with signs such as "Not my president" and "RIP Democracy",[3][4] In the days following election, several municipalities with Croat majority declared Komšić persona non grata."

There is only one Croat in that team: Toni Sunjic, who is a regular participant. There are few others: Jozo Šimunović, Marijan Ćavar, Luka Menalo, Tomislav Tomić,
    Stjepan Lončar

Not sure about: Srđan Stanić and Zoran Kvržić. Croats or Serbs.

So, Bosnia and Herzegovina might collapse during those matches, it wouldn't be the first time. They can be unpleasant if they unite and really play with hearts. But at the end, it's always the same, who is who, from where did he came, which religion he practices, which political party he accepts...

Their flag with blue and yellow colors is made with EU assistance, similar to Kosovo flag, because they can't agree about the colors. Their national anthem is a newly composed anthem. So we have funny situations where Croats of Bosnia and Herzegovina accept Croatian national symbols and anthem. Serbs accept Serbian flag and their anthem. It's hard to be a opened Roman Catholic and play in that team.:whistling: That's why, few clubs of Bosnia and Herzegovina use only Croatian symbols:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NK_Široki_Brijeg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HŠK_Zrinjski_Mostar

On the other hand, Bosnian Muslims try to promote king Tvrtko as their own king, even though he was a Roman Catholic. Funny atmosphere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tvrtko_I_of_Bosnia

Finland has few interesting results in recent matches. Compact and very defensive team. Let's not forget Armenia with Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Aras Özbiliz, Norberto Briasco-Balekian, Gegham Kadymyan, Jordy Joao Monroy Ararat. I don't know others. Few oriundo players. But everything below the first position is bad for Italy.

15. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Bosnia: Pjanic, Dzeko, Begovic

Greece: Kostas Manolas, Sokratis, Torosidis, Mitroglou, Fortounis

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I forgot about Pjanic. Actually, with Pjanic and Dzeko, they will give Italy a tough time...

17. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm more worried about 10 huge greek statues parking the bus on us and tieing 0-0

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I trust Roman a lot more than Greek Gods. Problem is there aren’t anymore left. The last God of Roma is wearing a suite complaining about the VAR.

19. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Let's hope ROMAgNoli can get there some day! lol

Calcio Pauly, johnny6 and falvo repped this.
  20. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Same here, but honestly with the players we have, we should be able to beat them. If we don't there are still a lot of problems with our team that have to be fixed.

21. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ya we should finish top of our group. it's going to be a fun next couple of years for the azzurri

22. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #22 Gilbertsson, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    There were five draws through history.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/greece/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Italy/

Greece played their first international match against Italy. They are not that good, since 2012.

I think that Bosnia and Herzegovina has much stronger talent in sports than Greece.
    Here is the list of Yugoslav players, it's easy to find those who originate from Bosnia and Herzegovina in all three ethnic groups.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Yugoslavia_international_footballers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslavia_national_football_team

Players like: Faruk Hadžibegić, Mehmed Baždarević, Safet Sušić.
    These ones are attached with Bosnia and Herzegovina today. Others are either Serbs or Croats.

They seem better than Austria, Bulgaria, South Korea, two recent draws against Greece, better than Japan, Cyprus, tight defeats against Spain, Belgium who have their own team problems. Bosnia belongs among top 15 teams. But they don't have discipline and same great shape in all periods of the year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnia_and_Herzegovina_national_football_team_results

It's hard to travel into Armenia, pretty far. Finland is around 2-3 h from Milano.

23. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Greece was the team that went to the play-offs for 2018 World Cup, NOT Bosnia finishing runners up to Belgium. Greece also pulled a draw against Belgium in Belgium and almost pulled a draw in Greece as well. Not a team to be underestimated.

24. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    In my opinion, both teams have problems with quality. Only they express this in a different way, Greece through defence, Bosnia through more possession and desire to attack. It's different to play in a club: Dzeko, Pjanic, where you are surrounded with top class players and after that you have a NT co-players who don't even play in top European leagues.

Bosnia is slightly better than Greece, but they won't win in two matches against them, two draws seem much more evident or even one wandering ball and Greece might win 1-0 and defend entire match.

You should follow Genoa and Empoli more, because of Zukanovic and Krunic. I don't know their quality.

Vedad Ibisevic was a good player, but he retired. Solid Bundesliga attacker, he scored often for Hoffenheim and Hertha.

25. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Immobile was awesome today vs Samp. Full of confidence and dangerous going forward. Basically the opposite of his Azzurri appearances.

And Quagliarella should get a call. It would send a message. And he deserves a look.

Rosay and calabrese8 repped this.