Euro 2020 Official Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by calabrese8, May 28, 2021.

1. bachir

bachir Member

Jul 21, 2007
    I'm surprised this isn't talked about more. People seem to forget that Florenzi was the first choice over Di Lorenzo. I'm fine with Di Lorenzo, he has been very good. I was expecting him to move to the other side make room for Florenzi.

2. Nabolidaboli

Nabolidaboli Member

Sep 7, 2018

I live in Chicago. Your best bet to find other Azzurri fans in the city is probably somewhere in Little Italy. It has been quite a while, but I imagine Hawkeyes will be full. The globe is a great soccer bar but it will be 90%+ England fans. Wrigleyville will probably have some stuff, but that will likely be England fans as well. Other than that, finding a bar in Elmwood Park, Edison Park, Norridge, etc will probably get you some Azzurri fans as well.

tmontana52 repped this.
  3. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We know that England won't play like the Spanish, but they don't play like the Belgians either. Roberto Martinez had no plan for us and they were more than happy to let us have the ball. England will not be this naïve. The English midfield is very good defensively, physical and very fit. Of course I want to put 3-4 goals past them, but I really think Mancini needs to approach this as a chess match.

4. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Thank you so much!!! Appreciate it

Nabolidaboli repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #430 falvo, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So much pressure on England, you better bet that it's going to affect them mentally while for Italy it's business as usual. I was very nervous for Belgium and Spain but England not so much, i think they'll choke.

7. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    my hope is Scamacca gets more playing time in the next year and a half. I think he’s got the raw ability to be our next 9.

johnny6 repped this.
  8. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You have this guys. Otherwise England fans will be cocky as hell for years to come.

saj7866 and johnny6 repped this.
  9. foreverazurri

foreverazurri Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Immobile deserves some credits. You don't expect players like Vieri or Baggio to run and press the goal keeper and center backs intensely in such a high position as Immobile does. He does a lot of running for the team and creates spaces for Insigne and Chiesa. He missed a few good opportunities and made poor decisions, just like other forwards did. (Kane, Morata, Mbappe, Werner...). But he can score, and he is tactically important to the team. It's kind of unfair to compare players across teams over time. I would rather compare team over team. This team is similar to the 2006 team, you don't have superstars to begin a tournament, but you got good performance as a whole. Both teams are good examples of the Gestalt theory that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

nirvaanfc repped this.
  10. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, no superstars
    -ADP
    -Totti
    -Pirlo
    -Buffon
    -Cannavaro
    -Nesta
    -Inzaghi
    -Gattuso

Come on man...

scirea6, gumbacicc and Pietro Calcio repped this.
  11. foreverazurri

foreverazurri Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Lol. that's just another way to say no one is, isn't it?

12. FAB10

FAB10 New Member

Italy
    Jun 16, 2021
    Some of our players don't even seem fit enough to play a full 90'. I don't know why. It may have to do with the aggressive style of play, or with suboptimal training.

Whatever the reason, I think that this will be problem n.1 against England, closely followed by the huge home advantage that they will enjoy.

13. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

falvo repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow!

15. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I disagree with Florenzi at RB. Di Lorenzo has been very solid defensively and is one of the fastest players on the pitch. He will be on Sterling.

nirvaanfc and giallorosso86 repped this.
  16. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Cannavaro was an absolute monster that day. Still probably the greatest single individual performance I've ever seen from a central defender.

gumbacicc, Pietro Calcio and calabrese8 repped this.
  17. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes he was quality. What affected us was when frings got suspended for the semi final, as he and ballack were building a formidable partnership and we really didn't replace him for that match.

18. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    If I'm not mistaken, they claimed he also said f off to Paredes in that match. I think it was more of a PSG thing, as they were ill disciplined. Kuipers will usually let things flow, but he's not afraid to put his stamp on a match when he sees fit to do so.

19. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I like Kuipers. He actually reffed our last competitive game against England that we won 2-1 in 2014 World Cup!

20. Nabolidaboli

Nabolidaboli Member

Sep 7, 2018
    I’ll probably be out on Harlem Ave in Norridge. Plenty of a Italian families out there. Look for the guy in the Italia jacket. ;);)

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    . Padre Enrico Chiesa ha segnato a Euro 1996
    Son Frederico Chiesa ha segnato a Euro 2020
    Questo accade per la prima volta nella storia dell'Euro, succede solo in Italia [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Immobile has been shit, especially in the last couple of matches as the quality of opposition has gotten better. We all know he will work, but he lacks the quality to be effective as a #9 for a good side. He will play out of necessity Sunday, simply because we don't have better options and I'm not sure Mancini will want to deviate from the 4-3-3 to start.

I disagree with your assessment of the 2006 side. That team was loaded with world-class players. Buffon, Zambrotta, Nesta, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Pirlo, Totti, and Del Piero were as good as any player in their respective positions in the world at that time. This side is nowhere near as talented, but plays better, more fluid attacking football and there is a true sense of a team whose sum is greater than the individual parts, as you said. We have every chance of winning Sunday.

Tifoso repped this.
  23. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He's a freak

24. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007