Euro 2020 Official Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by calabrese8, May 28, 2021.

1. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ive always wondered how much more better this Italian team would be with a healthy Zaniolo

2. bachir

bachir Member

Jul 21, 2007
    2008 Euro Quarterfinals. Italy and Spain battled to a 0-0 draw. Spain advanced on PKs. I've always wondered what could have been. Pirlo missed the game, and he was crucial. This was Spain beginning the dynasty-like run. IMO Italy wins that game with Pirlo. Then they beat Russia in the Semi's, setting up a huge WC rematch with Germany. That would have been something.

calabrese8 repped this.
  3. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    IIRC Camoranesi was inches from scoring in ET during that game.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  4. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Gattuso also missed that game.

5. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He would play in the place of Barella most likely. Or as an attacking option in the place of Chiesa

6. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I posted about this game in the Spain match thread. A lot of people gave Donadoni shit in those two years, but that was the best game he managed.

7. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cannavaro also missed that game (and the tournament) with a training injury right before if I remember correctly.

8. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Who wouldn't want Zaniolo's talent on this team? I get it that he is viewed as a primadonna at times, but he's no Mario Balotelli. I think he would have fallen in line.

He would have played right wing or false 9. Let's just hope he's fully recovered and we have a healthy Zaniolo for the WC in Qatar.

calabrese8 repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

[​IMG]

nirvaanfc and Stamos repped this.
  10. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

You live in England but of Italian descent right ?

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #311 falvo, Jul 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    I never go by these stats.

The Olympic tournament is basically a youth competition and in 1992 Spain were the hosts.

Spain won the Euro in 1964 were runners-up in 1984 and then did nothing until their 4 year run from 2008-2012 where they won they won 2 Euro's and the WC...

They hadn't really won anything at the international level in 44 years.

12. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #312 r0adrunner, Jul 5, 2021
    Yes (I live in England), but no (I am not of Italian descent).

13. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The under 23 Olympic tournament is not counted by FIFA as a youth tournament, those are the under 17s and under 20s, although the whole format of FIFA youth football is being reviewed (we might have a single - under 18 or 19 - tournament every year).

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #314 falvo, Jul 5, 2021
    Though the 1992 Olympic competition was the first listed as strictly an Under 23 tournament with no over aged players.

Also , they didn’t win again until 2008. Means nothing in my book and Italy dominated WC and some euros from at least 1970-2012….

I don’t want to jinx it but they always owned Spain.

Even in the 2008 tournament they tied Spain 0-0 and only lost out on pk’s….

15. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Over the years I've seen you here quite often when it comes to Major International games or tournaments. Who are you a supporter of? I've seen you in here many times even when England is not at play. Are you an England supporter or Italy supporter in tournaments? Are you an ethnic Brit or someone who resides there with family that emigrated to England from elsewhere? Very curious as I've seen you in here for years now.

16. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not to take away anything from Spain's current caliber, but if we are being honest Spain was largely non-existent on the international scene for much of their history. If one goes and looks at the statistics of the International European Cup and the World Cup then it's quite easy to see.

That was always quite strange to me considering the strength of Spain's domestic League from the beginning . Especially during Franco Spain when Real Madrid won all of those Champion leagues titles in the 50s with very good players . Back then they were called Euro cups ( domestic that is ).

Italy has always had its ups and downs of course, but all things considered they never really disappeared from the international scene for much of their existence only failing to qualify in 58 and 2018 for the WC. They won the World Cup in 1934 and 1938 and didn't win it again until 1982 and the next time winning it in 2006. And during the periods they didn't win it they had some good teams that did well quite a few times . And the same can be said of the other top.nations . Brazil last won in 2002 , it is now 2021 , they are still the same threat.

Then you had former powerhouses that have totally faded like Hungary , Yugoslavia which is now Serbia as the inheritors, Czechoslovakia which now is the Czech Republic as the inheritors and even Austria at one point had a very strong team before the unification with Germany.

That's almost 100 years of football history where you can say there haven't been that many squads to always be a presence on the international front. France didnt achieve for much during their earlier history, except for the Euro in 1984 ( very good team in the 80s placing 4th at WC 82 and 3rd in 86 ) then finally winning a World Cup in 1998 at home ( after failing to qualify for WC 90 and 94 ) and adding a 2nd WC in 2018. That is very recent for all of their existence. Spain very similar in this regard with a Euro in 64 and then their stretch from 2008 to 2012 solidifying their presence as a big player on the international scene.

Only from here on out we shall see if they can maintain this calibre of being the consistent International threats much like the historical constant threats of Brazil , Germany , Italy , Argentina and perhaps a few others like Uruguay ( who have gone back and forth ) and the Netherlands ( placing 2nd in the WC 3 times and a Euro Cup title in 88 ) . Those two in particular have down quite well for such small nations considering everything else.

In time we will see if Spain and France can maintain that authority as the others have for such a long period . Or will they go the way of some former top calibre nations and fade away ( for a variety of reasons as the others have ) ?

Time will tell .

17. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i could be wrong but i believe he is a Roma fan. i don't get the same vibe you are getting. he seems Azzurri through and through.

18. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #318 Pietro Calcio, Jul 5, 2021
    Yes, to me it seemed that way too but to a point. He just said he lives in England but is not of Italian descent, so with that being said I've also noticed that he does defend England many times too over the years ( in here of all places ) while also questioning Italy's capabilities a little too often ( especially when it comes to playing England or comparing Italy and England in many a category like unbeatens streaks between the two I last remembered for instance ) ....doing so very very subtly . I've noticed this pattern over so many years that I just was curious whether he is a supporter of England , or Italy , or both for all we know since he seems very conflicted regarding his loyalties between the two ? I mean he just said he was not of Italian Heritage but residing in England. Soooooo? Which one is it Roadrunner ?

Sorry I just get sick of all the subtle trolls , strange accounts , new accounts and sock accounts in here who like to take their little passive aggressive pot shots by being less than totally forthcoming . By the way not calling you one Roadrunner ( not just yet ) but trying figure it out who you really support when you come in here to talk about the Italian National squad ???

19. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If you want to use history, After Spain's 2008 Euro trophy and before their 2010 WC victory, they lost to perennial whipping boy the USA in the Confederations Cup.

21. FAB10

FAB10 New Member

Italy
    Jun 16, 2021
    Should Emerson prove inadequate to fill Spinazzola's role, I really think Mancini should (and probably will) consider this:

Donnarumma
    Bonucci------Chiellini------Bastoni​
    Di Lorenzo
    Jorginho------Verratti​
    Barella​
    Chiesa--------------Immobile/Belotti----------Insigne

This is discussed much more eloquently than I ever could in this blog: https://pythagorasinboots.com/italy-vs-spain-euro-2020-tactical-analysis-preview/

Even if Italy does not start in that formation, it can be adopted later in the game with just one substitution (Bastoni in, Emerson out).

Stamos and totti fan repped this.
  22. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nice article, has the author had much to say in the past on the merits of Locatelli vs Verratti?

23. FAB10

FAB10 New Member

Italy
    Jun 16, 2021
    Yes it seems so:
    "The difference between Locatelli and Verratti is that Locatelli is comfortable playing riskier passes and playing in a more advanced position."
    More on this here:

If I remember correctly your opinion about Verratti, you will agree.

SF19 and totti fan repped this.
  24. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I read that article before, and he makes a good case for Bastoni. It really depends on how Mancini approaches this match tactically. Sometimes, you can't just plug a replacement like Emerson in, and expect the same approach. In the end, we have to trust that Mancini has this figured out. He has done an excellent job up to this point.

FAB10 repped this.
  25. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Like Ive always stated The Best thing to happen to Italy nthere Footy history was not qualifying for WC 2018 it humbled them and at the same time they were forced to re evaluate things ,

calabrese8 repped this.