Euro 2020: Italia - Svizzera

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by calabrese8, Jun 14, 2021.

1. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    We were dominant tonight. No way around it. I haven't seen an Italy move the ball around that well in a long time. I'm happy for Ciro that he scored that beauty, but he missed 3 very very good chances before that. Against a France or Spain, we can't afford that. Let's hope he gets those misses out of his system.

The media and a lot of fans are acting surprised at this Italy team. It's as if they have not watched the last 2 years and what Mancini has built. He has them firing on all cylinders. Everyone believes and every is playing for each other. Very selfless play out there.

Locatelli has been playing at elite levels for more than a year now. Juve are idiots because they should have locked him up earlier and now they will have to pay a massive price for him.

We have to take Wales seriously. There is a massive difference finishing first in Group A versus finishing second. I'm sure we will have some subs for the game but I hope they come up with fire.

FORZA AZZURRI!

2. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If we’re keeping track of VAR.

Used twice… and both decisions against us so far. A continuation of Serie A luck from CL.

So Chiellini deliberately uses his arm .. but the Turkish defender last game does not?!? VARfanculo

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know its early but Italy traditionally gets better as tournaments progress. Their defense is still the best and this team scores goals. So far, they look unbeatable but they haven't faced any strong team yet.

4. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    wooottttttttt

last time we conceeded a goal was 9 games ago. wooottttt keep it up!

Chielline goal didn't count, I was so happy see he score, he is my all time favorite defender.

totti fan repped this.
  5. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I believe we lost to France in the 2016 Euro.

I'm more impress with the 2016 France side than this 2020 France one. If this 2020 side is so stacking in tallents like how pundits claim then they should be trashing Germany, intead they won by an OG.

If we don't win, I root for Portugal, I'm a fan of CR7 so I want to see him win again.

totti fan repped this.
  6. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    We lost to Germany on penalties in Euro 2016. I think this France is slightly better than France in Euro 2016, but France 2018 World Cup was definitely the best. France didn't have Mbappe in 2016 and used Payet instead who was a player that had one amazing season but otherwise he's not that great.

Although France is without Matuidi, but if I had to pick, I'd rather have Mbappe up front and lose Matuidi when I already have Kante and Pogba there.

7. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Guys, I really want to know, how do you think Italy now compares to us back in 2016? 2016 Italy Under Conte was really good too. Do you think we're better now? What are your thoughts?

8. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Guys .....guys......guys!!!! Cmon !

.....guys ?

calabrese8, johnny6 and indestructible repped this.
  9. FAB10

FAB10 New Member

Italy
    Jun 16, 2021
    The defense was better then (mostly because they were younger). All the rest is a lot better now. Just remember: we had Parolo and Giaccherini in the midfield, Pelle and Eder as forwards. Very little creativity...

10. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Conte’s got some good results. But his style and methods belong in the dust bin of history

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  11. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    better overall team now but that team had a number of standout individuals that none of the current crop have ever reached the level of.

12. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    This 2020 team is way more talented than the 2016 team. It's not even close and the overall results over a period of 2 years show that. This team runs a 3 man midfield and dominates teams. That team played a 5 man midfield and relied on grit and tenacity to get results. Don't get me wrong...they squeezed everything they could out of their talent, but they did not have players with the quality feet and skill that this team has.

r0adrunner and Nabolidaboli repped this.
  13. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    As for the French team, they are very good. But like everyone else, they have their weaknesses. Kante is fantastic but Pogba is inconsistent as we all know. Any team with Rabiot in the midfield is going to suffer his heavy touches at times. Their defense can also be exposed on the counter.

Mancini has to be tactically smart against them but a team with a midfield as strong as ours can take the play to them. If we play them, they will press our midfielders hard and try to force turnovers and quick counters. Jorginho's lack of foot speed was exposed last time we played them. He's got to be more careful with the ball. Luckily Barella runs a million miles a game and he's an X factor that has completely changed the midfield.

I'm not scared of any team and neither should the Azzurri be with the talent and teamwork they have right now.

calabrese8 and The Verv repped this.
  14. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The team gets into a nice rhythm with their possession high up the pitch and it suffocates teams. The team know their roles and its a boss mentality on the pitch. Mancini is on point.
    Locatelli's ball to the wing was a thing of beauty on the first goal. Mix it up with direct play and no need for tipppy tappy that seems to be taking away from a good passing midfielders instincts in the modern game. See the ball and bang.

calabrese8, Pietro Calcio and The Verv repped this.
  15. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Congrats on your 2 wins.

Do you guys think Mancini will field a B-team for the next match, or go full A-team??

The Verv and Stamos repped this.
  16. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think Mancini will mix the bag. We're guaranteed KO rounds but we still need to win. I would start Verratti from minute 1 to get him into the tournament

I would do something like this

upload_2021-6-17_9-37-5.png

17. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thank you. Congrats on yours.
    Good question - I think it'll be a mix. Some guys need rest - Chiellini for one.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  18. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes also Spinazzola who is injury prone

Nabolidaboli and Stamos repped this.
  19. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If we both win our groups we'll see each other in the QF's ;)

Stamos and The Verv repped this.
  20. The Verv

The Verv Member

Aug 19, 2020
    This team moves the ball fast like many good Italian teams of the past, less in the middle of the pitch and more in the final third. That's how it's different than tic tac. Big difference is that it at least seeks a 2nd before shutting er down, but how many missed Toloi coming in for Berardi? Then Cristante for Barrela?

The commentators surely did, or at least the impact it had. If it were 20 years back moans of catennacio would be cried, even if it is a tactic that died 150 years ago. Similarly the tic tac is dead too. I wish they'd do us all a favor and stop reducing their observations to stereo types but unfortunately it works to get the tournament fan in the discussion.

While they continued to counter attack after the changes, the pace significantly slowed down and Switzerland effectively had nothing as space between lines were gone, and our end was clogged with bodies. You'll never remove that from Italian DNA nor should it be removed. It's a fantastic tactic when it is used appropriately.

21. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    What No, I don't think so.

22. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Good points guys. I agree, this team is better on paper and talented wise no question.

However as a team, I feel that Conte got the absolute best out of the players. In the games against Belgium and Spain we looked very dominant. However, I think this team has a lot more options and players we can work with. In 2016 I feel that many key starting players couldn't be replaced and our bench was very questionable especially with Conte's tactics.

23. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Last time we played France was only Mancini's second game in charge, and we were still a terrible team from the WC qualifying failure. That was way before we became a good team again. Also it was a friendly.

24. The Verv

The Verv Member

Aug 19, 2020
    Denmark played amazingly well today. If they had good finishing they would have won by 2 or 3. Pure energy.

La Magica repped this.
  25. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    no.. that will be Belgium most likely in the QFs ...

the chance at playing you would be if you finish 2nd in your group and we would play the round of 16

Brilliant Dutch repped this.