Euro 2020 Group F (France, Germany, Hungary, Portugal)

Discussion in 'Euro 2020 (2021)' started by nirvaanfc, Jun 6, 2021.

?

Who finishes top two from Group F?

Poll closed Jun 18, 2021.
  1. France

79.4%
  2. Germany

38.2%
  3. Hungary

8.8%
  4. Portugal

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Finally upon us, the Euros are here a year later than originally planned.

Please have a read of my preview of the subject group:
    https://footballfutbolcalciosoccer.blogspot.com/2021/06/euro-2020-preview-group-f-france.html

Did my game predictors and bracket. France and Portugal advance in 1st and 2nd spot, Germany gets in a top 4 3rd placed team.

Looking forward to discussion on all things Group F here.

Play UEFA Euro 2020 Fantasy Football - Join The League
    https://gaming.uefa.com/en/uefaeuro2020fantasyfootball/overview
    League Code: 50EFWFWU01

2. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Final Predictions:
    1. France
    2. Germany
    3. Portugal (advances)
    4. Hungary

In all honesty, I believe that France, Germany, and Portugal are the top 3 teams in the whole tournament and the ones to beat. However, France usually starts out pretty strong so I expect them to top it with Germany second. Portugal often starts out weaker and does just enough to advance, but then comes out a lot stronger in the knockouts. This has always been the history with Portugal in previous tournaments. Poor Hungary, they can surprise at times but I doubt they will be able to even get a point off arguably the top 3 teams. France, Germany, and Portugal will also likely all take points off each other.

xtomx repped this.
  3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Actually, I find that to be more true for Germany. That said, I agree with your prediction since Germany will have home advantage.

Even though the Big 3 will likely all advance there should be a fairly big reward for finishing first. Whoever finishes 2nd and 3rd will have to face a group winner in the R16, while the group F winner plays a third-place finisher.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  4. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    For sure. Really though true with Germany? Besides 2018 World Cup, Germany almost always topped their groups. Like remember Portugal Euro 2016?

5. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    True fair post however, since this group is sooo strong, whoever finishes 2nd or 3rd will not face anyone stronger than already in this group. lol. I see Portugal finishing in 3rd only because Portugal never seems to play well against Germany. France just too strong

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They top their group if its a fairly easy group, which this one isn't. And when the Euros only had 16 teams almost all groups were difficult and Germany rarely won their group.

Also for WC 2010 and 2014 I felt Germany got stronger as the tournament progressed.

7. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Definitely true yeah!

8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Home advantage in a 14 k filled Allianz Arena? lmao

9. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    It's finely balanced between France, Portugal and Germany. Their matches between them could end in draws. They probably need big wins over Hungary to jockey for places. A draw (or loss) against Hungary, however unlikely, could see them miss out on the last 16.

These games will probably come down to midfield battles. Kimmich and Kante are arguably the world's best central midfielders. Portugal is missing a player of that quality (Moutinho is too old), but Germany will be asking for trouble if they play too high. I feel they need to concede the midfield because their defense can't afford to be exposed against the likes of Cristiano and Mbappe.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That's still a home advantage. 14k cheering for you is better than 61k cheering against you (which France and Portugal need to contend with for their matches in Budapest).

Plus there is the travelling aspect versus playing all your games in the same place.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    France have crisscrossed Russia for winning the WC. All those players(France and Portugal) are pros playing 6-10 CL games each year on top of their local leagues. Germany's headquarters is 2h drive by bus away from Munich which is comparable to taking a flight from Paris to Munich. Seriously, travelling is a non-issue in Europe nowadays. And you expect an opera audience of 14k in opera audience famous Munich to make a difference? Nope, you're wrong.

12. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I say France beats Germany, Germany beats Portugal, and Portugal beats France. All of them beat Hungary (question is by how many goals).

13. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    If not for the issue regarding the home advantage, and the order in which the games are to be played, I would pick France and Portugal to top the group, but I believe it's highly likely that Hungary having the home advantage vs Portugal and France, will make an "upset" and that it will be a 1-1 draw vs. Portugal in the very first game of the group, and this upset will make it likely that only two teams will advance from the group, probably leaving Portugal stranded with 2 or 3 points.

Germany have the home advantage in all their 3 games, so I suspect they will probably secure a draw vs. France in their first game and then go on to beat or likewise secure a home draw vs. Portugal and then beat Hungary in their last home game.

France will have the advantage of facing both Hungary and Portugal in Budapest, so they can set up camp while Portugal will have to travel from Germany to Budapest to face France in their last game, so most likely a win to France or perhaps a draw. At the end of the day Portugal will probably end up with only 2 or 3 points in this group, with no win and a poor goal difference that will see them knocked out.

Cosmin10, Kamtedrejt and BocaFan repped this.
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, I mean I didn't research where all the teams are based. But still, the German players can sleep in the same place every night and build a routine. The other 2 giants in this group will be living out of hotels half the time and at their base camp the other half.

Not sure what France winning the WC in Russia has to do with any of this. o_O In that situation all 32 teams were in a similar situation, including Russia.

That said, good point by the poster above about Hungary maybe not being good enough to make home advantage count for anything. But if they were to grab a point of someone it most likely will be France or Portugal.

15. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Are we allowed to say that UEFA pots allocation was a total joke? Seriously Portugal in pot 3 despite having won the last 2 UEFA international competititons?

I don't know who come up with that idea to use the number of points won during qualifying games as the ranking system to determine pots, but it hardly makes sense. Basically that mean that teams which already had an easy path during qualifiers would "deserve" another easy path at Euro finals group stage.

Tom Collingsworth, SF19 and JoseEmidio repped this.
  16. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    1. France
    2. Germany
    3. Portugal
    4. Hungary

France will swipe through with 9 points. Germany will capitalise on home advantage and finish on 6 points. Portugal will struggle. I see them getting a late win over Hungary. Against the other two I see losses. Portugal have been underwheliming for quite a few games now. Their last very good performance over 90 minutes dates back to last October.
    I don't see them doing well against teams of similair caliber. Hungary without Szoboszlai unfortunately three losses but I think they will put on very spirited performances.

xtomx and Ceres repped this.
  17. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Those players are used to travelling and then having to perform. France didnt fail when having to travel between St. Petersburg and Sochi and you really make a point where the distance between Paris and Munich will make a difference or make the French somehow "weakened". It's ridiculous. There is no home advantage for Germany, in none of the games. If Germany somehow miraculously wins, this didnt happen "because" of home advantage, if France wins, this didnt happen "despite" Germany's alleged home advantage. It's a non-factor.

Munich is basically a neutral ground with a 14k opera audience that happens to lie on German soil. There would be absolutely no debating of this if Munich lie in England.
    [​IMG]

18. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Honest question: why does Germany play every single group stage game at home?

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    My point was that all 32 teams were in a similar position in WC 2018: criss-crossing the Russian landscape. Whereas in these Euros some teams are staying put for the whole group stage while others are moving back and forth between 2 or even 3 countries.

So all lower-league clubs with stadiums that have a capacity below 14k shouldn't even bother then. Their fans might as well not attend, or at least not bother making noise to cheer on their club.

Cosmin10 and xtomx repped this.
  20. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I predicted a group stage exit for Portugal. It might seem quite harsh on first sight. But I noticed that the team is lacking chemistry. Especially going forward. They look so disjointed at times. Perfect example was the first half against Spain in a friendly a couple of days ago. I feel Portugal can get a short win over Hungary thanks to their sheer individual class. Against Germany and France they can't afford to look so lost like they did against Spain. Germany and especially France are more potent sides in the final third. They won't squander their chances unlike Spain. If Portugal don't adress their issues they could get beaten handsomely by both. Hence why I don't have them coming out of the group. On paper this Portugal team have a great squad. It's just their display on the pitch haven't been in accordance to the talent they possess.
    It will be intetesting to see whether they can fix this just on time for the big clashes against Germany and France.

Ceres repped this.
  21. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No, but there is certainly not going to be a home advantage in Munich. Period. Even DFB admits that by avoiding to allocate games there. That Munich bid was actually meant to be lost but had to be done anyway in order to get 2024.

Greets from "Munich" btw

22. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Cancelo has Covid and is out of the Euros.
    Diogo Dalot is his replacement.
    Dalot is good Cancelo is better and more experienced.
    Good news for the opposition.

23. marush

marush Member

Aug 17, 2008
    France can only stop a dispute among themselves. Somehow France always stops a dispute among themselves. Giroud complains that he doesn't get enough balls. Mbappe feels addressed directly. There we have the argument again.
    If you look at the individual players, France is the best team.

Portugal also have very good individual players. Portugal is always very good at European Championships.

Germany is Germany. But after 2018 the nimbus is gone. Until 2018, Germany was on a wave of success. Became world champion. Won Confed Cup. The youth teams were successful. After 2018, Germany wasn't that successful. In the Nationleague actually relegated. Now lost 6-0 to Spain. Of course, when Germany becomes European champion, a lot of what has happened in the last 3 years is forgotten

24. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    What are you talking about? They'll be playing all their group games in one stadium and will not need to travel. In a city and stadium many of their players call home throughout the year. Would the advantage be bigger if the stadium was allowed full attendance? Yes, obviously but it doesn't take away from the fact that even without a full stadium, an advantage exists. Trying to argue otherwise is farcical Lol.

25. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany's base camp is at Adidas in Herzogenaurach, the travel time to Munich via bus is longer than flying in from Clairefontaine. Congrats, you embarrrassed yourself.