Euro 2020 (FINALE!!): Italia - Inghilterra

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by calabrese8, Jul 8, 2021.

1. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They didn't. It was Claudio Lottito who use dhis influence over then FIGC president Carlo Tavecchio to hire Ventura so he could cancel the contract with Ventura to coach Lazio in 2016/17 and freed him to appoint Simone Inzaghi instead.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow never knew that's what it was about.

Guess that is also why Ventura wouldn't quit until they fired him so he could get paid.

I don't blame him much for that though as I would have done the same thing to get an important final paycheck....

3. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Wow, I didn't know that! Makes sense! Although it's betraying the nation...

4. Ameijoas

Ameijoas Red Card

Angola
    Jul 13, 2021
    It took a bit of searching but here's a great explanation with nice cartoon characters. People who think catennacio is what England did, or what Italy played after the 70's should watch this and educate themselves so they don't fall prey to English pundit and broadcaster meme's and their, at least in the past, denigration of Italian successes by using terms like catennacio negatively.

He get's right into it between the 10s mark and 20s mark stating clearly that

"Perhaps no style so misunderstood. Nowadays there is a tendency to refer to Catenaccio for any defensive style of play. It's meaning is quite specific and arguably not quite so defensive!"

Watch the video:

Tactics 1982 to 1990. While saying it was still a form of catennacio, it had changed significantly by then and was effectively over after that.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  6. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Adriano Galliani broke the story after the WCQ playoff defeat to Sweden in 2017.

Inzaghi had originally been sent to Salernitana to coach them before Lotito changed his mind. The subsequent five seasons showed why it was a great switch for Lazio but a terrible one for gli Azzurri.

totti fan repped this.
  7. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    True. At the time I did not read about this. I don't live in Italy so I'm not always up to date with what is being said in the Italian press. I go by bouts; in major tournaments I log into the online versions of the Corriere dello Sport and the Gazzetta dello Sport but often if we lose / get eliminated I get disgusted and stop reading; this is probably how I missed this story.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Like Perugia’s Luciano Gaucci (RIP) , Claudio Lotito is also a very controversial character. I wouldn’t put anything past him.