Euro 2020 Final : Portugal vs ?

Discussion in 'Euro 2020 (2021)' started by Joe Martelo, Jul 12, 2020.

1. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I take it back. You are right. After seeing how unspectacular Spain were against Greece and considering how they only just managed a win over Georgia in the 90th plus minute, Spain have much to do still if they are to have any chance of winning the Euros this summer. They are far from assured favorites.

2. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    hey @roverman .. you've gone silent.

Are you one of those English homers that also thinks Kane > Lewandowski

Former Arsenal midfielder and Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson: "Robert Lewandowski won the award for the best player in the world last year. But he’s not as good as Harry Kane. He’s only ripped it up in Germany. Kane is doing it in the Premier League."

Merson: “And I can’t remember Lewandowski touching the ball at the last World Cup. But Kane won the Golden Boot.”

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I can't believe this guy gets paid to be a pundit.

unclesox and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  3. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Premier League/English bias at its finest. Lewandowski has been hands down the world's best striker. There's no debate. The reason why Lewandowski wasn't effective in the last World Cup is that the team around him did very poorly. No service whatsoever.

unclesox and calabrese8 repped this.
  4. Xylophone

Xylophone Member

Fiorentina
    Jan 30, 2018
    After the World Cup, I was skeptic about Portugal's central defense going forward, but Dias' season has shown that he is a worldclass CB. It will be tough to beat him and Pepe. It's also promising that Bruno Fernandes didn't have a difficult first PL season. Not just form-wise but also in terms of confidence. Same goes with André Silva, who has had his most prolific season ever.

Oh and a Cristiano Ronaldo who is out to prove something is always dangerous. The lost Scudetto and failed Champions League campaign just increased Cristiano's chances of having a fantastic tournament.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    When Lewa was playing for Dortmund he was scoring at a rate of roughly 0.7 goals per game. Similar to Kane's record with Spurs.

It's only when Lewa went to the best team in a 1-team league that his numbers went off the charts. He's probably better than Kane, but its not a blowout like you make it seem.

roverman repped this.
  6. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania

He is better. Leave out the probably. It's not a blowout as Kane is as well one of the best forwards but there can't be any doubts on who is the very best.

calabrese8 repped this.
  7. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Portugal for them I can see them repeating as European champions. I mean their team is that loaded but then again I still have to go with the Dutch or the world champions, 2018 FIFA World Cup champions France to win EURO 2021.

8. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    totally agree.. Lewandowski is clear of Kane.

Kane should be compared to Lukaku if we are going to make comparisons. I might even give Lukaku the nod over Kane since he's actually won a trophy and outscored him in the last two years.

9. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    As an Interista I'm amazed how Lukaku developed his game under Conte. Surely a top 5 forward right now. He is now a much more complete forward than before. His link up play got better and he creates spaces for others with his physical presence as target man. Lukaku is a great shout for the Golden Boot at the EUROs. Provided Belguim will reach at least the semi-finals which I think they will.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They got a nice draw. They could probably reach the semis without playing anyone tougher than Holland or Italy (key word being "or").

But a lot depends if Eden is called-up, imo. If he's there it'll be like Belgium is playing with 10 men.

11. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Hazard returned just from injury. He has still more than one month of time to find his agility, his spark. An in-form Hazard would be important for Belguim's prospects to win the tournament. I mean they'll miss almost surely Witsel. Not having Eden Hazard at top form would be a blow.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    More importantly, he need to find a treadmill. :coffee:

13. overheadkicks

overheadkicks Member

G.D. Chaves
    Portugal
    Feb 14, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Dude you crack me up, but there's got to be some truth to that. Nobody eats better than us.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  14. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This thread had been hilarious
    Thanks

So I think England team still to young and they some how anyway Botch it
    Spain and Netherlands not enough depth in team
    Belgium to old
    Portugal to cocky and might go out first round
    Germany not in Form but could turn it around .
    Italy or France to win it !!!

15. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    The Final

France v England

Winner

France

please close thread :)

BorisG repped this.
  16. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    It baffles me how England is tipped to reach the Final by a lot of tipsters.

calabrese8 and BorisG repped this.
  17. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Myself every tourney I believe England have a great chance but then they always seems to botch it .

England has one of the youngest teams and most in value according to dollars ,only France having a more valuable team and Germany if TerStegen would have been part of the team .

England some how don’t have that final mentality .

Also think they might be a bit to young this year to win it .

18. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There is a good chance of a repeat this year France vs Portugal Final

19. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    On paper of course a good shout. However I don't think that the same final will happen again. I think there are other nations out there that are desperate and keen to prove themselves on the big stage.

BorisG repped this.
  20. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #95 Kamtedrejt, May 22, 2021
    Last edited: May 22, 2021
    In Russia 2018 France - Croatia was my pick for the Final after the group stage had concluded. I forsee a similiair scenario at the EUROs. The Final might be contested again between one of the big favourites and a dark horse. Unless injury for key players happens I will probably stick to that team that I have in mind and make this time a big shout ahead of the tournament. This season was different than other's due to COVID. So will be the EUROs. Some players especially in the big teams might arrive very fatigued to the competition. This could give other teams the chance to shine.

BorisG repped this.
  21. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So what’s your call ?
    I guess it’s not England [emoji23]

22. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Let's keep the suspense for now. I will post scoreline predictions for each and every game on 10 June. There are quite a few teams where I'm not sure how they will do. I will try to watch their build up friendlies. Not saying that friendlies are a good measure to judge a team's level but at least there can be drawn some conclusions especially in high profile friendlies.

BorisG repped this.
  23. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I looked it up. There was NEVER a repeat of the Final from the last edition nether in the EUROs nor in the World Cup. I wouldn't necessarily bet on this to happen this time either. Especially not considering in which group France and Portugal are. The group of death and I see a good chance that it could turn out to be the death for one of these teams.

24. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well
    Argentina bs Germany was a repeat 1986- 1990 in consecutive world cups ..and there could be a chance that Portugal France and Germany could be three of the semi finalists this year ..

But looking forward to your predictions ...

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  25. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I say it will be Belgium vs England in the Final

BorisG repped this.