Euro 2020 Final : Portugal vs ?

Discussion in 'Euro 2020 (2021)' started by Joe Martelo, Jul 12, 2020.

1. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am probably going to have a heart attack watching Portugal play in this group.

I think it is hard to pick a clear cut favorite to win the Euro at the moment.

2. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Belgium is a bust, people keep overrating them because they get lots of ranking points smashing minnows in qualifying stages. What's their biggest achievement? Beating a weak Brazil 2-1 in a QF? Meh.

France are still clearly the team to beat. I'd say Portugal are a close second but I'm probably biased. :D

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That was no small feat. Brasil was in-form at the time. But agree that France is a notch above Belgium right now. I think Belgium is a bit past their peak, especially with Hazard's career going down the drain.

There is big lag in the FIFA rankings atm since they are mainly based on matches played over a year ago.

4. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    It's too early still, but the way Spain steamrolled Germany has to have other teams a little worried.

5. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I wouldn't read too much into that 6-0 result. It wasn't that Spain was so brilliant but rather Germany were so poor that day. As long as Spain can't string three four good games together I wouldn't call them favourites.

SF19 and unclesox repped this.
  6. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Germany didn't play so poorly to suggest any other country could have run away 6-0 winners. The fact is, Spain could easily have scored more and ran away by an even larger margin of victory. This wasn't like what happened to Brazil in their 7-1 loss to Germany at the World Cup. Germany didn't collapse, they were outplayed in every area of the pitch.

I didn't say Spain were necessarily favorites only because it's too soon to say so, but a lot of teams will be forced to rethink their approach to them. Trying to outplay Spain, like Germany tried to do in playing their usual game, may not be sensible option and that's something managers will need to think through carefully.

7. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Spain have to be dark horses but I'm still sticking by The Netherlands to win EURO 2021...they are my pick...The Dutch

8. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I don't think so. My personal contenders list to win EURO 2020 consists of France, Portugal, Belguim and Italy. Depending on the bracket I would be surprised if a team outside of the mentioned four would reach the Final. The Dutch were part of my list one year ago but with a new coach their chances dropped off significantly in my eyes.

9. AlphonsoDavies14

AlphonsoDavies14 New Member

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Mar 24, 2021
    My contenders are France, Spain, Germany and England. I definitely think these four teams have the best players in the world. It would be hard for one of these squads to not win it. As a personal pick, I would love the Dutch to win. They have a nice squad with good club players.

roverman repped this.
  10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Italy? I would say England have far better players than Italy

11. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    England Portugal France or Belgium. England probably have the best group of attackers in the world behind France. Plus great options at fullback. Centreback options aren't bad with John Stones maguire coady tomori and konsa. Midfield isn't great but Henderson is a very good player. Bellingham has great potential. Rice is playing well. Its the attacking quality of grealish foden kane sterling sancho rashford dcl saka maddison barnes that really stand out.

12. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i'll give you the attackers... but everywhere else on the pitch Italy is far superior to England.

13. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    No. England are far better at fullback as well. Centreback wise there's not much difference. Goalkeeper wise yes italy are better and central midfield italy have more quality but neither team is superior to each other in any area apart from England's attack

14. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL. you obviously haven't watched us play since Mancini has taken over. Since the start of 2019: 19 games played, 56 goals for (~3 goals/match), 6 goals against. 16 wins, 3 ties, 0 losses.

i'd like for you to explain how England's CBs and Mid are not far off from ours? it's not even close in my books. and if you use the word Maguire its an auto fail LOL.

i can't give you full backs anymore... your best fullback got left at home.. so the coach doesn't seem to rate him.

15. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    My view on this

Goalkeeper - Italy win
    Centerbacks - Italy win
    Fullbacks - England win
    Midfielders - Italy win
    Wings - England win
    Forward - England win

Team chemistry - Italy win

All in all. It's fair to say that Italy is at the moment the slightly better team. Fullbacks are nowadays more important than back then but compared to other positions especially midfield their impact on a game is very limited. Italy has the better midfield and the lack of quality in the attacking options is compensated by an excellent team chemistry. Italy dominates usually the proceedings in midfield with their short passing and excellent pressing game and creates each game at least a dozen of opportunities due to the movements of the wingers and some overlaps by the fullbacks. Italy is just the better team in middle of the park. They have a lot more creativity than England. If you would have watched Italy you would know that.

calabrese8 repped this.
  16. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Yet again after a strong performance Spain couldn't back up with an at least solid performance. Pretty poor showing against Greece. Spain can now do what they want in the remaining games ahead of the EUROs. One shouldn't call them favourites. They could nevertheless end up winning the tournament. That's a different story. But they would need to have a rather easy route to the final and if they would face a powerhouse they would need one of their good days.

17. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Remove England from this list and put Italy in and I agree with you.

18. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Everyone has its own opinion. I see France, Belguim, Portugal and Italy as the favourites. So I agree with only one of your choices. You speak of "best players in the world".
    Who are those best players for you in Spain, Germany and England?
    You should also not forget that team chemistry is something very important. It's not right to name favourites only based of names on a roster.

19. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Under De Boer they lost to Turkey and conceded four goals. You better put not too much money on that pick. The Dutch are below all other big nations in terms of squad quality. Chemistry wise they aren't good either with De Boer at the helm. Wrong ractics etc...
    Don't forget also that Van Dijk will be most likely not at the tournament.

20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Agree with some of that but they clearly don't have more creativity. They don't have a foden grealish maddison rashford sancho in their team. A player that can take a defender on. Or play a killer pass. Also England's defence isn't much worse. I mean one of our defenders, tomori , has even replaced an italy international in Milans defence and he can't even get in the England squad

21. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    you are right... heres a guy that can't take a defender on

heres a guy that cant play a killer pass and has 0 creativity

here's a guy that apparently isn't anywhere nearly as good as maddison or foden or any of those other scrubs u mentioned. Klinsman just today actually called him the best midfielder in europe right now.. i believe thats a bit of a stretch moreso a top 5..but he def would walk into englands squad over anyone.

and yes Tomori has been good for Milan. hes replaced Romagnoli (who by the way is a fringe international defender and would be behind Chiellini, Bastoni and Acerbi as LCB options and is injured at the moment..when hes healthy he will be back in the lineup.. perhaps starting with Tomori).

22. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    typical prem league arrogance. rates all of the players that he watches in the prem league and has no idea whats going on in the rest of europe LOL. not saying italy is going to win the euros... our cycle is just beginning and think a shot at 2022 world cup is more of a possibility with hopefully a healthy Zaniolo back by then and not too damaged from his two ACL injuries.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  23. AlphonsoDavies14

AlphonsoDavies14 New Member

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Mar 24, 2021
    Ramos, Koke, Nuer, Kroos, Muller, Kane, Vardy, Gundogan just off the top of my head. All these players have at least played 5 years with their respective country so just saying that these teams don't have players with chemistry is a bit of a stretch.

24. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Koke isn't world class you know. I mean he's no Iniesta or Xavi. Regarding Müller we'll have first to see if he's called up. As of now he's not part of the squad of Löw. Vardy will be only on the bench. Kane will be the only forward to start. You find such names that have been playing for years for their national side also in France, Portugal, Belguim and Italy. So, I don't understand exactly your point.
    At the end of the day I can only evaluate the teams as of now and by their recent performances. Maybe Germany or Spain will look much better at the EUROs. Chemistry is usually build ahead of a tournament when the players are all together two weeks in preparation. That's why we can better judge the teams after the group stage after we'll have saw them in action.

SF19 repped this.
  25. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    The current International break is changing my opinion on some teams. After all games are played I will come up with an update of my Power Rankings which I had posted here in another thread. There will be a few changes.