Euro 2020 draw

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Timanfaya, Oct 28, 2019.

1. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Kosovo playing in Bucharest is still possible. If Kosovo win path D, they play there, unless Romania wins path A.

2. petschovschi

petschovschi Member

May 7, 2018
    It's possible that winner of path D to be automatically in Group A (I don't know if Azerbaijan recognised Kosovo, but probably yes because they are muslim countries). The winner of path C will be paired in this case with Wales/Finland.

3. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UEFA have announced that the Path A winner goes to group F and the Path D winner goes to group C. Unless Romania win Path A, in which case the path D winner goes to group F.

4. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
  5. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
  6. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Biggest Scam designed to help England and Belgium live up to their undeserved hype.

Lets see Group F contains:

3 of the Last Euro's Semi-finalists

1 is the Current World Champion
    1 is the Current Euro and Nations League Champion
    1 is the second most current World Champ and Current Confederations Cup Champion

3 count them, 3 Current Champions....this makes sense only to England, Belgium and Netherlands who want no part of strong opposition and will have UEFA manipulate everything to help them live up to their undeserved hype.

7. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You do realise that if England won their group they will then face a team from the group of death, then probably Spain and then probably Netherlands if they were to reach the final?

Stop talking nonsense.

8. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  9. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    How on earth can a seeding system put the current world champions in Pot 2 and the current euro champions in Pot 3? I'm only asking since I can't see the logic about seeding teams if it's not to balance groups strengths.

No matter what, may the best team wins the trophy in the end. :)

10. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    It's good for France to get tested right from the start. I'm not worried for them. UEFA decided to base their pots solely on last qualfying results. That's why such a scenario was possible.

11. petschovschi

petschovschi Member

May 7, 2018
    Be sure that all Germany, France and Portugal will qualify. 3rd place in that group will have (at least) 4 points. I'm preety sure that fourth team in group F (Iceland/ Hungary/ Bulgaria/ Georgia/ Belarus/ North Macedonia/ Kosovo) will make 0 points.

Turkey in groups A means that games in Baku (big stadium) will have decent attendance (excepting Switzerland- Wales). Otherwise it would have been like in Bucharest, where the stadium won't be full. Games like Ukraine- Austria, Ukraine- Georgia or Austria- Georgia (I suppose that Romania won't qualify and Georgia will win the play-off) are not very tasty.

A stupid thing is a game in Bucharest at 4 pm (local hour) because it can be very hot. I remember a game in Bologna this summer, Romania u21- Germania u21 (SF in EURO U21) at 6 pm and ~ 40 °C. For me, as a spectator, it was terrible (I can imagine how was for the players). Even a game in Budapest at 3 pm can be problematic. UEFA should take care about these aspects.

12. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Relax, not everything is a conspiracy.
    Please ignore him, most of us(Portugal supporters) know he is a complete buffoon.

RobTheFool and BocaFan repped this.
  13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    You can’t get a cake draw in every Euros.

calabrese8 repped this.
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Probably Holland is the big winner. Fairly soft group with all 3 matches at home, and if they can finish top they would face a third place team. For the quarters, they would have to travel to Baku but would still not have to face a group winner. Also 6 days between their last group match and first KO match, and another 6 days after that until the quarterfinals, if they win their group.

15. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #40 Kamtedrejt, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Looking at the possible brackets I think England and Belguim will exit relatively early. Croatia won't do much either. Out of the World Cup 2018 semi-finalist I think only France will make it again to a semi-final. This will be the tournament to shine for other nations such as Italy and Netherlands. I expect a big comeback from both. Both will be in the semi-finals and one of them will reach the Final for my money.

16. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    If England can sort out there midfield they will go far. Not sure who will start in there midfield but that is definitely the weakest part of there team. If France are motivated they are the favorites for sure. Nobody can match there depth in midfield and attack. Defensively very good as well. France plays like there bored a lot of games though so will see which France shows up. Motivation is a big factor in these tournaments.

17. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Tell that to England

18. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Well they should win there group. They will be home and have the best team on paper on the group. There will be big pressure on England though so will see how the young players handle it. Our best chance to win euros was 2016 when we had our best team. Unfortunately Portugal has always been our bogey team along with France.i think at best Croatia could get to the quarterfinals finals this Euros.

calabrese8 and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  19. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm VERY keen to see how Bilbao treat Spain during their Group E 'home' fixtures.
    Because of government politics Bilbao (nor San Sebastián) has not hosted a Spain international since 1968.
    After Andres Iniesta scored the goal that brought Spain World Cup glory in 2010 he constantly received ovations at stadiums throughout the country (including the Bernabeu) every time he was subbed off during a match... except at San Mames where he was jeered off.
    Spain playing in Bilbao could actually hurt rather than help their quest for a fourth Euro title. Remains to be seen.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I must say, it was pretty easy to get tickets to these group stage matches in Bilbao.

But I imagine quite a number of Spaniards will travel to Bilbao from other parts of Spain, so I think it will still be an advantage for them. Just not as much as the other nations playing at home.

21. Interista Navzdy

Interista Navzdy New Member

Inter Bratislava
    Netherlands
    Mar 10, 2019
  22. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly, it is the path after the group stage that matters, especially when most of the 3rd place teams progress.

The qualifying draw and this draw have not been kind to England. Assuming they get to the knockout stage the only top class side they will have faced in a competitive match in two years will have been Croatia. There is an argument that Croatia will not be as good this time as they were two years ago as key players have aged. England will not be battle hardened.

It will also be interesting to see how host teams do moving from group games at home to knockout matches on their travels.

23. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    So you don't count the Nations League clashes as competitive fixtures? I could unterstand it for the group but the semi-finals vs. the Netherlands had pretty much the caracter of a competitive fixture. I don't know if Croatia got worse. I would say they are now less consistent but not worse. On their day they can still beat England and many top sides.

I think playing a part of games at home and some others at neutral venue will be somewhat akward. You will have to change the way you approach the games dependent on the venue and its circumstances. Out of the top teams France, Belguim and Portugal won't have home games. It will be interesting to see which teams will do better. I would personally rather play the whole tournament on neutral ground. It seems easier to handle in my eyes.

24. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're probably right that the Nations League Semi Final should be regarded as a competitive match. It will take time to get into the mindset of that being a serious competition but the semi-finals and the final were.

Croatia are still a very good team. It is my feeling that they are not as good as two years ago but I could be wrong.

The additional factor in moving from home to neutral venues is that it will be hard for travelling fans to get many tickets. England (and nations like Germany, the Netherlands, etc) are used to having a lot of travelling fans at European tournaments. The structure of this one might mean fewer of their supporters get into the neutral venues.

25. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Agreed with most of that but I think sterling kane rashford odoi and Sancho plus Abraham surpasses France's attack. England have the most potent attack in Europe right now