Euro 2016 - The Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by W.A.S.P., May 9, 2016.

1. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Belgium are easily beatable. It's strange how the two Italy scorers from yesterday wouldn't even get in our final 23 let alone our starting 11. And yet they're far more likely to go further than we are.

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    That's a sad but true comment. Especially with the talent we "could " put out on the pitch.

3. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    3 matches a day are tough to watch and get some work done. So, I've been going though at 2X speed. Kinda fun when you get used to it. The team movement and flight of the ball is more obvious. Then I always slow for the goal replays.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  4. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hungary has an opportunity to be the Greeks of the tournament. 1-0 up over 10 man Austria with 10 minutes left.

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Hope so, got them on the work sweep stake :thumbsup:

6. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    2-0. Quality counter-attack goal. They'll probably get through now.

7. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Equally, I doubt that any of our defenders would get into their side.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  8. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The three Juve centre-backs no, but I think we can do better than Ogbonna, Darmian and De Sciglio.

9. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Portugal had a very poor outing. Iceland nick a point off them.

10. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The Austria/Hungary match.

ESPN are scraping the bottom of the barrel for comms and it's pissing me off.

Like a lot of you guys I've kicked a ball since I could stand up. Played for a lot of teams in several countries. Been asked to a trial for Everton. Refereed, coached and studied the game.
    Now ESPN have some woman explaining to me what I'm watching on TV and won't shut up.

Women's soccer is a freeking novelty game. A good boys highschool team would beat a pro woman's team. Yet ESPN in their wisdom have her yammering away. Just in case we don't understand what they're doing on the pitch.

It's just insulting

11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    742837221158465540 is not a valid tweet id

:)

13. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd like to see with that mentality. It's good to feel like that.

14. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah I heard her comments. Not bad, but why does she have to be there? They also got Abby Wambach as a pundit. Seriously. She has no business being there. I feel sorry for the more qualified guy who is back home instead of her.

I can think of several boys teams in St. Louis alone that can defeat the USWNT.

I remember Hope Powell saying that the England women's team could beat the men because of their tecnical ability, I think. I've heard other girls say that they play the game better than the men because of that.

ESPN is run by some pretty Liberal people. They fired a baseball analyist who posted an anti transgender bathroom meme and haven't fired others for saying/doing worse offenses. The network used to be way better as a whole, but now is totally down from what it used to be in the 90's and early 2000's. I do like their soccer coverage better than Fox though. FS1 will probably send out all-American broadcasters out for next major tournaments when they'll have the rights. Prefer Englishmen calling the action with English/European co-commentators.

usscouse repped this.
  15. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We've seen all the teams now. What's your assment?

Best? - Spain

This was close, but Spain dominated the Czechs and got the goal late on. Should've been a better performance, maybe a Euro 2012 foreshadowing, but they tired out their opponent.

Germany and France were good, but they had trouble putting away two lesser sides in Ukraine and Romania.

Worst? - Albania

Goalkeeping error in the 5th minute was the difference, plus if Switzerland was more clinical than it could've easily been 4 or 5-0 and the stupid two yellows by their captain didn't help.

Luckiest? - Russia

Had a simple, but weak plan and came away with a draw. Faced many shots and saved all but one and all but one of those saves were right their keeper. Got a goal off of several defensive errors from England.

Wales have gotten what they prayed for, a win and the other teams drawing. Iceland held out for a draw against a fancied Portuguese side with just 36% possession.

Unluckiest? - England

Pretty much the opposite with Russia. Had one of the most dominating performances but come out with a draw and were punished by not being more clinical with a late equalizer.

Portugal and Ireland are close by. Portugal with 74% possession and a 1-1 draw, while Ireland drew 1-1 on an own goal while Sweden never got a shot on target.

Overrated? - Austria

A lot of people back in Austria have huge expectations and they looked like trash today with a 2-0 loss to Hungary who finished 3rd in the weakest group in qualifying. Also had a man sent off and couldn't get past the 40 year old keeper with sweats.

I'd put Belgium in, but at least they didn't make a total fool out of themselves and did lose to probably the best organized and one of the most spirited teams so far in Italy. They have work to do, but have time and will face lesser opposition.

Underrated? - Italy

Bravo! Never underestimate the Italians. Best defense so far and weren't afraid to attack.

usscouse repped this.
  16. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    I guess you cant really have wild celebrations over a draw...

17. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    "Only tried to defend"
    Guess he hasn't played Italy yet. :)
    Seriously, what did he expect?

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Could he BE more of a bell-end?

I mean, is it technically possible?

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sexist! :eek:

:giggle:

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Our group has got to have had the most idiotic tactical decisions of any group. First it was Hodgson's decisions closing the game. Then the Russian coach who has the slowest spine of a team in the tournament plays his full backs almost as wingers from the start. They were ahead of the Slovaks before the game and played right into their hands.

21. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They made it easier for Slovakia than for us.

22. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Albania not playing badly in this tournie.. Just that they are inept at finishing..

23. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Albania are giving France a game. I think they beat them in a friendly in recent times too.

24. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    France have been getting lucky with first Romania and now Albania missing geat chances against them.

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Only having the draw, they had to try and get a win. TBH if we'd played them second we'd probably have had the advantage of that :(