Euro 2016 Referee Assignments & Discussion

Discussion in 'Euro 2016: Refereeing' started by London_ref, Mar 1, 2016.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that they added two reserve tandems. The Greek one makes some sense, as Sidiropoulos might have been one of the last referees cut and potentially has a future for sure. Not sure where the Belarussian appointment comes from. Also, I sort of wonder what the need is for them and how much they'll be worked (something tells me either severely under- or severely overworked), but I guess we'll find out.

The AARs are interesting to examine. In some cases like with Skomina and Hategan, you get very experienced AARs from their country that are moving up or had already moved up the ranks (Jug and Tudor). With England you get two guys with bigger UEFA experiences--Taylor and Oliver.

But for Germany, Italy and Spain, you don't get any of the major officials that you'd recognize. So either the referees and UEFA went with comfort (quintet--or sextet now--that usually works together) OR there was a deliberate decision to not put any Elite referees in as AARs. If it's the latter situation, that's a change from 2012.

Looks like 9 AARs are returning to reprise their role from EURO 2012 (with Collum, Atkinson and Clattenburg being upgraded from AAR to Referee). Unless I'm mistaken, Kuipers crew is the only one that is completely in tact from 2012, with all five on-field officials being the same. Other returning referees all have at least one change to their crew it appears.

London_ref repped this.
  2. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    What exactly is the point of bringing in a reserve AR for each team? It just seems excessive.

I get that they are bringing an extra AR for each team in the event that one gets hurt and is out of the tournament, but that almost never happens. It just seems a little redundant.

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reserve ARs were named last time, too. They didn't actually attend the tournament to my knowledge. Unless stated otherwise somewhere, no reason to believe the AR3s will go to France.

4. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I find odd is that any competition that is using AARs should have the 4th official be AR track rather than referee. If the referee goes down, an AAR rather than the 4th can step in. If an AR goes down, you've got three extra referees that have no clue what to do with a flag.

I know for WC and some games like MLS Cup they have a reserve AR waiting in the wings in stadium, but I doubt that's the case for every competition currently using AARs.

AremRed repped this.
  5. aphelorah

aphelorah Member

Jun 9, 2010
    USA
    I would argue against this for a couple reasons. First, the assistant referees do not operate as 4th officials domestically or in any other international competition, so they'd be put into a position they're not well practiced in. Secondly, if the AAR becomes the referee, we may have a situation where one side has an AAR and the other does not, which is undesirable.

6. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wouldn't the AAR position be filled by whoever the fourth is?

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You actually raise an interesting point that I totally forgot about. When EURO 2012 occurred, 4ths in UEFA were CRs in all competitions. But since that time, UEFA changed policy and 4ths are from the AR track on all UEFA competitions except for the final of the UCL and UEL.

This policy changes does make the calculus a little more interesting. Perhaps the AR3s will go to France and serve as 4ths after all. But the inclusion of the Greek and Belarussian dedicated 4ths makes me think that is still unlikely. These are major matches in every sense of the word and UEFA will want an Elite referee (or just below, in the case of the Greek and Belarussian) ready to take over if injury occurs. You can't have an AR or a more junior CR (which most of the AARs are in most of the teams) take over.

Correct. But it was the case for the last EURO, I believe. My impression is there will be 7 officials for every match in France. It will be the quintets listed (so everyone but the AR3) and then a tandem from another country serving as 4th and Reserve AR. That's my guess, at least.

AremRed repped this.
  8. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    /note to self: when packing for Euros, don't forget to bring your ref kit, in case they appeal to the crowd for an Xth official. Be firm but flexible in negotiating your expenses, since even the organizers may not be sure which scale you belong on.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting bit of trivia is that three of the officials selected for EUROs are not FIFA referees. Strombergsson (SWE), Patak (CZE) and Simsek (TUR) are national officials in their respective countries. It's been UEFA policy that national-level officials can participate in UEFA-level matches (I believe only as AR2 or AAR2) but I think this will be the first time we see it at EUROs.

AremRed, GoDawgsGo and London_ref repped this.
  10. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Are those guys Referees or AR's?

11. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    So who are the front runners/favorites for the Final?

I would say something like this.

1. Cakir
    2. Eriksson
    3. Clattenburg
    4. Rizzoli
    5. Mszic

12. London_ref

London_ref Member

May 6, 2014
    London, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    No idea about the final...yet.

However, for the opener - my money is on Felix Brych.

13. London_ref

London_ref Member

May 6, 2014
    London, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    AARs

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My money is on Brych, too, for the opener.

Final is completely up in the air. The last 4 years (EURO 2012, WC14, UCL 2016) show that the powers that be are willing to toss the old rules out and that performance in a given tournament is going to be the #1 factor. UEFA seems very happy with Cakir and Clattenburg, so I'd say they start joint favorites. But England could actually do well in this tournament and I have a gut feeling that Cakir, who I personally think is great, is almost having too good of a run of solid matches and might be primed for a letdown. So I wouldn't dismiss Eriksson as a real alternative. As I write this, however, I realize both Clattenburg's and Erkisson's ARs have had issues over the past few months and one big missed offside could doom a team. So who knows?

The one name I'd hold out as a darkhorse is Velasco Carballo. He's retiring, Collina and UEFA have shown a willingness to use him in big games when possible, and Spain might not be as strong as they have been in the past. Outside the Brazil-Chile match at WC14, he's been really solid. He could be the guy the Final surprisingly falls to but, again, I think we're at the point where anything is possible. Of the 18 referees going, I could make a case for or see a scenario where 10 different ones could be tapped for the Final.

15. London_ref

London_ref Member

May 6, 2014
    London, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I agree re Velasco.

Whoever gets the opener, the committee must be hoping they fare better than Velasco Carballo did in 2012. He had absolute 'mare - Collina was the assessor as well!

16. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    By the way whoever referees the final will likely be based on who gets there right?

Doesn't UEFA have a rule that the referee cannot be from one of the countries playing? I am not sure, but I assume that because I have never seen it happen before, and it makes sense.

I have a feeling it will be Bjorn Kuipers for the final though. I hope Rizzoli gets the opening match!

17. London_ref

London_ref Member

May 6, 2014
    London, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Correct.

18. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    When are we expecting the appointment? Can't be long now!

I know nothing, but I'll break the Brych trend and go with Eriksson.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Viktor Kassai will whistle the opener.

greek ref and London_ref repped this.
  20. greek ref

greek ref Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Velasco Carballo for ALB-SUI
    Moen for WAL-SVK and
    Rizzoli for ENG-RUS

London_ref repped this.
  21. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    I can't wait. Easy to forget during the slog of the season that come the Euro, you've got top referees going every day for weeks.

22. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    Germany - Ukraine: Martin Atkinson (ENG)
    Turkey - Croatia: Jonas Eriksson (SWE)
    Poland - Northern Ireland: Ovidiu Hategan (ROU)

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Belgium v Italy is the next big one to be assigned, and maybe the biggest of Matchday 1. Clattenburg, Cakir or Kuipers?

24. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My money is on Mazic. Maybe Brych or Kuipers though as well.