Euro 2016 Qualifiers + Int'l Friendlies - Sept. 3-9, 2014 - US TV info

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by socceraction, Sep 3, 2014.

1. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    (All times US Eastern)

EURO 2016 QUALIFIERS - MATCHDAY #1

Sunday, September 7th:
    ESPN:
    12:00pm Denmark v Armenia (ESPN Deportes & ESPN3)
    12:00pm Georgia v Rep. Ireland (ESPN3)
    2:45pm Portugal v Albania (ESPN2 & ESPN Deportes)
    2:45pm Greece v Romania (ESPN3 / ESPN Deportes on Monday, 4:45pm)
    2:45pm Faroe Islands v Finland (ESPN3)

FOX:
    12:00pm Hungary v No. Ireland (FoxSports-2 + Fox Deportes)
    2:45pm Germany v Scotland (FoxSports-1 + Fox Deportes)
    2:45pm Gibraltar v Poland (FoxSoccer-Plus)

Monday, September 8th:
    ESPN:
    2:45pm Spain v Macedonia (ESPN Deportes & Espn3)
    2:45pm Austria v Sweden (ESPN3/ ESPN Deportes on Tuesday, 4:45pm)
    2:45pm Estonia v Slovenia (ESPN3)
    2:45pm Montenegro v Moldova (ESPN3)

FOX:
    12:00pm Russia v Liechtenstein (FoxSports-1)
    2:45pm Switzerland v England (FoxSports-1)
    2:45pm Ukraine v Slovakia (FoxSports-2)
    2:45pm Luxembourg v Belarus (FoxSoccer-Plus)

Tuesday, September 9th:
    ESPN:
    12:00pm Azerbaijan v Bulgaria (ESPN Deportes & Espn3)
    2:45pm Czech Rep. v Netherlands (ESPN2 & ESPN Deportes)
    2:45pm Croatia v Malta (ESPN3 / ESPN Deportes on Wednesday at 4:00am)
    2:45pm Iceland v Turkey (ESPN3)

FOX:
    12:00pm Kazakhstan v Latvia (FoxSports-1)
    2:45pm Norway v Italy (FoxSports-1)
    2:45pm Andorra v Wales (FoxSports-2)
    2:45pm Bosnia-Herzegovina v Cyprus (FoxSoccer-Plus)

Televised International Friendlies:

Wednesday, September 3rd:
    2:15pm Czech Rep. v USA (NBCSN, UniMas & Univision Deportes)
    2:45pm Germany v Argentina (ESPNews & ESPN Deportes)
    3:00pm England v Norway (FoxSports-2 & Fox Deportes)

Thursday, September 4th:
    3:00pm France v Spain (ESPN Deportes & ESPN3)

Friday, September 5th:
    6:20am Japan v Uruguay (ESPN Deportes + ESPN3)
    9:00pm Brazil v Colombia (in Miami) (beINSports-1 & ñ)

Saturday, September 6th:
    10:00pm Mexico v Chile (in Santa Clara) (UniMas, Univision Deportes & ESPN3)

Sunday, September 7th:
    2:45pm Serbia v France (FoxSports-2)

Tuesday, September 9th:
    6:20am Japan v Venezuela (ESPN3)
    8:30pm Brazil v Ecuador (in NY) (beINSports-1 & ñ)
    10:00pm Mexico v Bolivia (in Colorado) (ESPN2, UniMas & Univision Deportes)

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

holden, TJNash, tsun23 and 2 others repped this.
  2. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Does anyone know rationale for so few time slots for european qualifiers? It looks like 12 and 2:45 on saturday/sunday and 2:45 on weekdays unless Russia or any other far eastern country is involved, in which case it is also 12 start. I was expecting soccer all day on weekend and more different start times on weekdays. It looks like they are going backwards.

3. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    All qualifiers are now at 1800 and 2045 CET. The rounds are now referred to as "matchdays". Does it sound familiar?

UEFA are emulating their winning Champions League formula. When I first heard this announced I thought "this sucks". As you stated, gone is the all-day coverage due to staggered kickoffs. The truth is, there were so many kickoff times overlapping with each other, we got stuck with more delayed broadcasts than live games. On top of that, each Association sold its own rights so games were all over the place. Looking at the schedule for this first Matchday, I have to say that I think we will all get use to this very quickly. Having two broadcast channels with multiple outlets each kinda works. I'm use to having 3-4 TVs on at the same time but I think that for those who DVR matches, it will be OK as long as they cover the damn ticker and avoid the halftime/fulltime shows. Also, a quick glance at the future schedule, there are very few big matches going head-to-head with each other. Seems like every day there is a big match to watch live and a bunch of "ok" matches to DVR that hopefully won't get spoiled.

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

4. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wednesday, September 3 - Czech Republic vs United States - 2:15 pm ET - NBCSN.
    Match Commentators - Arlo White/Jim Beglin. Studio Commentators - Russ Thaler/Robbie Mustoe.

Wednesday, September 3 - Germany vs Argentina - 2:45 pm ET - ESPN News/ESPN Deportes.
    Match Commentators - Adrian Healey/Alejandro Moreno (English) - Ricardo Ortiz/Mario Kempes (Spanish).

Sunday, September 7 - Portugal vs Albania - 2:45 pm ET - ESPN2/ESPN Deportes.
    Match Commentators - Derek Rae/Alejandro Moreno (English) - Richardo Ortiz/Mario Kempes (Spanish)?

djpower and Makandal repped this.
  5. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Puzzled that ESPN chose not to put this game on any english TV channel. OK it's not the Germany-Argentina headline grabbing game that they're showing today but still other than the US Open they only have regular programming in that time slot tomorrow

6. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Epic. Pics of the setup? I've been toying with the idea of 2.

7. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    No matter how many pictures I have taken during games, the always come out crappy because of the lighting. Here is a picture I just snapped without the TVs on to give you an idea:

[​IMG]

This is a 101" projection screen flanked by two 42" flatscreens. I have my desk with 2 computer monitors to the left so I can actually run 5 games at once but in reality, I usually limit myself to the 3 pictured.

The 3 screens above are hooked up to the whole-house system as 3 separate outlets so I can put any source (satellite1, satellite2, DVD, computer) to any TV independent of the others. I also hooked up the recently purchased Roku-3 to the back of the "left" TV into the HDMI-2 input (HDMI-1 being for the main system). A typical Champions League game this season will be my first choice game on the projector screen (satellite receiver #1/audio thru house system); left screen ESPN3 game via Roku3 (audio thru TV directly); right screen 2nd choice game (satellite receiver #2/ audio usually off - 2 games of audio is great. 3 is annoying). One programmed remote controls everything (Roku has its own remote).

For those toying with the idea of 2 or 3 Tv's I strongly encourage it. You may think its too hard to enjoy the games but you'll be surprised how quickly you adjust (and then can't live without it). If you have DirecTV, for example, you can go with 1 HD/DVR + 1 HD (no DVR). I know there is the Genie and I may upgrade myself one day but I think having the receiver and the small unit next to each other would really complicate things when using the remote (I actually used electrical tape to cover one of my receiver's remote sensor so it can only be changed via the home system). Just use the HDMI output from each receiver to its own TV. That way each TV has its own dedicated receiver. Also, make sure one of the TVs has 2 HDMI inputs so you can hook up a Roku3 as a second input and (if you have access to ESPN3 via your internet provider) you get incredible HD quality for all the stuff on ESPN3. Of course, you can also hook up your computer directly to the TV for those beINSport matches on their streaming service.

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

Gonzo, Totoro, beInSchwartz and 3 others repped this.
  8. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Jesus, I have seen heaven.

9. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 LaxBandit, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    [​IMG] ESPN Fan Central @ESPN_FanCentral -
    Programming Update - International Soccer Friendly - Germany vs. Argentina - will start at 2:38 PM ET on ESPNEWS. (LaxBandit - Not sure if thats when the TV coverage will start or if thats when kick-off happens.)

There will be a special LIVE edition of ESPN FC on ESPN News after coverage of the Germany vs Argentina match ends. It will end at 5:00 pm ET. Then an hour later - the daily half-hour edition of ESPN FC will be shown - 6:00 pm ET-6:30 pm ET - also on ESPN News.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Disagree. They are going forward, not backward. I think you are misremembering how it was before. For the last WC qualifiers 90% of matches fell on a weeknight (either Friday or Tuesday night), with only a couple of games on Saturday. That meant if you lived in the U.S. and worked a 9-5 job you saw basically nothing live.

Now the games will be spread out over 3 days (including one weekend day). That means for int'l breaks with two matchdays, we'll get 6 consecutive days of int'l football (Thursday - Tuesday) compared to just Friday and Tuesday before.

11. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    [​IMG]

Same angle . Projector screen is electric and rolls up
    into ceiling unit. TV's "folded" to the sides.

There is one piece of very important "equipment" I forgot to mention - a very understanding wife (or girlfriend - or both) ;)

SA

12. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You each get one TV right? with you getting the center one? :thumbsup:

socceraction repped this.
  13. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    ESPNews isn't showing it where I am. Oh well...

15. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15 LaxBandit, Sep 3, 2014
    Wait a few more minutes - it will be on. ESPN change their schedule - I posted the update in a previous post here. Turned out to be that ESPN decided to start their coverage of the Germany vs Argentina match on ESPN News at 2:38 pm ET and not 2:30 pm ET. Kick-off should take place around 2:50 pm ET.

BocaFan repped this.
  16. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    [​IMG]

Final picture. In action....

SA

PS. Those 42" screens look so small.....

bigtw64 repped this.
  17. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't in my onscreen guide (on either directv or comcast -- I have both), but it is on. The onscreen guide said sportscenter.

18. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 LaxBandit, Sep 3, 2014
    Canadian TV Schedule - Euro 2016 Qualifiers - Sportsnet - Sunday, September 7.

Sunday, September 7 -
    12:00 pm ET - 2:00 pm ET - LIVE - Georgia vs Republic Of Ireland - Sportsnet One.
    12:00 pm ET - 2:00 pm ET - LIVE - Hungary vs Northern Island - Sportsnet World.
    2:30 pm ET - 5:00 pm ET - LIVE - Portugal vs Albania - Sportsnet World.
    2:30 pm ET - 5:00 pm ET - LIVE - Germany vs Scotland - Sportsnet 360.

5:00 pm ET - 7:00 pm ET - TAPE DELAY - Greece vs Romania - Sportsnet World.
    9:00 pm ET - 10:00 pm ET - TAPED - Euro 2016 Match Day Recap Show - Sportsnet World.
    11:00 pm ET - 12:00 am ET - TAPED - Euro 2016 Match Day Recap Show - Sportsnet East - Ontario - West. (Pacific is showing - European Poker Tour-PokerStars Caribbean Adventure - in that time slot.)

LaxBandit - The schedule on the Sportsnet website curently only goes through Sunday, September 7. I'll post the matches that Sportsnet will be televising on Monday, September 8 and Tuesday, September 9 sometime on Friday.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Is anyone showing Italy v Netherlands? I see on my channel guide RAI shows "calcio" at 15h00 ET but doesn't specify what match.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Right, saw it. Posted too early I guess.

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    They currently have quite a bit of live event afternoon programming.

22. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    It is on RAI but no other channels....

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

BocaFan repped this.
  23. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Univision Deportes buy the Spanish rights last year to Italy home friendlies? I remember seeing Italy-Argentina. Did that expire already? Or am I misremembering? Criminal that this match is only on RAI.

24. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Your recollections of Univision Deportes are all correct. I don't know what is happening to the rights of friendlies. Perhaps there isn't much interest from the rights buyers in these friendlies since the meaningful matches (qualifiers) can no longer be bundled with them due to UEFA centralizing the process (and making themselves extremely rich in the process).

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

25. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Just noticed on my guide that ESPN Classic will be showing some of the matches (on delay) that are only available on espn3 starting with Georgia v Ireland on Monday @ 8pm ET. Not in HD but thought I would throw it out there for those who may want to catch some of these games....

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

bigtw64 repped this.