Euro 2016 Qualification Thread.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey all, seriously do you think Netherlands or Italy is superior? I know we made it to Euro 2016, but we had an easier group, and in some of our games we didn't even look that convincing. Does anyone know which team is better?

Honestly I have no idea which level Italy is. Sometimes we look like the best in the world, and sometimes we look terrible.

Actually seeing all the teams, I have no clue on the best team now. Germany hasn't even looked very convincing since the world cup.

2. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The thing is 90% of what makes a national football team is stylistic. You might say they are not of a discernible difference in talent (which could be argued) but then you say that the only difference is in their skillset and positional strength. Those are two very important factors when putting a team together. Complementary players to different systems possess different styles in terms of how they play, and most NTs do not have star-studded line-ups from top to bottom but the most successful teams have players that complement eachother well and are well coached.

Not only do we have a horrible coach and team structure, but a lot of the player selections have not been complementary to eachother and it causes very flat play that is easy to set up against.

Chess_Panther repped this.
  3. KGOranje

KGOranje Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sigh.

4. I really think it necesary to make a point in Memphis'direction by not selecting him and replace him with JPBoëtius. I know some here donot think much of him, but they are wrong. JPB is far better than Memphis.

5. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He's not currently better but I think he has a higher end potential only because he is a smarter player (and two footed)...but even he is disappointing right now and not worthy of a call-up. He needs to get physically stronger and mentally stronger, but the potential is definitely there.

6. KGOranje

KGOranje Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't remember who mentioned Morten Olsen as a theoretical manager option, but I gotta say that the longer I though about it, I realized how awsome of an option he could be. Probably my #2 choice after Koeman.

7. Surisoccer

Surisoccer Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Rotterdam
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Surinam
    It's obviously not nice that the Netherlands did not make it (geen feest,geen toeters en geen blijdschap) and i'm very shocked like everybody here and many have their opinion on the poor results of the Dutch NT.It reminds me how the Brazilians have felt when Neymar and co have failed terribly during the World Cup of 2014.Lessons should be learned from this and the KNVB should now properly analyze what needs to be done for the future.One thing is for sure, continue in this way is not desirable and is also not good for Dutch football, perhaps the entire organization of the KNVB should be reviewed to make certain things differently.It's sad man,i hate this!

8. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    NL will step up and make the necessary changes to come back even stronger..

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I mentioned him first several days ago. Even though he has Dutch ties with the vilified Ajax, he is tied too closely with the Danish NT and likely would not want to come over if offered. However, if Denmark fails in the qualification round he might resign and then be open to such a move.

I just saw a great article by Simon Kuper over on ESPNFC. Well worth reading!!!

10. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I hope that the KNVB gets cleaned up.
    I also believe that the KNVB is not doing the proper scouting of players that play abroad in countries that aren't in the top 4

Also the tactics have been appaling. Danny Blind as a CDM playing the destroyer role was pathetic your gonna tell me there isn't one CDM that is Dutch that possess more Physicality than that?!!! LB going with players like Reidewald when more experienced players are available.

I also think that the general backbiting and media takedown of players not named Robben and Sneijder is appalling. Bruno Martins Indi has been playing as a starter for Porto and has been excellent in the Liga and the Champions League made a foolish decision and got sent off which in all honesty was harsh linked to Chelsea and Machester United and City but somehow not good enough for the NT

Coaches with too much pride to talk to and try to bring back Dirk Kuyt.

Not calling up Ziyech but caking up El Ghazi in pure desperation who has 7 goals on the season but is very raw still

Jaanmat, Luuk de Jong, Promes, Boetious, Zeegelaar who has 3 consecutive TOTW, Propper, Kishna, Locadia the list goes on

And all those posters saying that holland can't produce world class

Guess what you don't need world class to beat Turkey, Czechs and Iceland

11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Like I said, you guys need a German coach. Nationality should not play a role in this - just quality in coaching. And the put-out of German "concept coaches" offers enough possible candidates. Why not someone like Klopp, Tuchel or Breitenreiter?

12. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    They are all financially a bit out of reach at the moment I think. I wouldn't mind Roger Schmidt either.

13. This is what the Basel coach says:

Ein begeisterter Coach

Seit sechs Wochen ist Boëtius jetzt beim FCB. Er wohnt mit seiner Freundin und Hund «Koda» etwas ausserhalb der Stadt. Trainer Urs Fischer sagt: «Er ist mittlerweile angekommen.» Er ist voll des Lobes, wenn er Boëtius beschreibt. «Ich denke, er ist einer dieser Typen, von denen man ständig sagt, dass sie aussterben. Einer, der noch ein Dribbling wagt. Einer, der unheimliche Dynamik entwickeln kann und die Gegner verwirrt.»

Fischer gerät jetzt in Fahrt, «wer darf denn heute noch dribbeln?», fragt er. Seine Worte wirken wie ein Plädoyer an Junioren-Trainer, in den Trainings nicht immer alles gleich zu unterbinden. «Sonst geht einem irgendwann eine gewisse Frische verloren. Heute ist ja alles durchstrategiert.»

Durchstrategiert – welch wunderbare Wortkreation!

Jean-Paul Boëtius soll ein Gegengift dazu sein. Jetzt ist die Frage nur noch, wann er die Dose dazu öffnet. Vielleicht schon heute gegen YB?

What is telling is what the coach says about youth coaches killing dribblers like JPB!!

14. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I wish I knew more about the state of youth formation in Netherlands to comment on it with a knowledgeable mind. I honestly think when lacking money to invest then taking the Portugal route in the past few years is the best possible one. But more than young talents I think the downfall of Netherlands have more to do with a bad selection of coaches (and respective tactics) than anything else. I think you are right to consider this inexcusable considering some of the great old talents from the midfield up. However, now that a few will be gone, I think it's the right time to build from the back with a strict selection of players so that they can gel as fast as possible. If a humble approach is taken then I'm pretty sure things will be on the right path to Russia.

15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Really? I mean this seems to be a genuine problem throughout the system then. I cant believe there is not enough money in the Netherlands. If sponsoring the youth level, the coach education level, the NT coach salary is the problem then you need to get the economy into the boat like your ice skaters did. If they can do it then then why not footballers in a football crazy country?

Btw I looked up the Hennes-Weißweiler graduates since 2005 and I found two possible Dutch, but German-trained solution for ya:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How do you guys feel about someone like Andre VilasBoas he wants out of Russia

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    A total failure in England. While he was good at Porto, his lack of success elsewhere is troubling.

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  19. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    We've pretty much had a lost decade in terms of economic growth. Austerity doesn't allow for much frivolous spending, both in the public and private sector. Skating is a niche sport, a small investment in comparison to football goes a long way to compete at a global top level.

I don't think any coach will drop a top Bundesliga or EPL side for a national team job opening.

20. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I like his views on football, fairly good tactician and he is an innovator with an academic background, but I feel he is more suited for club football as his ideas need time to be implemented and developed.

I haven't been as impressed with him on transfers. I think he would do very well with a team like PSV who are good on the transfer market so he can focus on the football side of things.

21. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    He saw past the results of 2010 and 2014 and noticed the decline, I'll give him that. But I don't really agree with him that the source of our problems is an over commitment to attacking football.

22. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    #2897 bunbohue, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    I read and like this Simon Kuper's article as well. There is an open letter by Gabriele Marcoti (http://www.espnfc.us/blog/espn-fc-u...ds-an-open-letter-after-dutch-fail-to-qualify).

23. nurvin

nurvin Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Are you serious? If yes I think you are too much confinated in your own country and can't see football with an international view. So open your eyes, there isn't just Portugal !

24. KGOranje

KGOranje Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Actually he is supposed to leave the Danish team for good in the summer, regardless of the result in the Euros. He'll be 67 but he's not talking about retiremant yet.
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/17/denmark-morten-olsen-euro-2016

25. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    get Lars Largerback