Euro 2016 Qualification Games: Netherlands vs Iceland & Turkey

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Aug 30, 2015.

?

How many points will we end up with after these 2 games?

1. 6 points and both opponents never had a chance.

29.2%
  2. 4 points. We will slip either at home or away.

29.2%
  3. 3 points. Can see us beat one opponent, but also lose to the other.

16.7%
  4. 2 points. Why winning when you can draw?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 1 point. Winter is coming.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 0 points. With this coach, with these players and the state we are in, we must expect the worst.

25.0%
  1. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Beating Iceland home with Robben, Sneijder and Depay on the pitch sounds obvious for me. There will be goals for sure.

I worry more about the away game in Turkey, and I have the feeling Sneijder/Robben/Depay will be injured for that game.

2. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep. This is what I've been saying. In terms of chemistry I've always found the NT to look better without RVP who wants to be 'the guy' on the team but he doesn't work well with our best creator (Sneijder) nor our best direct threat (Robben).

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing what Promes could do given a bit of a bigger role for the NT, or trying out Luuk de Jong (which I know people are really against, but he's played very well since moving to PSV). Huntelaar and RVP are both getting older and I think by the time the Euro rolls around we might want to have another striker in place that is familiar with the set up and is getting some confidence.

3. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Perhaps only a bit Ajax biased?:) If Blind is Ajax biased, he would pick and start Veltman over BMI, starting both Tete and Riedewald over VDW and De Vrij. Instead, on defense he goes with more experienced. In midfield one could argue that he is a bit biased there with current and former Ajax players as I think Wijnaldum's current form should be enough for him to earn the starting spot. Up front is definitely form/fitness over experiences. I'd prefer Dost over L D Jong as the 3rd striker for these 2 games but my read is that if Huntelaar does not perform well, you may see RVP coming in the last 20 minutes or so. I just hope my favourite team end with "lands" rather than "land" coming out victorious today!

4. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Completely forgot about Dost. He's not a bad shout either, and he's been in good form in the Bundesliga. Again, not a great technical player but knows how to score and is a big presence in the box.

5. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax Biased? Probably a little. But Klaassen has also had some really good games for the NT. And Wijnaldum plays more as a SS than a midfielder for Newcastle, and that probably doesn't fit with how Blind wants to set up the team

6. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think you need to pay a little more attention to who was making the space for Sneijder's shots or Robben's runs inside the 16.. Take a look at what Van Persie is doing inside the 16. He is very clever inside the box, I'd say RVP is very much a team player. And I never got the feeling that he wanted to be the star of the team, even when he was the captain and the best player in the team, he didn't present himself any differently.

Keep an eye on this for the next game: RVP is always double marked. That comes with his notoriety, which he utilises to make space for others. He is always keeping two players busy. With Hunter you don't have that.

7. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm fine with Huntelaar getting a starter once again, but I don't have a lot of faith in him. so far when he starts for the NT he has been pretty shit.. As a starter he seems to lacks the focus and the poison that he has as a sub.

It's Robben and Depay who have to make things happen in front, but I'll be happy if Hunter proved me wrong.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    For those of us in the US, tomorrow's match is on the schedule for ESPN 3 so you can stream it to whatever device you fancy.

9. Keko

Keko Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I think I owe you an apology. I was a little bit edgy this morning.

Cheers!.

gabriel_guilarte and TFC Ajax repped this.
  10. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't even really like stats, but if this wasn't obvious enough.. Ziyech and Propper really should have been selected.

A comparison between some of our midfield options:
    [​IMG]

11. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ziyech and Propper definitely should have been called up, but I think Klaassen is a bit more of a defensive player (even though he's being used more advanced this year) I added Afellay and Sneijder to the comparison to show just how good Propper and Ziyech have been (Afellay is such a waste on the team and I have no idea how he earned this call-up):

[​IMG]

A little harsh on Afellay perhaps having just joined Stoke, but it's what is available. They should have called up all of Ziyech, Sneijder, Wijnaldum and Propper really, especially when you look that they play with three midfielders, and only called up 4 (since they're using Blind at LB). Also, taking a look at the less creative midfielders I think maybe it's a bit of and oversight on De Jong not to have him there (I know Clasie is injured):

[​IMG]

I think for the Netherlands right now, with Strootman a non-factor moving forward I would like to see a midfield three of:

(6) Klaassen/Clasie
    (8) Propper/Wijnaldum - (10) Sneijder/Ziyech

or

(8) Propper/Wijnaldum - (6) Klaassen/Clasie
    (10) Sneijder/Ziyech​

I think it's a good combination of everything. With Propper/Wijnaldum providing a strong 'box to box' presence with my preference for Propper since he is a better passer and Sneijder/Ziyech already like to get forward more. Meanwhile Klaassen and Clasie both in a controller role bring tenacity and running, but also an eye for an incisive pass to go with their defense and energy. Finally Sneijder/Ziyech are pretty self-explanatory.

Also here is some great news: http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/sto...sie-with-robben-as-netherlands-captain-082815

I would be ok with Robben or Sneijder as captain, but I'm glad they took it away from RVP.

thatkid repped this.
  12. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    You can find plenty NEC or ADO players with good stats, does it mean they're NT material ? You can compare players stats when they play in the same league, at the same level, at the same club...

Ziyech played against Zwolle, Ado and Heracles this season, Afellay played against Liverpool and Tottenham...

13. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think you will get 4 points, but I think you will draw Iceland and beat Turkey.

Robben will score against Iceland with his pace 2 minutes before half time. Sigurdsson will equalize around the 80th minute with a hat trick. Final Result: 1-1

Against Turkey, Sneijder will make a huge assist for Depay to tap in in the 25th minute. Then Robben will double the lead in the 55th minute with his pace getting behind the defense. In the 77th minute Robben will get fouled resulting in a penalty which Huntelaar will convert. Final Result: 0-3.

14. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Very detailed predictions. Why did you fill in 3 points in the poll then though?

15. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How is this possible? A hat trick is 3 goals...

16. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I mean a free kick, or some kind of skill

17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh sorry, I will change it to 4 pts. It was an accident. I guess I can't change it. Pretend I voted for 4 pts.

18. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Blind really shaking things up:
    Cillessen
    VdW - De Vrij - BMI - Blind
    Wijnaldum - Klaassen
    Sneijder
    Robben (C) - Huntelaar - Depay ​
    Midfield and back line hardly inspire confidence. Lets hope they can just get the ball to Robben

19. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And also that Robben is at his best, because if he is tired, he will fail against the organized icelandic defense.

20. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    I wonder if Holland can be able to keep possession with this very attacking midfield, it will probably be an attack/defence game, I predict a win.

21. gabriel_guilarte

Aug 16, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I wonder if we can manage to hold Iceland with this midfield

22. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Opstelling Oranje

Cillessen; Van der Wiel, De Vrij, Martins Indi, Blind; Wijnaldum, Klaassen, Sneijder; Robben, Huntelaar, Memphis

Opstelling IJsland

Saevarsson, Sigurdsson, Árnason, Skúlason; Bjarnason, Sigurdsson, Bödvarsson, Gunnarsson; Gudmundsson, Sigthorsson

23. KGOranje

KGOranje Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #Heart_Attack.

That was close.

24. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm ok with this line-up actually, from what we have called up right now. Hopefully they perform.

25. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Oranje looking tentative and flat early on.

Players should be fined 100 Euros every time they pass the ball back