Euro 2016 other teams thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by johnny6, Jun 10, 2016.

1. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This has always been the question in sports.

Do you want surprising teams to win occasionally or do you want to see the best team win the most?

You see it in all sports. European football title winners are based on who has the most points at the end of the year. You can pretty much say 99% of the time that was the best team in the league.

American sports have playoffs......anytime you have a knockout competition or a best of 5 or best of 7, upsets will happen. The best team won't always win.

So what happened here is UEFA wanted more teams. They wanted smaller teams involved. That messed the format up and created an extremely unbalanced bracket (tho you had certain teams that were supposed to win their group and didn't which also contributed). Once that happened, there was an even greater possibility of this happening. Portugal was cruising through their side while Italy was knocking off Spain and Germany was knocking off Italy and France was knocking off Germany.

Let's be honest it was always going to be Portugal or Belgium coming from that side and once they hit the finals......well anything can happen in a one game match.

I think everyone understood the rules coming into this tournament. All the teams knew the rules. That doesn't mean anyone has to agree with them tho.

Rosay, Pietro Calcio and Deleted User x repped this.
  2. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And they cause they played teams that won their group doesn't mean those teams were as good as some of the others that didn't.

Again we are talking about a small sample.......a 3 game stretch.

Hungry= bottom of Pot 3
    Iceland = Pot 4
    Wales = Pot 4
    Poland = Pot 3
    Croatia = Pot 2

I mean the coefficients are far from perfect but there's a reason these teams were seeded so low coming into this.

Rosay repped this.
  3. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Everyone knew the rules but until you actually implement a new system, you never know how it will turn out. You can bet UEFA will tweak the bracket system in 4 years.

Rosay repped this.
  4. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thing is you can't really do anything about how the group shakes out. If Spain wins their group they are on the other side of that bracket. If England wins their group, they are on the other side of the bracket.

I guess you could do one of two things

1) If UEFA insists on having this many teams in the tournament, that's fine but don't have a round of 16. I think it messed up alot of the group stage games knowing that you could finish 3rd and still have a 4 in 6 shot of making it. I think teams had little incentive to win. Start with a quarterfinal. The group winners and two second place teams. There's no reason a 3rd place group stage team should go through. This would help somewhat balance the knockout stage too. It was ridiculous you had two group winners having to play runner ups while the other teams got to play against 3rd place teams. If you went straight to eight teams, yeah two group winners would still player runner ups while the other teams had to play group winners.......I still think that's much better than what happened. I think the gap between 6 group winners and two second place teams is alot smaller than the gap between the runner ups and 3rd place teams in this competition.

2) You could re-seed for the knockout phase I guess. Base it on coefficients coming into the thing. This would ensure that the good teams meet later on in the competition.

5. InsigneForBalonD'or

Jul 16, 2014
    The 6ix
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    England sucks though that wouldn't have made a difference. Spain's good they're just not what they were a few years ago

6. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #206 forza_azzurri, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    ...............Or give the group winners a bye in the round of 16th. Some incentive to go for it.

In hindsight Italy was qualified after the Belgium game. We could of put on our B team for the final two games and save the yellows. Then have an easier path to the final.

7. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    If you are doing 24 teams, you have to reseed after the group stage. The best group winners (on points and GD) should have gotten the third placed teams. That would mean even teams that qualified after 2 games would play hard in the 3rd game in order to try to get an easier opponent (you would think).

Rosay, meazza, Pietro Calcio and 2 others repped this.
  8. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    True but they are much better than the majority of teams that went to that side still.

9. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    How did FIFA deal with the problem of 24 teams?

10. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    IMO if UEFA want more teams then they should just go to 32. It will at least make the group stages less of a horror show. 16 teams is the best amount, but we all know that will never happen. Thus, just go 32 and make the group stages mean something at least.

Portugal benefitted from teams like England and Spain coming in second, and Belgium choking. Its really not their fault that they faced "weaker" teams. In the end, they faced the home team, who was probably the second best on paper, and shut them down in the final (without their best player). They deserve the Euro 100%. Nothing needs to be changed in that respect.

Where Uefa really needs to take a long hard look at things, is the amount of time off for teams. France looked gassed throughout the game. It just seems that late in these Cups, squads are simply not fresh enough to compete at their best. Thus we get ragged games that look listless, with players sucking wind after 20 minutes. Portugal also looked less than 100% yesterday. After a long domestic season, these players need more time to recuperate. Its crazy that the final occurred a few days after the semis. You are always asking for subpar games in these circumstances. These tournaments need to be extended by a couple of weeks. Modern soccer has become more demanding and busier domestically to continue cramming in all these games in a month. It just leads to shitty games in the latter stages.

meazza repped this.
  11. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was much more complicated but fair.
    The teams advancing were put into other groups and then they played each other.

12. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i agree with reseeding.. even if not by best group winners .. i know they're not perfect but why not reseed based of country rankins.. thats how they come up with the gruop stages why cant those be used for knockout seedings too

13. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The top performers in group stages should get the 3rd place teams so there's incentive to not have throw away games.

14. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Why do they make fun of him?

15. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Does anyone else think those fouls on Ronaldo were intended to injure? Especially the second one where Payet hits his planted leg. I wouldn't put it past the French.

16. PhuckHead

PhuckHead Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I remember when we played them in a friendly, the Portuguese posters were saying how badly he sucked. He had something like 2 goals in 25 games then. He actually scored on us and ruined our seeding for the WC Qualifiers.

17. turco3

turco3 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    This Euro followed the same format as World Cup 86-94.

18. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The 82 WC in Spain was the first with 24 teams. Only the top 2 in each group advanced and the 12 teams were placed in 4 groups of 3. The winner of each group advanced to the semifinals. Italia (Group 1 runner-up) ended up with Brasil (Group 6 winner) and Argentina (Group 3 runner-up). Some groups had two group winners included.

The next three WC's (86/90/94) had the knockouts like this tournament.

19. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I was excited to see Portugal win. First off never liked France so seeing them lose the final at home was always going to be enjoyable. Portugal have made it 4 out of the last 5 Euro Semifinals (arguably their best team was 2008 when they didn't make it), they were due. Not to mention they owe it to France after narrow losses in 1984, 2000 and 2006.

Santos is a very good manager and got it spot on. Stay in the match, don't make mistakes and eventually France will press. I don't know how they nullified Pogba so easily, he was non existent. Pepe was immense again, probably Portugal's best player in the tournament.

We can talk about Portugal's road, but they still beat a good Croatia side and decent Polish side as well and now the favourites at home, while conceding only once off an error from their RB in the KO rounds. While everyone is ripping on them for the group stage they thoroughly dominated Iceland and Austria and really should have won both matches easily. If they had to I am sure they would have scored a 4th to beat Hungary as well.

Congrats to Portugal.

---Z---, forza_azzurri and NewLaw83 repped this.
  20. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    It's unfortunate we couldn't get by Germany seeing the French look inept vs a well organized side.

21. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    By convincing Deschamps that Pogba is Kante and having the Juve play as a CDM distributor. He completed the most passes, 100 out of 105, of all players in the match... yet most were lateral or in non-threatening areas.

22. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I kept thinking Pogba was making the marauding runs forward but it was always Sissoko who was France's best player in the final. He did seem abnormally close to the defense, Deschamps must be getting ripped to pieces in France.

You have to blame Lloris some for Eder's goal. Decent strike but he really should make that save.

23. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yes. I remember. From 86-94 How did they determine who got the 3rd place teams? Was that in advance of the tournament or after the first round results?

24. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think if we played like this, we'd get crucified in the media, though Portugal is taking a lot of heat themselves.

25. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think a healthy German team wins this tournament easily.