EURO 2016 in la France thread

Discussion in 'France: National Teams' started by lefutur, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Rami, Evra, and Giroud shouldn't be part of anyone's dream starting eleven. They should be in the starting XI in THEIR dreams from now on.

And I'm not saying Giroud had a bad euro. He was pretty good against the small teams. But pretty good doesn't win you titles and it certainly shouldn't be good enough when you have better options at home.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    wtf? I think the whole back 4 plus sissoko were excellent and pogba and matuidi better than just decent. griezemann was understandably tired after playing for two in the semifinal. no, the only two who really sucked were the same two who sucked against germany and they both play in lunnon.

Marius Tresor and Pandore repped this.
  3. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    My thoughts are that France used up everything against Germany..and not just physically. After that match, the media and the fff acted as though france already won the trophy. Portugal became an afterthought to everyone, including a number of the players. Not a good mindset going up against a team that had nothing to lose.

4. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Those of us who are anti-Deschamps (at least here) have been consistent about it. I criticized him even after the Germany game. ;)

CoDave repped this.
  5. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Pogba was useless. And the team looked good for the first 10 mins minus Griezmann. Had he been playing up to par they would have almost certainly scored. And yes, I already said that Sissoko was the best outfield player on the pitch which begs the question, what the hell was everyone else doing?

6. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    You get the Euro supporters trophy. Congrats. Its much easier to predict failure if you define failure as going all the way to the final and losing.

7. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    while blanc is a good coach his team selection is bad.. have u guys forgotten 2012 disaster when teammates started fighting against each other and the team collapsed in the QT. at least our players fight tooth and nail in this team. at least DD handles personalities very well compared to blanc.

the midfield needs fixing imo, players who can win balls and hassle the opponent, we were forced to defend against german on our side because our midfield couldn't handle their attack. strikers and our attacking is another area that needs work , giroud is good/OK but gignac needs to go. gamerio who has played in a a couple of finals in EL and spain could have helped, benzema, gamerio and giroud imo would be good ( Nabil ferkir will see how good he turns out). Hatem ben arfa should have been called up to, martial and coman should have stayed on the bench. those two looked nervous going up front, this team needed experienced players in tournaments.

what i like about DD is the stability and unity he brings to the team, 2008-2012 was painful to watch the NT.

Marius Tresor and lefutur repped this.
  8. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, I lose either way. If we had won, you would have laughed in my face, just like you expected me to fall in line after the Germany game. And if we lose, which we did, you get to act the way you are right now.

There's no glory in correctly predicting failure. And I'm not going to sugar coat things. The minute I saw that god-awful list, I knew it wasn't good enough. That's not my fault. And actually, I didn't even predict failure because I knew that teams can, and have, gotten lucky or been carried through due to individual brilliance. I just predicted that Deschamps' choices would blow up in his face. I don't see why I should apologize for being right?

Losing the way we did yesterday, at home, against Portugal was a failure (and that's NOT an insult to Portugal). Plain and simple.

9. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I was joking about Blanc. After the 3-5-2 against City, you couldn't pay me to look at his emotionless face again. :D

DD does bring stability, I'll give him that. We have been stable in being underwhelming and choking.

ONE thing I'll give Deschamps, just because I do believe in giving credit when credit is due, is that he was right about Sissoko.

10. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Ok. I and probably most other people here thought you were serious about Blanc. You've wanted DD gone forever. Who do you want in his place....besides yourself? ;)

11. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Griezmann shouldnt be expected to carry the team all of the time. Hard to put any blame on him.

guignol and Pandore repped this.
  12. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Haha, sorry, anyone who spends time in the PSG forum would know I was joking. But yeah, sorry if I scared anyone, Blanc is definitely not the man for us. :laugh: Not that I think he is worse than Deschamps, but I don't think he is good enough either.

As for your question, I'll have to think about it and get back to you. Do you mean in terms of coaches who are available or can I suggest even ones who are currently engaged somewhere?

13. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    How about a little of column A, a little from column B.

14. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It was rough for me seeing him so sad. I've been disillusioned for the past decade, but he was so excited and so hopeful.

At least he won a few individual trophies, which he deserved 100%. What a classy player.

15. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    As a newcastle supporter, sissoko is a f××cking enigma. He NEVER performed anywhere near that level for them. Even two performances like that last season and they could have been saved from relegation. Love/hate that guy. Lol.

Marius Tresor and lefutur repped this.
  16. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    @Pandore I'd also like you to rank past France coaches and where DD ranks in there. I already that Guignol is a madman and rates Domenech.

17. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The future is bright for France. It was bright before the tournament and even more so now. The young players will learn a lot from these emotions. They will be hungrier and smarter about taking teams/situations for granted.

18. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, I'm in my 20s, so I'd only be ranking the past few ones.

1. Lemerre
    2. Santini
    3. Blanc
    4. Deschamps
    5. Domenech

19. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Maybe I'm just numb with the NT, but I feel like this is what we hear after our disappointing exits in every tournament.

But your attitude is the better one to have. :)

20. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    nah , for 2008-2012 . it was not the case . we were a laughing stock when we exited the tournaments, 2008 fighting( nasri refusing to give up his sit to senior players), 2010 mutiny, 2012 fighting .... it was a mess, no confidence at all in the coaches and players.

under DD we have become respectable again , it was sad to see NT like ours exit in group stages all the time. France ( a WC winner and 2x euro winner) exiting in group stages was shameful and embarrassing. DD may never be win under france but at least we reach KO stages and that counts for alot . i would rather lose in a final to portugal than group stage to the likes of south Africa or exit with 1 POINT in euro 2008..

DD brings pride

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    and jacquet? total fail.

santini was the best save saint aimé. platoche was a fairly poor selectionneur, but still a shade better than lemerre. and all these better than the '98 crew. when you see how swole up those heads got one wonders if winning that WC wasn't a bad thing for french football. not just lolo and didi, the whole bunch. they bear as much responsability for knysa as domenech or the players imo.

22. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    I agree with this and the importance of it cannot be understated. These guys are all professionals and should be able to figure out a lot of stuff on their own during games, as their predecessors did. The team selection has been fine, for the most part, in my opinion, with the most obvious exception of Benzema (which was a federation decision, as I understand it).

23. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I was less than 10 when we won the WC, so I can't make any judgements on the coach. All I can judge is the result.

24. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Just because we're not a laughing stock doesn't mean we should be proud of Deschamps' exit.

It's not one extreme or the other.

(And people ARE laughing at us for choking against a Cristiano-less Portugal, for bringing the likes of Gignac and Evra)

25. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    How can the team selection be fine when it was literally proven that Umtiti, the 167th man on Deschamps' list, was better than any of our other CBs in recent years?