Pre-match: (EURO 2016 - Group Stage) Germany vs N. Ireland 06.21.2016 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Lahmfan, Jun 18, 2016.

?

Who is going to win it all?

1. Germany

6.3%
  2. Deutschland

62.5%
  3. Alemania

31.3%
  1. EmersonRW

EmersonRW Member

May 3, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    We will see. A completely uninspired, toothless match against Poland after the warning signs were there against Ukraine (a team who were the first to be eliminated from the tournament) doesn't bode well when Germany come up against teams like Spain, Italy, or France who can't simply be brushed aside by Germany having more quality players to make up for Löw 's kindergarten tactics.

Scoring 1 goal from open play in 180 minutes from a deep midfield Schweinsteiger run against less talented opposition and saying no changes needed is a bit counterintuitive.

This isn't the World Cup, where Germany have far and away the most talented squad.

Conte, del Bosque, and Deschamps are no slouch of coaches either.

Minttunator repped this.
  2. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And those opponents aren't going to play with two banks of four in the box. We need to have a solid defense to defeat the likes of Spain and France.

Löw has sacrificed a bit of offensive output to play more cautious and stop us leaking tons of goals. Wholesale changes aren't needed. Move Müller to striker and either drop Götze or Draxler for a third midfielder or straight swap one for Schurrle.

Another important aspect to consider is game states. Schurrle and Sane are counter attack players. They may not be as effective as starters.

This is what I would do:

------------------Neuer------------------
    Höwedes--Boateng---Hummels---Hector
    -----------------Kimmich/Weigl-------------------
    ------------Khedira----Kroos--------------------
    Götze-----------Müller----------------Özil

Minttunator and MatthausSammer repped this.
  3. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Playing a six behind Kroos/Khedira would allow Khedira to get forward and make those late runs into the box that make him so dangerous.

4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If there's one change I'd want Loew to make, its switching the formation ton 4-3-3 and putting Kimmich/Weigl at 6.

EmersonRW and nekkibasara repped this.
  5. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Löw is actually a fairly conservative coach. I think he will play a 4-3-3 in the knockout round as soon as we face a big gun. I think he's banking on Schweinsteiger getting fit for the quarter finals.

6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope so. I really hope so.

dips82 repped this.
  7. EmersonRW

EmersonRW Member

May 3, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I would be all in favor of putting a #6 behind Kroos and Khedira.

I don't know if Löw would play Özil on the wing. He kept him in the middle even when we had no winger on the right at all in the last minutes of the Poland match. I wouldn't mind Özil out wide.

Not sure why you insist on keeping Götze when your knock against Shürrle and Sané is that they are counter attacking, as Götze is the very definition of a counter attacking player. Just compare Götze under Klopp vs. Götze under Guardiola.

8. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think Götze is a counter attack player. He has great close control and is more of a combination player. He excels in one touch passing.

He didn't work under Guardiola because Pep's system at Bayern relied on creating 1v1 options on the wings, and in that type of system you need players like Robbery or Costa/Coman.

Sane and Schurrle are weaker in close control but have explosive speed which is why they are abetter counter players. They can use their pace in the large spaces available, but struggle against deep lying defenses.

9. EmersonRW

EmersonRW Member

May 3, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Götze and Özil on the wings is a very slow combination, especially with Höwedes behind Götze.

That's asking for another goalless match.

Özil on the left could be ok with Hector overlapping, but you'd need a fast, technical dribbler on the right.

There is a reason the good coaches like to have wingers who can win 1v1, because you need your wingers to create goal scoring opportunities, not simply retain possession.

If Götze isn't playing at the #10 there's no reason to start him, and Germany have Özil for that position. Götze is a good super sub, but he's shown nothing in 180 minutes + friendly matches to warrant starting any more matches at this tournament.

10. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Against top teams we aren't going to play with a number ten.

11. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If I had a yank accent, I wouldn't even tell people I speak German.

12. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thats interesting considering not even Arnie can get rid of the rahrahrah sound

13. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  14. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  16. EmersonRW

EmersonRW Member

May 3, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  17. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not a fan of Gomez starting. Might as well play with 10 men.

wallstreet123456 repped this.
  18. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just worked through the kicker predictor on remaining games... We could play Austria in the second round!!!

19. BMGuy

BMGuy Member

Bayern Munich
    Sep 6, 2004
    vietnam
    This is the worst team in recent years, Loew picked a very unbalanced squad, no pace, no skill, no striker, no wing attack. I've never seen such a team could get through to QF.

Didn't he blind not see how Mueller's improved his game at the new position in the middle ? That way helps him to contribute more to the team build up play.

Why so stubborn with Howedes and podolski case is beyond what we can explain ?

Dhajj repped this.
  20. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ive seen an article where it is exactly stated that Germany is no Spain who have added the fullback wing play to their game. No dribbling is also intended. They said Löw wants to pass the ball through the middle.

21. EuroTicketMan

EuroTicketMan New Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Club:
    Fußballclub Wacker Innsbruck
    I have 4 tickets to the last 16 game in Lille on Sunday that will most likely be for Germany vs 3A/B/F. Please email me on cavferris@hotmail.com if interested.
    Thanks

22. BMGuy

BMGuy Member

Bayern Munich
    Sep 6, 2004
    vietnam
    THOMAS SCHNEIDER ON...
    ... possibly reaching the last 16 without having played: That would be nice, but we have our own objectives. We want to win the match and qualify as group winners.

... possible importance of today’s matches on the line-up: They will have no influence on our line-up. We will need every player throughout this tournament so it might be the case that one or two changes are made.

... thoughts about a new role for Thomas Müller: We are thinking about a lot of things, and we have thought about this, too. We’ll see tomorrow where he plays. => hope hope:rolleyes:

... opponents Northern Ireland: We have a lot of respect for the opposition. They played well in qualification and actually won their group. They have also played well here and convincing beat Ukraine.

... the chances of an appearance for Leroy Sané: Leroy has trained well as ever. He is doing a good job just like the other players. Perhaps his chance will come at some point during the tournament.

... the discussion of leaders: It has been noted by the team but it is a pointless discussion. We have enough players in the team who have shown their leadership qualities in the past.

http://www.dfb.de/en/news/detail/schneider-qualify-as-group-winners-148586/p/2/

Minttunator repped this.
  23. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They've had terrible friendlies (meaningless) and terrible QF (means something) the last 2 years.

I figured they would role into tournament mode somehow but it just looks like their stuck in whatever gear they were.

We are lacking more leaders, true striker, fullbacks and pace on the wings.

We look so slow, lethargic and complacent out there. We seem to lack any kind of passion or hunger.

Our only saving grace has been Neuer and our CBs so far.

I hope to god they can figure it out and crank it up a few gears.

24. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh boy... about to unsubscribe from those threads ... so many pussies around here...

25. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What did you expect from bandwagon Dhajj? Off to the stadium I go