Euro 2016 - Everyone but us.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by JC-14, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    England has been banned for fan violence, and UEFA will allow Holland to take England's place

bunbohue and Orange14 repped this.
  2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^ England supporters are causing more trouble and there is no excuse for this.

3. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    In the 60s when Russia won the Euro, the core of the team was Russians. The 70s and 80s they were dominated by Ukraine players from Dymamo Kiev. Anyway, no cheers for them for upsetting our Dutch in 2008 Euro.

4. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The English got their asses kicked from what I saw on the news

5. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    ^^ I read that UEFA is considering actions against Russia.
    So far I am impresssed with Poland, Germany and France. There are some good goals so far: Payet, Modric, a couple of free kick (Bale, Dier) and the second Germany's goal today reminded me of our Dutch team in Euro 2008 counter attack goals.

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Switching continents, Brazil out of the Copa America on a Peru 'mano de oro' goal in the manner of Maradona. Didn't they learn their lesson the last time they chose Dunga as manager???

7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Brazil brought their B-team to Copa, its a tournament they care little for.

I remember 10 years ago or so they also brought their B-team, they played like they didnt give a crap, and they still won the tournament....LOL

8. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    ^^ Brazil wanted to win Olympic as a host so I'm not surprised as they bring their B team. On the other hand, it looks as Mexico and Argentine are gunning for the title.

9. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Even Johan is smiling watching GER-UKR as he sees the type of goalkeeper he likes:

upload_2016-6-13_8-4-1.png

Sybe Pals repped this.
  10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^but he got caught way out of position at about the 80th minute or so and couldn't get the back header from his defender. Almost conceded the tying goal!!

bunbohue repped this.
  11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Italians always win the trophy for the best singing of the national anthem. Love Gigi Buffon and his singing!!!

12. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    He's a fascist (no kiddin')

13. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Belgium plays quite like how Holland played back in 1998 and 2000. Similar build up and positional movements. Also the use of wing play instead of everything through the center

They struggle to create chances, unfortunately.

I hope this isn't a game where the Italians don't win from you, but you lose to them.

14. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Arrrggghhh. One chance and goal

15. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Why is Wilmots giving his worst players most of the ball?

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Because he is a rubbish manager. Cruyff once said, "Italy cannot beat you but you can lose to them." Wilmots is proof of this.

17. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He should play Origi + Carrasco instead of Lukaku + Fellaini.

18. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Origi is a horrible finisher

Orange14 repped this.
  19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Really fun match to watch. Italy was a better team tonight. Great volley by Pelle to ice the match. Too bad Belgium doesn't have any proper fullbacks. Italy doesn't need Pirlo any longer as Bonucci delivered passes that were worthy of FdB's great long balls from the back.

Forza Italia!

20. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Lol Wilmots...What's the ********ing sense of playing Fellaini + Witsel ? It's like playing Bazoer + Fer.

Put Hazard and De Bruyne on the wings while they're the most creative players and one of them should be the 10...This leaded to an infinite lateral passing. The midfielders give it to Hazard and De Bruyne who give it back to the center, and you end up with Nainggolan taking the shots while it's clearly not his best quality.

Lukaku had so many poor touches, Mertens brought dynamic and energy but a lot of stupid ball losses.

Hazard was probably the best belgian attacker after all, his touches and ball conservation are just great, De Bruyne was very disappoiting.

I still believe Italy is very average on the paper but they played better than Belgium, lethal counters and no useless passing. That's maybe how Holland could play if they qualified, with a lower pression than in last tournaments.

nurvin and JC-14 repped this.
  21. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Belgium remind me a bit of the Dutch, individuals playing with not much team spirit or identity, and maybe players used improperly rather than players not good enough.
    Italy convince me that the opposite is so much more effective, with a great team victory highlighted by goals from sort of out of form players like Pelle and Giaccherini! Conte such a great motivator, did you notice how giddy even those subs were?
    What a difference a proper manager can make.... sigh

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^Agree about Conte but he gets burned out from all the passion he brings to the job. I think that's why he left Juve. I don't think he'll last more than three years in England because of this.

23. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Given the general poor quality of most of the first round matches played so far, I have to think that the Dutch would have stood a decent chance at winning this tournament had they qualified. I'm throwing my support with Italy as I want to see Buffon sing the national anthem all the way to the finals!

25. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    I agreed, but I still enjoy watching him. It is one thing that reminds me of total football that we had.
    The first Italian goal reminded me of Frank DB pass to Bergkamp in 98 vs Argentina. The 2nd goal reminded of our team counter attack goals in 2008.
    I watched Sweden Ireland game. This Sweden team is beatable for us, even with Zlatan. France is a different story. I hope Blind and his staff are watching Euro, at least France and Sweden games.