Pre-match: Euro 2012 Qualifier: Italy-Estonia (June 3, 2011)

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by forza_azzurri, May 30, 2011.

1. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    20:45CET (20:45 local time) - Alberto Braglia - Modena

North American TV: 2:30 PM EST

Rai Italia (USA & Canada)
    Rogers Sportsnet (Canada)

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  3. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't have problem with that. De Rossi needs to stop acting like a rat. He's been sub-par this season, so it's not a terrible loss.

I do however have a problem with this:

“Abate had a good second half of the season, but using new players at this time of the campaign is a bit risky.”

This is is the exact loser mentality that has plagued italy for 5 years and this is exactly why we have fallen off the map of world football. The most inform italian right back is not selected because he is too new. Keep in mind we're 5 pts clear of 2nd and we're playing the mighty Estonia.

We're screwed

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Italy can't beat Estonia, they don't deserve to be considered one of the worlds top teams. There should be no excuses, they need to win these games!

5. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am confident they can get the win. It just pisses me off that the same stupid mistakes keep being made every year. Abate is too new now so when is a good time to insert him into the Squad? Next March friendly? Or maybe after Euro 2012?

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think the main problem with Italian football is simply not having enough faith and/or even committing to the development of young home grown Italian born players. When you traditionally have the best GK's and defenders in the world and you have to look to Brazil or Argentina to fill those positions, something is definitely wrong. I know there is probably nothing anyone can do about it despite UEFA's efforts, but I think club owners should eventually bite the bullet and think about initiating some type od reserve program that actually see their players make it to the first team. I know clubs already have the Under 12's ,15's and 19's in place but rarely do I see any of those players make it to the first team at least not the top clubs. When exactly will they start promoting those players? If you really want to improve the national team, they better start thinking about this otherwise, Italy could start facing a long trek toward another WC or even Euro win.

7. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so who are the call ups?

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Portieri: Buffon (Juventus), Sirigu (Palermo), Viviano (Bologna);

Difensori: Astori (Cagliari), Balzaretti (Palermo), Cassani (Palermo), Chiellini (Juventus), Criscito (Genoa), Gamberini (Fiorentina), Maggio (Napoli), Ranocchia (Inter);

Centrocampisti: Aquilani (Juventus), Marchisio (Juventus), Montolivo (Fiorentina), Motta Thiago (Inter), Nocerino (Palermo), Palombo (Sampdoria), Pirlo (Milan);

Attaccanti: Balotelli (Manchester City), Cassano (Milan), Gilardino (Fiorentina), Giovinco (Parma), Matri (Juventus), Pazzini (Inter), Rossi (Villarreal).

http://it.eurosport.yahoo.com/23052...-2012-prandelli-richiama-pirlo-balotelli.html

9. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Abate should have been selected. Cassano on the otherhand should not have been selected. Good thing Prandelli brought these guys in early for fitness tests. Someone who has sat on the bench for 6 months should not be playing.

10. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I think he just wants to create as much distance between the Azzurri and hte rest of the pack as possible before taking any chances on some newbies, which is fine if you ask me. We honestly can't complain about Prandelli not being open to new blood, as he has given more attention to younger players over the past year than any other NT coach in recent memory. I also don't think he's turning a blind eye towards Abate either. It's really just a matter of time before we see the kid featured in a few friendlies, and then eventually qualifiers. I would bet my money on him being on the Euro squad as well if he continues to show the form that he did this season for Milan.

11. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Cassano is part of the core setup of this squad, even in spite of the limited playing time he saw with Milan. Prandelli knows what he is capable of doing at any given moment, and I also don't think he would've called him up if he thought his fitness was questionable.

12. DIECI

DIECI Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When I read this story I thought the same thing.
    Is he made of glass or does he go all out and is injury prone.

14. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    i wouldnt call up buffon, as much as he has done for us its time to move on, especially a game against an inferior opponent try some new blood

15. stucazzo81

stucazzo81 Member

May 15, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think they need to wrap him in bubble wrap

16. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Yep, Cassano is part of the core of Prandelli setup...

This afternoon, Cassano played 35" (Ist Half vs. U18) scored a goal and
    had 2 assists in practice game that ended 8-0.

17. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    finally im happy with the forwards, but now im not too impressed by the midfield

18. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Our midfield hasn't been good for 30 years :)

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Our forwards haven't been good for 30 years either.

20. stucazzo81

stucazzo81 Member

May 15, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can't believe ESPN3.com is showing almost every game but this one :confused:

21. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    forza and falvo, how can u say its been 30 years? do i need to start throwing names out there? we've seen some excellent italian players, i personally think that team of 90-95 deserved a world cup win over the 2006 team

22. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We've had good players but not great. Our Defense and Goalkeepers have won our championships.

23. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I can't believe Our Major Canadian sports station is showing this game across Canada and in High Def.

24. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I don't think Man. City has been doing a great job with his recovery. In my opinion it doesn't make sense for a player that young to constantly be experiencing the same discomfort with the same knee. Hopefully he takes the summer to rest and heal up as much as possible.

25. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Not every team is perfect in every area ;)