PBP: (EURO 2012 - Group Stage - Match 2) Holland v. Germany 06.13.2012 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Lahmfan, Jun 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This should be a very exciting game and hopefully Germany show up with a better performance that did against Portugal ...

prediction: 2-0 for Germany

2. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    The Dutch have their backs to the wall. They were a pre-tournament favourite. I expect a very tough match.

2-1 Germany in a thriller.

3. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    but the way they played and the chances they missed i dont know how can they possibly score a goal ...

4. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    It'll finish 3:3. I had a vision. :D

5. albert_mk87

albert_mk87 Member+

Aug 27, 2008
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany will have more space than against Portugal. Holland must attack and their defence is shaky

6. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    * hand clap

Lahmfan repped this.
  7. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    that lots of goal for one game :p

my thoughts exactly. I think Holland will go all in and let Germany do what Germany do best - fast counter attacks.

any suggested line up?

8. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    One that wins. :cool::p

9. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Likely the same XI as last match. Hopefully Podolski has a better game than last match, I don't think it's possible to play as bad as he did.

10. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    DF, you are no fun anymore. You used to be cool!! you should argue and analyze the entire game and say that Jogi is a dumb ass for playing x,y and z instead of A,B,C since you obviously know more than him.

I miss the old DF :(

I think the same line up will be fine... I am just so glad we have so many options ...

Hopefully Lahm and Piggy step it up a notch or four.

11. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    I think you have the wrong DF. :p

Regardless, when you have two little kids, the time just isn't there

Lahmfan repped this.
  12. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    oh you got those things ... i have lost some of my good friends for those lil creatures ...

Dead Fingers repped this.
  13. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Vs Holland, I think the Dutch would come out to attack and their difference is very prone. So I would want us to play counter attacking football

I would start Muller , Reus and Schurrle (Those 3 are the best counter attacking players in the team) drop Poldi, Gomez and Klose

-----------Khedira -----Schweini
    --------------------Ozil
    ----Muller---------Schurlle-----Reus

14. Kais3r

Kais3r Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So far everything that has happened thus far in our group is perfect for us and SHOULD give us all the confidence that one can have:

1) Opened Campaign with a win, and 3 points
    2) Kept a clean sheet
    3) Played OK, certainly nothing to worry about too much going into the next match
    5) Are top of group with 3 points
    4) Holland lost to Denmark
    5) Beat Holland earlier in the season 3-0
    6) Bayern beat Holland 3-2 a few weeks ago

Points 5 and 6 should give confidence to everyone from players to coaches, as well as the fact that a lot of the players know how the Dutch will play since they either played or are playing with them in the Bundesliga

The only worrying thing have noticed is something which is unlike Germany teams of the past, but is there within these set of players - Nerves. Since 2010 some players are very nervy and offer too much respect to these "established" teams. I have seen Badstuber, Hummels, Neuer very nervous on occasions. I don't know if it is because they read the tabloids but there is nothing to worry about. Just enjoy your football and don;t be afaird of anyone!

In regards to formation as much as we would like to see changes i don't think there will be any. The game could possibly be the best of the tournament as both sides will attack. If we decide to sit back then we are going to let goals in period. We just need to play like we did in our earlier friendly with them. KEEP POSSESSION and dictate the play, and most importantlly TAKE OUR CHANCES.We will get them but i hope Podolski has his shooting boots on!

Only notable danger i see to our defence is Sneijder with his passes and RVP who can also take on and link passes around defences.

15. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think robben would be less dangerous since he's going against his teammates day in and day out throughout the season..

I think huntelaar will be stArtung and I think he'll give us problems.

I also think we have a big confidence edge over them. (won our first game, they lost theirs, beat them twice in a row)

Plus they aren't going to park the bus, which is perfect for us.

16. Dalmar

Dalmar Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We might see them go for it in the last twenty minutes but generally I think they will keep their discipline and wait for their chances. The interesting thing in this game is how Löw will adjust after last performance. Gabriele Marcotti thinks Löw's 2012 team is a possession based team and will struggle against park the bus teams. He thinks the players who fit the possession style football are actually on the bench, Goetze, Rues, Gundogan. Totally agree.

"The thing is, he's been working on tweaking the philosophy without changing the personnel. But here's the reality: Against a team that defends well and denies the space behind, Germany is going to struggle with a trio of Thomas Mueller, Mario Gomez and Lukas Podolski. Not that they are bad players -- quite the contrary -- just that they are not the most blessed in terms of technique or creativity. Give them space (Podolski), service (Gomez) or skillful teammates to dialogue with (Mueller) and they can be devastating. But all three together, with only Mesut Özil to provide the spark, can be a problem if you're trying to win games with finesse. That means Loew might consider doing one of two things: either bring in Marco Reus or Mario Goetze to provide some creativity, or go back to the counterattacking oomph of 2010."

==

Minttunator and Lahmfan repped this.
  17. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    can you please provide a link for that article?

18. Minttunator

Minttunator Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Estonia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm quietly hoping to see Poldi benched, but I am fully expecting us to field the same line-up we did against Portugal. Like many have said, it's a must-win game for Holland, so they'll hopefully come out swinging, leaving more room for our midfield and attackers to create quick counters. If our defence holds (as I'm confident it will), we shouldn't have a problem.

19. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    This is a game where u can play Reus up top. He is better than Gomez n this unift Klose at counter-attack

With Mueller Oezil n Podolski at AM. U needa hv Podolski there somehow, He is the only attacking midfield whos tough n more experienced. Poldki tracks back a lot too

Dont get me wrong, i think Gotze(if recovered) n Schurrle are better players, but its not all about skill n technique. Is about who's a better fit. Against Holland, i think Podolski should be playing.

--------------------------Neuer
    --Boateng-----Hummels-----Badstuber----Lahm
    -----------------Khedira-----Schweinsteiger
    --T.Mueller-------------Oezil----------------Podolski
    --------------------------Reus

20. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope Jogi will actually put his preachings about the idea of a rigid starting eleven being outdated into practice and mix things up a bit throughout the tournament. He has the squad available to fine tune the line up and effectively exploit the weaknesses of every opponent. Sticking to one starting eleven and the same 2 or 3 substitutions in minutes 75, 85 and 90 would be a huge waste of substance and potential. It might have been the way to go in 2006 and 2008, when there was hardly a bench available, but that has changed. Of course, this mostly applies to the attacking positions of the team; the current defense needs to stay intact.

Against Holland, I would prefer a slightly altered version of the Portugal formation at first, with potential further changes later in the game.

Starting line up:

---------------------------- Neuer
    -- Boateng ----- Hummels --- Badstuber ------ Lahm
    ---------------- Khedira ------- Schweinsteiger*
    --- Müller ----------------- Özil ------------- Podolski*
    ---------------------------- Klose*

* If Podolski fails to deliver, he should be replaced at half-time. Options here would be Reus or Schürrle. Infact, I'd like to see what Reus can do in a match like this within a non-experimental line up (as opposed to the Switzerland game he entered). Schürrle is a proven super sub kind of player who might as well enter later on (60th minute or a little later) and cause some havoc, maybe even get another goal.

* Klose should play if he's fit. Even if he can only last 60 minutes, that would probably be enough to tear some serious holes into the Dutch defense. Gomez can enter for the last half hour and get his typical goal from his 2nd or 3rd touch. Given the situation and him not having to prove anything right now, he should be able to handle a sub appearance mentally.

* Schweinsteiger should obviously play this game. Hopefully he can get a step closer to his best form. However, IF he's completely lackluster again and Germany still manages to win the game (similarly to the Portugal one), it might be wise to test alternatives (Kroos or Gündogan) in the potentially semi-unimportant match against Denmark.

It would be nice to see Götze getting some decent minutes, but maybe that can as well be postponed to the Denmark game. Like Reus, I'd like to see him in a non-experimental team and in a position that he has actually played more than thrice in his career.

AllReD repped this.
  21. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I seriously doubt Loew will replace both poldi and gomez, but i prefer it if he replaced gomez.

22. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Same here.

23. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ya let's replace a player who played a great season, is in good shape and now with confidence and leave Podolski in the team because it is obviously the striker who must fix our problems in the midfield.
    It's funny that Özil, Müller and Podolski get a free pass for their weak performances and yet people focus on the whole Gomez/Klose thing which is really not that important as long as our midfield performs since quite some games (we had similar issues against France, Switzerland and Israel no matter who the striker was).

Loddar, AllReD, Raumdeuter and 1 other person repped this.
  24. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agreed Klose fits into the system (especially against Holland) much better!