Euro 2012 Group C: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'Group C - Spain, Italy, Croatia, Ireland' started by mfw13, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Those are some pretty good choices to choose from. I would choose all three over Negredo tbh.

2. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Negredo is over rated and I am confident that he will not make the final player list on 27 May.

3. Fabio Grosso 2006

Fabio Grosso 2006 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Muniain is a gun. Flogged manchester United at Old Trafford.

4. Fabio Grosso 2006

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Croatia are a good team Modric is a genius forget what happens in qualifying come the real thing it's a different story and I do make a big deal about Croatia going to Turkey and pounding them on their home turf. They've always had Italy's measure, so anything can happen.

5. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Have you watched them play over the past couple of years? Modric is a good player as are Rakitic, Olic and Srna. I just don't see it from them this time around, they are in decline and while they give us fits usually I expect Italy to handle them this time. The teams have played one important match against one another and that was the WC 2002 loss, which Italy dominated for all but 5 minutes, I wouldn't put much stock into a firendly played in August after the WC.

6. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Well by there age they are definitely not in decline as there best players are all under 30 except for Olic who will probably be coming off the bench..The form of Croatia overall has been poor except of course for there impressive win against Turkey..From some reason though Croatia seems to get good results against Italy and Germany..I remember Croatia also barely qualified for the World Cup in 1998 and then almost won the World Cup when they got there..Of course this generation is not nearly as good as that generation but these same group of players proved they can play well in euro 2008..So maybe they turn it on in euro 2012 but im not expecting it with all the turmoil going on in our football..

7. Fabio Grosso 2006

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    1993 european qualifier in Italy, Suker netted twice in a 2-1 win. We drew 1-1 in Italy, ive already mentioned the 2-0 loss in august 2006 where we had no one who played in the world cup on the pitch. 0-0 draw 1999 in Croatia. 2002 we had 2 disallowed goals, I make nothing of that loss any Cro who raves on about that is a fool. Friendlies or not, we havn't beaten them.

8. Fabio Grosso 2006

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Well said. IMO as long as you're a decent team with some experience and quality what you do in qualifying means squat. It's once you get there what counts. Italy in 2006 qualifying were far from convincing and left it late to assure top place with a 1-0 win at home to Slovenia. Brazil 2002 qualifying were average, France for euro 2000 were also average yet they won the whole thing.

9. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Del Bosque announces the squad:​

Goalkeepers: Casillas, Valdes, Reina
    Defenders: Arbeloa, Juanfran, Ramos, Piqué, Albiol, Javi Martinez, Jordi Alba,
    Midfielders: Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta, Cazorla, Mata, Silva, Fabregas, Navas,
    Forwards: Pedro, Llorente, Torres, Negredo

For the last four years, Spain played the same way, with pretty much the same line up and nobody could solve the puzzle they present - clear favorites.

10. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Well maybe but we are missing Villa, who did the majority of our scoring for us. I don't see anyone who can replace that consistent scoring.

We will dominate the ball in every game like we normally do but we just don't have a cutting edge. Italy will beat us in the first game, I'm fairly certain.

11. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Torres still does not deserve a slot and I would have given it to Soldado. Curious to see how many minutes if any he gets in the Euro.

12. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I bet Torres starts.

13. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think I am going to vomit. I am not a Sevillista for obvious reasons but even Negredo is better than Torres! I guess we'll see against SK and PRC who VDB starts with as striker and take it from there.

14. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree. And probably Albiol partnering Pique in central defence. :(

Puyol and Villa will be sorely missed.

15. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    You Spaniards are funny. Got so spoiled over the last 4 years that Torres is considered a horrible selection :). He'd start for all 3 of your opponents. Granted, Villa is a big loss, especially due to the chemistry with Barca midfield but you have to take Torres because if he happens to shine, he's much brighter than Negredo or any of your Euro '12 forwards. Believe me, I watched him for years at Liverpool.
    As far as my Croatia goes, I never know what to expect. when I have high hopes, they don't make it through group stages - then, when nobody expects it, they play a great Euro but commit one incredible mistake in quarters vs Turkey. This leads me to believe that we're awesome only not to qualify for South Africa.
    I'm just happy we're here and hope we can find Jelavic in the same form he showed for Everton and that Modric and co. can set him up properly...
    Can't wait for kick off!!!

16. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Have you watched him with Spain? His performances have left a lot to be desired. He'll discover the opponents at Poland/Ukraine are much tougher than the likes of Genk, Leicester and QPR. Crossing fingers and hoping he happens to shine is about all were left with at this stage.

17. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    This.

Croatia will get destroyed in the group.

18. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Shirt numbers for Spain.

1. Iker Casillas
    2. Raúl Albiol
    3. Gerard Piqué
    4. Javi Martínez
    5. Juanfran Torres
    6. Andrés Iniesta.
    7. Pedro Rodríguez
    8. Xavi Hernández
    9. Fernando Torres
    10. Cesc Fábregas
    11. Álvaro Negredo
    12. Victor Valdés
    13. Juan Mata
    14. Xabi Alonso
    15. Sergio Ramos
    16. Sergio Busquets
    17. Álvaro Arbeloa
    18. Jordi Alba
    19. Fernando Llorente
    20. Santi Cazorla
    21. David Silva
    22. Jesús Navas
    23. Pepe Reina

19. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Two years ago we said the same thing about Torres and he hasn't done squat since then so it's not like he's been off his form in the last year plus, he's been a downward spiral since his knee injury with Liverpoo!! When Euro2012 is over I would not be too surprised to see that the majority of Spain's goals will have been scored by the midfield and not the strikers/forwards.

20. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    You think Torres will be a starter for the present Italian team??? I think he wouldn't have even made the pre-list.
    And how is Torres more brighter than Negredo and More importantly Llorente & Soldado as far as the past 2 seasons go??? I don't even think Negredo should be in the squad but he's still more deserving than Torres.
    Imo, Spain will be depending too much on players like Silva, Fabregas and Iniesta for goals.

21. Cuppo

Cuppo Member+

May 27, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think:
    Spain - Italy
    Ireland - Croatia
    Italy - Croatia
    Spain - Ireland
    Croatia - Spain
    Italy - Ireland
    1. Spain
    2.Croatia
    3.Italy
    4.Ireland

22. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    depending on how the matchfixing scandal in Italy goes and how many get into hot water, i could see Ireland winning over them as well

But it certainly made Spain and Croatia promoting more likely, rather than less likely

23. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What does the match fixing have to do with what happens on the field. If anything you will see a determined and more focused Italy team right off the bat and that spells trouble for the other 3 countries. AKA:::: 2006 and 1982

24. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I was in Spain in 1982. Italy didn't start off that well. Got 3 draws to barely scrape out of the group. Traditionally they are slow starters, it's when they get into the knockout rounds is when they start to shine.

25. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Other than the fact that some of the players (such as Domenico Criscito or Stefano Mauri) have been forced off the team due to the case?