Euro 2012 Group B: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'Group B - Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Portugal' started by mfw13, Dec 2, 2011.

1. thebaptist

thebaptist Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Durban, SA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I didn't make any claims and I have yet to see you post any results to back up your claims. And saying that NL has consistently beaten better teams than Portugal in the last 5 years.. wow, how delusional can you get. Statements like that are completely baseless and have no business being stated as fact.. there are just too many variables to consider. Portugal does have a problem playing against minnows but when you tally up the final results, Portugal has had as much success, if not more, as the NL in the last decade or so.

Also, your justifications about how Portugal cheats and the North sees cheating like this and whatever else you were trying to say.. is just a load of horsecrap. Give me some examples of Portuguese players going out of their way to provoke opposing teams and I'll give you just as many from any other team you want.

LovingPortugal repped this.
  2. LovingPortugal

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I just really have to laugh at the claim that the Northern Teams think diving and asking for cards is evil, were the Netherlands not told about this???

3. LovingPortugal

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The dutch played so clean in the WC:

And yes they definitely think diving is evil:

4. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    So how does Portugal cheat?

The Ref controls the game. If someone dives or asks for a card, he has the ability to penalize the "cheat". I guess the ref is the cheat if he doesn't follow the rules.

5. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
  6. LovingPortugal

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    LOL but then that means we lose vs Netherlands! No good.

7. LovingPortugal

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  8. Code:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>    Tn    m.    w.    d.    l.    goals    p.

germany>>>>>    10    38    19    10    09    55-39    67
    netherlands>    08    32    17    08    07    55-32    59
    france>>>>>>    07    28    14    07    07    46-34    49
    spain>>>>>>>    08    30    13    09    08    38-31    48
    itay>>>>>>>>    07    27    11    12    04    27-18    45
    portugal>>>>    05    23    12    04    07    34-22    40
    chech rep>>>    07    25    11    05    09    36-32    38
    russia>>>>>>    09    27    11    05    11    31-36    38
    england>>>>>    07    23    07    07    09    31-28    28
    denmark>>>>>    07    24    06    06    12    26-38    24

This is the eternal table of the EURO's until the start of EURO 2012!​
    Tn = tournements played​
    m. = matches played​
    w. = matches won​
    d. = matches drawn​
    l. = matches lost​
    p. = points according to the 3 points rule​

Draws include the matches ended with penalty kicks​
    Goals from the extended playtime (30 minutes or goalden goal time) not included​

9. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    History is cute, but if its older than the teams its ultimately useless ...

10. Take this table and the FIFA ranking of the last two years of the teams and you will know who are the top dogs of the bunch.

11. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    anyone denied that Denmark is underdog? ... i don't see anyone have done so ...

what i've done is denying that Denmark is out of its league

12. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I said not to count out the Danish...

13. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Workhorse Victory

14. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Denmark is still the underdog....I personally think it was a miracle that Denmark won. They can't and shouldn't win the tournament with slow counter attacks....that's bad football!

15. danish

danish New Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There we go. Denmark have their 1 win and now they can't be dismissed. Part luck, but also due to the way we played. The Danes are not given enough credit in first wave of journalism and I even read someone (SI i think) said Denmark only had one chance That simply isn't true.

Denmark played well, next up is Portugal and then finally Germany (who will hopefully have two wins and will be resting players). Time to count Denmark back in.

Kjær was better than I'd thought he'd be and Poulsen was very good. So the defense is better than I thought.

16. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I totally agree with you. Each team plays with its weapons and Denmark did what it had to do. This conversation of anti-football is old and outdated. If Denmark tried to play as equals, then it would have lost. The main goal of the game is to win.

17. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Denmark may not have a lot of World class players, unlike Holland, but just look at how cool minded they play in defense and midfield.. they all know exactly what to do as a team and do it well, which is also why they are 9th in the World ranking, ahead of Portugal..... tactically they just outsmarted the Dutch.

18. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Denmark have it cozy the rest of the group stage

Denmark have in the last couple of years outplayed Portugal when it mattered most, and against Germany, they might/probably have 6 points by then, and is resting their top players

Starting to entertain a Semi before being knocked out

19. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    True, but you forgot that Portugal got to the 1/8 finals in 2010 and the 1/4 in 2008. That's when it matters most. Let us see what happens now.

20. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    denmark on good day can beat any team.. i remember they used to beat france back then when they had zidane.... so this victory is no suprise

21. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    All they have to is tie Portgual then tie the Germans in the last game because they will rest players

22. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmm.. I don't know about that, remember Switzerland in WC 2010? They upset the odds beating Spain in their opening game but their lack of quality got to them in the end when they had to take it to their opponents to win games.

Anyhoo, congrats to Denmark and Germany for their wins and tough luck to Portugal & Holland for tough losses. Also, a big, big thanks to Denmark for blowing this group wide opening and making things very, very interesting now... I won't say either games were classics today but am really looking forward to the next round of games. Now Holland & Portugal will have to take it to Germany & Denmark in the 2nd round of games and these could be really good games because of that. If the latter teams win, then it's over but if the former both win, then we could go into the last round of games with all teams on 3 points.

Not a great night of football but this group is now finely poised for fireworks to explode from here on...

23. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    The difference between Switzerland and Denmark is that Denmark is only a slight underdog, but would be a favorite to continue to the Quarters, nearly no matter which one of the other 3 groups they were in.

I could certainly see Denmark making another "upset" against Portugal, and being the surprising team able to rest their troops on sunday (although we have to see how group A pans out before guessing how wise that is)

24. Schoppe23

Schoppe23 Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    my prediction:

GER -9pts
    DEN-6pts
    NED-1pts
    POR- 1pts

of course this will all be wrong now that i wrote it but it's fun to guess.

25. Laaura

Laaura Member+

Apr 2, 2009
    Manchester
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You really think Germany will advance with 9 points...

Of course...you do. You're German. I understand being a tad biased...but 9pts?