Euro 2012 Group B: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'Group B - Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Portugal' started by mfw13, Dec 2, 2011.

1. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well, now that the draw has been made, time to start analyzing the groups.

In each team's analysis I will note results in OFFICIAL matches (i.e. qualifiers and WC 2010) since Euro 2008 but not give any weight to results in friendlies.

Group B: Germany, Netherlands, Portugal, Denmark

GERMANY: What needs to be said? A squad filled with young talent, and one of the favorites to win the whole tournament. In fact, one suspects that had Tomas Muller not been suspended for the WC 2010 semifinal, we might be talking about Germany as WC 2010 winners instead of Spain. Earned 30 points out of 30 in qualifying, demolishing a group including Turkey, Belgium, and Austria.

NETHERLANDS: A team that suprised everbody with an unexpected run to the finals of WC 2010, but which everyone suspects is not quite as good as that run made them appear. Tore through a difficult group at Euro 2008 before being suprisingly knocked out by Russia 3-1 in extra time in the quarterfinals. Cruised through a weak qualifying group to ease into WC 2010, where they won all three of their group stage matches (Cameroon 2-1, Japan 1-0, Denmark 2-0), before beating Slovakia in the round of 16 (2-1), Brazil in the quaterfinals (2-1) and Uruguay in the semis (3-2) before losing to Spain 1-0 in the final. Cruised through qualifying for Euro 2012, winning their first nine matches before losing away to Sweden in the final round after they had already clinched qualification. Nobody doubt their ability to score goals, but the bigger concern is their ability to keep them out of their own net. Their defensive back four is decidedly ordinary, although the development of Tim Krul at Newcastle into a top-notch keeper certainly won't hurt.

PORTUGAL: A team that always seem to be less that the sum of its parts. Built around a player, Cristiano Ronaldo, who while excellent in his own right, fails to bring out the best in his teammates, and underperforms for his national team. Made a mess of qualifying for Euro 2012, drawing at home to Cyprus 4-4 and conceding three goals at home to Iceland in a 5-3 win, before getting lucky in the playoff draw and cruising past Bosnia 6-2. Underperformed at WC 2010, going out meekly to Spain in the round of sixteen. Hard to see how they will get out of this group, and could easily finish bottom of the table if Denmark outperforms.

DENMARK: Always fan favorites due to their good spirits, but recepients of a very tough draw. Usually get out of the group stages at the tournaments they do qualify for, but somewhat suprisingly failed to do so at WC 2010, losing 2-0 to the Netherlands and 3-1 to Japan in the process, suggesting that these Danes may not be quite as good as those of the past. Won a tight qualifying group, beating Portugal at home 2-1, but losing away 3-1, thus suggesting that beating the Portugese on a neutral field will certainly be within the realm of possibility.

CONCLUSION: Will be a major upset if Germany and Holland don't advance.

2. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Got to really feel sorry for Denmark here. A good team, but thrown completely to the lions. No chance against Germany and Holland, and the Portuguese will be out for blood.

3. indiansoccerfan

indiansoccerfan New Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's a shame that one among Portugal, Netherlands & Germany is going home early -- ideally all these 3 teams are good enough to be in the semifinals, and as such, any and I mean any of these 2 could go through.

I feel Germany will make it out of this group. They have a mix of some top quality youth with some very good experienced players. They also have some in-betweens, young players who have a bit of big tournament experience such as Muller & Ozil. They should make it through.

I am going to tip the Dutch to join them. They do not have a great defence, but their attacking quality is embarassingly good. Sneijder, Robben, Van Persie who is in the form of his life, Huntelaar (top scorer in qualifying), Van Der Vaart, the hard-working Kuyt.

Portugal, sadly, I feel will just come up short. They are overreliant on their 2 wingers -- Cristiano Ronaldo & Nani, and if teams can find a way of subduing them, I just don't think they have enough quality in the middle of the park. I feel both the Dutch & Germans will thus figure out a way to stop them.

Denmark, on the other hand, are not as strong as these 3. Plus they tend to underperform as compared to qualifying (we saw this in the WC 2010). Their stars are Rommedahl (33 yrs old now) and Bendtner (who needs about 5 chances to score one goal). So I feel they will surely go out in this difficult group.

4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the fact that Poland & Ukraine both were seeded led to some unbalanced groups. And this was the result. Group A is weak, and Group B is tough.

One has to like Germany and the Dutch. But I never underestimate the Danes, and any team with CR7 and Nani on it always has a chance.

By far the toughest group. At some point, a German team will fail to advance. It has to happen sometime, doesn't it?

5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    No reason to feel sorry for Denmark, since Denmark has always produced their best results, when they are able to come from behind and surprise against bigger countries, so it would be more difficult for Denmark to be in a group with more cautious defensive minded nations like Greece or Ukraine... In any case, while Portugal is the most overrated team in Europe in my opinion, Denmark is usually one of the more underrated...

I mean, Denmark has now finished ahead of Portugal in the last WC-10 and Euro-12 qualifiers, but still ppl all over the World think that Portugal clearly are better than Denmark.... ppl easily seem to forget that soccer is a team sport and is not only about who have some bigger "names" in their squad... But really, who is the bigger football nation, when you look at the past ?...

Portugal have reached 10 WC- and Euro finals in the past, while Denmark have reached 12 ... Since 1986 Portugal has qualified for 4 World Cups, which is exactly the same as Denmark, Portugal has finished in 4, 11, 17 and 21 place, while Denmark finished in 5, 9, 10 and 24 place... hardly much difference there, but of course Portugal got their 3rd place from 1966 (which btw also was the only year England has ever won anything important)... At the Euro finals, Portugal has one Silver medal and two 4th places as their best results, Denmark won the Euro-92 and also have a 3rd and a 4th place as their best results... At the Olympics Portugal has never won anything, while Denmark has 1 gold, 3 Silver and one Bronze medal... I rest my case, regarding past results....

As for the Danish WC-10 fiasco, then it was a terrible injury-struck and over-the-hill team Denmark was fielding... this Euro-12 team is a new younger Denmark on the rise, so if Denmark is not badly struck by injuries in key positions (mainly Daniel Agger, William Kvist, Christian Eriksen, Nicklas Bendtner) they are going to surprise at the Euro-12, because they will be highly underrated and not feel much pressure, unlike Germany, Holland and Portugal... So this is actually a perfect group for Denmark...

6. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The most important Danish players are Daniel Agger, William Kvist, Christian Eriksen and Nicklas Bendtner .... and Bendtner always show up in the big games for Denmark... He is on the other hand often crap in friendlies and against the smaller countries.

7. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maybe it's because they watched the games rather than going to Wikipedia to collect data on "positions" in World Cups.

8. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That's why even in this thread many think we don't stand a chance against the Netherlands and Germany. I don't know why exactly but a lot of people tend to say that. Maybe, it's because many people don't like Ronaldo or didn't like the fact that we have improved a lot since 1996. So, actually, i think we may be a little bit underrated.

True, but we beat you by 3-1 at home, also, we also didn't have a lot of important players in the game against you, in Denmark. In addition, we had a draw against Cyprus and lost agains Norway during the transition from Queiroz to Bento. I'm not excusing our bad campaign, but being ahead of us by 3 points doesn't say all about our current form. Specially if we take into consideration that we were knocked out by France, Germany and Spain in the last three major competitions, which were all finalists of those competitions. We also lost against the mighty France of 2000, in the semi-finals.

Yes, you're right about that. Before the Figo generation, we were really poor in terms of results. Still, you forgot to mention the many titles we have in younger players tournments. For instance, we won two times the world championship U-20 and were finalists last edition.

Currently, i think Portugal has better players than Denmark as it has a worse team than Netherlands and Germany. Still, the difference is not that big and that's why I don't risk to make any predictions. It's the beauty of this group.

9. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The usual excuse from Portugal is that they have a poor coach or they perform poorly because of injuries... Denmark also had some key players injured in the home mach against Portugal and it looked even worse in the WC-10 qualifiers, where Denmark was forced to use no less than 38 different players, but still won the group ahead of Portugal.... Portugal were very good at home in the Euro qualifiers but were outplayed all over the pitch in their away match Denmark and not only in defense... so it's just bad excuses... the table and past results never lie... a country is no better than their actual results..

10. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    You didnt watch your key match in Denmark then... since you were tactically outplayed all over the pitch and not anywhere near getting a result...

11. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We played a lot more games than the one where we had a makeshift defense. And let's not forget how we always play subpar in qualifications.

In 2010 we were also "overrated", ended up qualifying below Denmark (woe, they said) and would never pass the group. We passed, were told Spain would humiliate us and although we did lose against the eventual champions (who were the best team in the world at the time), they needed an offside goal to beat us. What happened to Denmark? That's right, thumped by Japan in the group and out.

Denmark is a solid team and can cause trouble to many on any given day, but to say you are on par with Portugal is delusion.

12. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    As i said, I'm not making excuses. Simply, you can't just evaluate the teams just for the final standings. One match is one match. Anything can happen. And you don't know half of what happened during those days when we draw Cyprus. Luckily for you, your coach never underestimated us.

We were 2nd in the world cup, everyone said we would be trashed by Brasil and even be beaten by Ivry Coast. Instead, we drawed in both games and were only stopped by Spain, the world champions.

And it's funny that you say we are always excusing, but you did the same thing when trying to justify your bad performance in the worl cup.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Err ... germany failed to advance in both Euro 2000 and 2004. Holland is the country that seemingly always advances from the group.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    So because Portugal play prettier football that's more appealing to watch, it means they are better?

You can't get away from the fact that the 2 teams have similar finishing positions in world cups over the past 25 years. Just because that fact exists on Wikipedia, doesn't mean it isn't a convincing argument.

15. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Don't think it has been mentioned here, but the average FIFA ranking for group B teams is 5.75. Meaning on average, you get a top 5-6 team in the world in this group (compare that to a ~32 ranked team for Group A).

Talk about a group of death!

Say what?

Portugal is ranked #7 in the world atm and it would shock nobody with real insight in the game if they were in the top 2 in this group.

16. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    And here comes BocaFan, with his usual mouth foaming when it comes to Portugal.

Where did I say prettier or appealing? I said watch. I know you're trying hard to troll, but you still need to try harder.

Oh, and people who talk about "positions" in world cups really know nothing about football. Positions! :rolleyes:

17. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I wanna know who made the thread starter an expert?

your analysis is so shit and full of blatant bias

18. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If anyone is interested, Germany's record vs. the teams in the group:

Vs. Denmark

Played: 27 matches, Won: 15, Draw: 4, Losses: 8, Goals For: 53, Goals Against: 36

vs. the Netherlands

Played: 38 matches, Won: 14, Drawn: 14, Losses: 10, Goals For: 75, Goals Against 63

Vs. Portugal

Played: 16 matches, Won: 8, Drawn: 5, Losses: 3 Goals For: 24, Goals Against 16

19. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nobody made me an expert, and I certainly am not one...the whole point of my post was to provide a STARTING POINT for discussion. After all, I don't see anybody else taking the time to write up such a detailed post, let alone one for each group.

And if my analysis is so crap and blatantly biased, why don't you provide a counter-analysis instead of taking a cheapshot...

20. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For what it's worth, I appreciate the time you took to open the thread and write an introductory post.

Not that I agree that Germany/Holland not advancing amounts to a major upset. Portugal and Denmark are really good. Anyone can beat anyone. Such is football. But it applies especially to this group of death.

That being said, I do like Germany's odds of advancing, even if I won't deny that such a tough group makes me somewhat nervous.

One factor worth considering: Germany has a lot more qualitative depth. So injuries before or during the tournament are less likely to be detrimental. Portugal and Holland aren't in such a fortunate position.

21. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I have no idea what will happen in the Germany vs Holland and I can not wait to see it.
    Germany vs Portugal.. I dont see Portugal being able to beat germany.
    Germany vs. denmark.. anything is possible but I see Germany winning.
    Holland vs Portugal... I see Holland winning it (as always, anything is possible)
    Portugal vs Denmark.. its hard to call, it could go either way.

22. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    my 2 cents:

Portugal v Germany: the germans have Portugal's number. I predict a loss against them
    Portugal v Holland: portugal has had success over the last few tournaments against holland and the games have been exciting. I predict a win
    Portugal v Denmark: portugal will not fool around against these guys and will be looking to make amends for the defeat at home during the qualifiers, for sure. I predict a win

23. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Outside of Brasil and Spain there was a subgroup and the the Netherlands was definitely in that group. I asked some Inter fans who they considered the three most important players in their 2009-2010 triple and they said to me Sneijder for his vision, Milito for his goals and Maicon for his energy. If they hadn´t changed the set up Sneijder would have won the Ballon d´Or as he won most journalist votes. Robben brought Bayern on the other side of the bracket to the CL final almost single handedly. Combine these two players and you have gold. But that's not the end of it.

Now the second remark. This made me think. I thought the Netherlands have earned their position and status by the results they have gotten. So it feels like this remark is taking away from that. Then I realized you probably mean that the Netherlands does not have such a surplus of quality (the back line is a popular argument) that can explain the results. Maybe, but to create a top team there are a lot of factors to consider. Here are some characteristics of a top team and with that things you can work on to improve it:

expert teams.....

1. Develop shared mental models.

• They anticipate each other’s needs and actions.
    • They can communicate implicitly.
    • They interpret cues in a complimentary manner.

2. Learn and adapt.

• They self-correct.
    • They learn from past decision-making episodes.
    • They adapt coordinating processes to dynamic environments.
    • They compensate for each other.

3. Maintain clear roles and responsibilities.

• They manage expectations.
    • They understand each other’s roles and how they fit together.
    • They maintain clarity of roles while maintaining flexibility.

4. Possess clear, valued, and shared vision.

• They develop their goals with a shared sense of purpose.
    • They guide their decisions with a common set of values.

5. Develop a cycle of pre-brief -> performance -> debrief.

• They regularly provide individual and team level feedback to one another.
    • They establish and revise team goals and plans.
    • They dynamically set priorities.
    • They anticipate and review issues/problems of members.
    • They periodically diagnose team decision making “effectiveness,” including its results, its processes and its vitality (morale, retention, energy)

6. Have strong team leadership

• They are led by someone with good leadership skills and not just technical competence.
    • They believe the leaders care about them.
    • Leaders of expert teams provide situation updates.
    • Leaders of expert teams foster teamwork, coordination, and cooperation.
    • Leaders of expert teams self-correct first.

7. Have a strong sense of “collective,” trust, teamness, and confidence.

• They manage conflict well; they confront each other effectively.
    • They have a strong sense of team orientation.
    • They trust other team members’ “intentions.”
    • They strongly believe in the team’s collective ability to succeed.

8. Manage and optimize performance outcomes

• They make fewer mistakes
    • They communicate often enough; they ensure that fellow team members have the information they need to be able to contribute
    • They make better decisions
    • They have a greater chance of mission success

9. Cooperate and coordinate.

• They identify teamwork and task work requirements.
    • They ensure that, through staffing and/or development, the team possesses the right mix of competencies.
    • They consciously integrate new team members.
    • They distribute and assign work thoughtfully.
    • They examine and adjust the team’s physical workplace to optimize communication and coordination.

I have identified a couple of key concepts why this Dutch team (that has the highest winning ratio of any Dutch team in history) and show overlap with a number of above mentioned points. I don't say they play football that is candy for the eye, but I do recognize their results, while we had maybe more talented teams in the past. Certainly in the seventies. Some say the 1998 group was also more talented. Some say the 1988 group was more talented. Point is we had enough talented generations in the past. The key concepts:

1. Winning is a habit. The more you do it, the stronger it gets, the more of a second nature it becomes also in games where you can't reach your level. Friendly's or not, every game is an opportunity to grow the habit necessary to win a tournament. There is not an idea in the group to be conservative or tactical with energy and so you can throw games. There is only one idea : Put your try hard pens on and WIN THE GAME.
    2. Every game is used for personal growth. With BvM they are in a process. That's how they experience it. players you not expect to started to talk quite self aware and constructive. The point here is "do I reach my level game after game". I don't look at the opponent. My performance does not depend on the quality of my opponent. The game is "to reach my level". Results flow from that.
    3. Acceptance in all it's forms. From his leadership, the captain in the team, each other and the rest of the staff. All the time I hear van Marwijk talk about acceptance. No, actually he poses the question in front of the camera. "Hoe ga je daar mee om?". How do you deal with that" and "Kun je dat accpeteren?" which translates into "Can you accept it". It is a central issue for him. When BvM started Sneijder was a problem. RVP and Sneijder had a fight over who could take a free kick once. All those things are in the past and new problems do not arise or spin out of control. He has worked this concept and there is calmness in the team now, so energy comes free to focus on the game and not on each other.
    4. A fixed system so players get to know the system from inside out and know what is expected of them.
    5. You don't have to be friends to deliver a top performance together. This creates an atmosphere where there is no faking. It's oke. You don't have to be friends with all 23 others plus the staff. You still can act professionally with each other whether you like him or not. No hypocrisy. Nigel de Jong said his relationship has cooled down with van Marwijk yet he is still in the team. From that relaxed point of view the atmosphere actually gets better and that is what you see. There are a lot of friendships in the group and with others they keep distance or in any case don't get into their allergy. This prevents a lot of phenom so again the energy goes to the performance. This concept takes care of honesty so emotions don't boil up.
    5. Joy. Players that come to the Netherlands also feel pleasure. They look forward to see the boys they feel good with and want to play the game together. There is an unconstrained atmosphere also thanks to concept 5. Has there ever been a better atmosphere in the Dutch NT? I see a smile on VDV's face talking about the NT and he is often a sub!
    6. Ownership. The Dutch players see the NT as their project.
    7. Loyalty. BvM defends his players and staff when they are attacked. A Dutch journalist was trying to create a schism in the group with some inside information. BvM actually reacted quite childish. Even started to use kinder garden tactics like "your lip starts shaking" or something like that. Hilarious kinder garden stuff. However Sneijder also watched that broadcast and sees how his trainer gets between him and the press and he gets one message very clear. If I don't cross him, he will defend me at all cost. That guy stands behind me. With Bayern we see the same attitude to his staff.

I can't remember the Dutch having such a good team geist as at this moment. We were famous for going down as a result of infighting with Euro 1996 as a tragic low. Van Marwijk has managed the flow and process very good. So lucky enough in football there is a lot you can do in order to win and be the best. The best does not equal quality alone though. Generation 74 was more gifted, but were almost knocked out by Belgium and so the world would almost never have seen total football.

24. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  25. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I think the problem Portugal has is one of perception...they generally underachieve compared to what people expect them to accomplish. Part of this is due to the success Cristiano Ronaldo has had with Man. United and Real Madrid in that everyone expects him to lift the Portugese national team to similar heights, but objectively speaking, Portugal has shot themselves in the foot more than a few times.

WC 2002 - touted as one of the favorites after their performance at Euro 2000, lose to the USA and South Korea and crash out in the group stages

Euro 2004 - make the final as hosts, certainly an excellent accomplishment, but then lose the final on home soil to Greece in a match everyone expected them to win.

And even when they have met expectations, they've done so with an absence of the type of style expected of them. For example, at WC 2010, they finished second in their group and lost in the round of 16 against Spain exactly as most people predicted, but did so without scoring a single goal against anybody other than North Korea. And although they made the semis at WC 2006, they didn't score a single goal in either their QF or SF. When you've got Cristiano Ronaldo in your team, the one thing people do expect you to be able to do is score goals, something which Portugal has been unable to do in five of it's past six WC matches.

Additionally, it doesn't help that they haven't won any of their past three qualifying groups for either the WC or the Euros, qualifying for Euro 2008 as a 2nd place team, and for WC 2010 and Euro 2012 through the playoffs, thus feeding the perception that they aren't quite as good as they are made out to be.