Euro 2012 finals draw (seeding)

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by BocaFan, Apr 1, 2011.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Sometimes yes. While watching the UEFA Champions League I'll be watching one game on tv while following along on uefa.com's MatchCenter and often the goal will pop up seconds before I see it on tv.

2. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They didn't use the FIFA ranking.
    It's actually quite hard to find a ranking, where France wouldn't have ended in pot 4. They just were horrible the last years.

3. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rankings were based on how teams did result wise during the entire Euro 2008, World Cup 2010 and Euro 2012(qualifying) campaigns. No one can really complain .

My thoughts on the draw:

We have two Groups of Death

one for the teams involved: Group B

one for the fans: Group A

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    True. There is nothing wrong with the seeding formula. Just because you have a population base of over 60 million shouldn't grant you a #1 seed through all eternity. They aren't as good as teams like Greece and Russia right now, and other teams should be happy to draw them. Simple as that.

5. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh my bad - someone had said rankings, but it's their coefficient ranking. Still seemed strange allocation to me.

6. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Group B is belter!

7. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    The groups are pretty unbalanced FIFA ranking wise.
    Average ranking positions:
    A 31.25, B 5.75, C 9.75, D 23.25

2 people repped this.
  8. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    More like doom and gloom. :D

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Damn! I knew it was uneven but not THAT much.

Then again - Portugal #7, WTF? WC 2006 must still count for a lot in the FIFA rankings. :rolleyes:

10. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would consider the median rank, because one outlier can totally distort the mean in a sample of 4.

Median rank for Group B is 5. :eek:

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    According to FIFA,
    All 4 of Group "B" teams are among the top 8 UEFA nations.
    3 of Group "B" teams were highest ranked nation in their pot, Holland was second. So only {Spain, Germany, Portugal, Denmark} could've been more deadly.

12. joebarnin

joebarnin Member

May 3, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Use ELO rankings instead of FIFA (average):

A: 25.75
    B: 7.25
    C: 10
    D: 15.25

I guess one good thing is that the team that advance out of Group A get to play Group B. Kind of evens things out a bit.

13. jens fup

jens fup Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Aalborg
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Horrible, horrible draw from a danish perspective. If we get two points, that'll be the most - and sad truth is that we are much stronger than in WC 2010. But it is simply the worst possible draw - only Spain instead of Holland would have been worse.

1 person likes this.
  14. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    Group A OMG! that's a lucky lottery ticket. Every single team that I wanted as Sweden's dream opponent was in that group and then it was the weakest team from Sweden's own pot, Greece.

Sweden got a pretty good group. Unlucky to get a pot 4 team that should be 1 or 2 (France) but otherwise it was good. I was crossing all fingers and toes to avoid Germany as a pot 2 team. A good draw for Sweden.

Group B, lol that's tough. Only France is missing to make it even more interesting.

15. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    it's a pity for the us dutch fans that we're playing in charkiv instead of gdansk. gdansk was as far as basel from holland and it would be an orange invasion. dutch are not like the English that they travel everywhere.

about the group; I can't remember we've had an easy group, at least not the last decade. It's the Euro's so it is not rare to have 3 world class teams in one group:
    2012 holland, germany, portugal, denmark
    2008 holland, italy, france, romania
    2004 holland, germany, czech r (world class at that time), latvia
    2000 holland, france, czech r, denmark

I'm not afraid of germany, eventhough we lost to them last month. More frightened about portugal, they are our 'angstgegner'.

16. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Group A- Analysis:

I have to say Poland have the biggest chance for 1st place, due to home support and opening game vs Greece (possibly weakest team in Group A, whom Poland usually win against).

I will favor Czech Rep for 2nd or 1st place. They will have no pressure, because there aren't any expectations on them. They have a young team, based on some good talent (2007 World Cup U-20 2nd Place.... generation). They are re-building for 2014, but should progress to the next round.

Russia could finish third place here. They are in regress now (their best players are stepping off the stage, ex: Arshavin). They have an uncertain coach in Dick Advocat... Also, they will have a big problem playing Poland in Warsaw, for lots of reasons (example massive motivation from the home team/crowd). Poland will be especially fired up, if they manage to beat Greece in the opening game. Which is likely.

Greece. I don't see them getting out of this weak group. Someone has to finish bottom, and it could be them..... but they might also advance from here, they are similar level to Czech, Poland and Russia. So, it will be interesting.

My picks:

1. Poland
    2. Czech Rep
    3. Russia
    4. Greece

Q-F----- Poland vs Germany (well, that's a no brainer, but it will be a massive game nonetheless) :)

17. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How many of those first 3 didn't we make it out of it :D

In the eighties Dutch football experienced a dark period. In 1982, 1984 and 1986 we couldn't qualify. However after reorganizing we did in 1988, became champions and since then we have I think the strongest group advancing record in Europe on end tournaments.

1988 advanced
    1990 advanced
    1992 advanced
    1994 advanced
    1996 advanced
    1998 advanced
    2000 advanced
    2002 not qualified
    2004 advanced
    2006 advanced
    2008 advanced
    2010 advanced

Germany has the strongest group advancing record after that but didn't advanced in 2000 and 2004.

If you look at it as all individual campaigns and cross off let's say campaign 2000 of Germany with campaign 2002 of Holland (though reaching an end tournament is better than not qualifying), Netherlands have over that period the best record in Europe.

18. efexor

efexor Member

Apr 2, 2006
    Greece
    leszek-antonio
    poland and home support?
    well keep the tone down as you see poland is very close for thousands of greeks to come and the :eek:300 SPARTIANS;)

19. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    Those are the 2 teams to avoid (Spain following shortly behind). Holland and Germany steamroll through the qualifiers. My prayers didn't help much. Sweden got Holland in the EC QF for 2012 and Germany for the WC QF for 2014.

For now I am just glad we avoided Holland and Germany in the group.

20. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    No match.... sorry. The fans also cannot compete. We may not have a very strong team, but the fan support is among the best in the world. ;)

21. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    Poland do have good support and I must say that it was nice to see one of the teams get such an easy group when they are hosting the whole spectacle. Being on their own turf, Poland should be able to advance.

22. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I agree. If Poland got Ukraine's group (with England, France and Sweden) things would look differently.....but Russia and Greece are at a similar level to Poland, so the home support should give Poland the edge....

23. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That's true. PSV this week played against Legia and even when they where 3-0 down the supporters made as much noise if not more than when it was 0-0. What I didn't like was that half of the 80 PSV fans that traveled to Poland were not allowed to enter the stadium because they had alcohol in their blood.

Which brings me to the following question: What the hell did the other half of the 80 supporters drink the whole day? :eek::D

Also Poles are not allowed to enter a stadium with a higher permillage?

24. ChrisB1983

ChrisB1983 New Member

Nov 23, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Poland have an excellent chance to qualify... Its just a shame that Germany and Holland who qualified so well then get such a tough group. The seedings system of having two countries getting 1st seeding for hosting is unfair..... Might as well just draw then out of a hat without seedings!

25. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I don't care. We want to win the tournament, so we have to beat any team anyway. You just don't deserve to go through when you can't beat your opposition; no matter if other teams might have had an easier route.