Euro 2012 finals draw (seeding)

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by BocaFan, Apr 1, 2011.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I believe this is how it looks at the moment (assuming current group-leaders and best 5 second-place teams qualify):

Note that Spain is guaranteed a top seed if they qualify, so realistically only 1 top seed up for grabs.

Pot 1:
    • Poland (Group A)
    • Ukraine (Group D)
    • Spain
    • Netherlands

Pot 2:

• Germany
    • England
    • Italy
    • Croatia

Pot 3:
    • France
    • Greece
    • Portugal
    • Norway

Pot 4:
    • Slovakia
    • Czech Republic
    • Montenegro
    • Belgium

Possible Group of Death: Spain, Germany, France, Czech Republic

1 person likes this.
  2. Erwin6174

Erwin6174 Member

Jun 13, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Looks to me like you want to avoid the top seed.

3. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Damn, in this case it's probably better to be in the 2nd pot than in the 1st. I'd much rather have a 50% chance of getting Ukraine or Poland than a 75% chance of getting one of Germany, England and Italy, assuming the seeding ends up like that of course.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Italy & England = meh. And playing Ukraine in Ukraine could be tricky.

I'd be more worried about Germany, Holland and Spain. So I think its still slightly better to be a top seed (unlike for Euro 2008 when Austria and Greece were guaranteed #1 seeds).

5. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, it was really funny when Netherlands and Germany realized how bad it was to be in pot one and they desperately tried to avoid to become the last seeded team. :D

I just told the story in the Netherlands forum, when somebody complained about that "strange" loss against Belarus during the 2008 qualifiers.

6. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You can find that somebody under post nr 2 on this thread. :)

7. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It was by the way so cool it turned out the way it went. Putting us in the group of death. I watched some BBC I believe and all of them were picking France and Italy to go trough from the group Netherlands, Italy, France and Roemania. Haha. We won that group with 9 points. 9 goals for and 1 against. I don't even know if we ever had a more succesfull group stage in a Euro tournement or in any tournement at all (Gonne check that out tomorrow). I will never forget the face of Henry. Holland was at 2-0. Henry makes 2-1. Trying to come back. v Basten immidiatly puts in Robben. Bang. 3-1. From an impossible angel. WTF face from Henry. Hahah :D. That's what happens when Holland are made the underdog. Hiddink knows that, so he made Holland the big favourite against Russia. Smart move from Guus and a great result for his team in the quarters against us. :(

8. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah I remember in 2008 I expected Italy and France to go through and then bam! Netherlands raped everyone in their group, I was worried about Spain facing Netherlands in the SF but luckily for us Russia eliminated you in the extra time.

9. Kerzhakov

Kerzhakov New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Club:
    FC København
    If using UEFA Castrols Calculations of the group results and thereby the qualifiers and you use the probable seeding the pots will be like this:

Pot 1:
    Ukraine
    Poland
    Spain
    Netherlands

Pot 2:
    Germany
    England
    Italy
    Croatia

Pot 3:
    Russia
    Greece
    France
    Portugal

Pot 4:
    Sweden
    Turkey
    Norway
    Ireland

The closest teams to qualify: Czech Republic(pot 4), Denmark(pot 4), Serbia(Pot 4) and Montenegro(Pot 4)

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yeh we're clearly at our best when no-one believes in us.

So the Netherlands, what a shite team eh. Put them in pot three I say.

11. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang 2 more years to go.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It would be kinda funny if they lose the #1 seed for the Euro 2012 draw due to that loss to Belarus 4 years earlier.

Just shows that it's never a good idea to throw a game.

13. It doesnot matter being in pot 1 or 2. It might even be better to be in pot 2 for us.
    Anyway, Dirk Kuijt recently said in an interview that you can smell the fear our opponents have for us. :p

14. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't think Holland threw that game to be honest.

We always want to win and Belarus away is always difficult for Holland for some reason.

15. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    That's right. If you're a pot 2 team you have a 50/50 chance of getting Poland or Ukraine as your #1, instead of a top level opponent.

16. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Updated info from world-results.net

http://www.world-results.net/uefa/ranking.html

The pots look much like they looked in April, but Russia seem to have taken the pot 2 spot from Croatia after the Croats lost to Greece. Croatia now need to win 3 matches, that is win against Latvia & then two play-off matches, to have a shot at passing Russia (who will get ~33,200 points with a 4-5 goal win over Andorra)

Also if France only get the draw at home against Bosnia & Hercegovina, they'll win the group, but could still finish behind Sweden & Denmark if the Scandinavians do well on Tuesday and/or in play-offs. Pot 3 could look like Croatia, Portugal, Greece, highest ranked of Sweden/Denmark/France.

17. Kedzior

Kedzior Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    To begin with sorry for posting in this thread (I know it's off topic) but I want to make aware as many people as possible about this issue.

Hi guys,

I'm writing here to give u a warning about selling tickets on the resale platform.

DON'T SELL ANY TICKETS unless you want to wait for your money for weeks or even months!!!

I sold a couple of tickets 4 weeks ago and I still haven't got my money back, despite the fact that according to the terms of resale I should have got money back within 7 days! When I wrote an e-mail to uefa to ask what's going on with my money they just answerd me with some stupid auto-reply. They said that there were some "unexpected problems" and they will return the money asap. Of course I still haven't got anyting. Further e-mails were just ignored and unanswered.

And I'm not the only one with such problem. Actually everybody I talked to that sold tickets via platform didn't get money return.

Just keep the tickets and sell them during the turnament. Not only will you get money instantly but you will also make nice profit at black market. There is a huge demand for the tickets (exept for some matches at Kiev and Donetsk stadium which is probably caused by the distance and problem with accomodation in these cities).

18. Lusitania14

Lusitania14 Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The fact that 2 average European nations, as hosts, get seeded could eventually lead to a group of death like:
    • Spain
    • Germany
    • Portugal
    • France
    This is why I don't like it when 2 nations host the cup, especially when neither is a top tier footballing nation. The same thing happened in Euro 2008.

Course, both France and Portugal could not even qualify for the Euro, but that is another matter...

19. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I don't care. We're there to win the whole thing, so we have to beat any team anyway. People whining about draws go home early.

20. Lucas12

Lucas12 Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    hehe love the attitude, so german machine, really hope Germany goes all the way playing like they did until the semi in south africa.

don't think the euro 2008 suffered from having switzerland and austria being top seed. Germany and Croatia went through without breaking a sweat and Swiss group was the most exciting group of the whole tournament. Except for the swiss team ;)

Group of death? Yes please!

21. There is nothing so lively as a Group of death:D

22. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I loved Germany's group in 1996. Russia, Czech Republic and Italy. :)
    Considering that both teams that progressed from this group also met in the final, it was probably the group of death.

23. Bring on Oranje vs Germany in one group. We need to set the standard for the EC2012 for the rest:) With this German team it is bound to be a memorable match again that will be talked about for a long time.

24. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Group A:

Germany - Belgium 3-1
    Turkey - Azerbaijan 1-0

1 Germany
    10 27 30
    2 Turkey
    10 2 17
    3 Belgium
    10 6 15

That's what we call a Klassenunterschied.

Germany, Spain and Holland seem to be on a different level than anybody else today; two of them would probably play in the final, if the tournament were in October 2011 Well, it's in June/July 2012 in the end.

25. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    not today, holland is playing bad hehe. i rather had see my neighbours belgium at the euros, but on the other hand, they began to have a big mouth about how talented they were etc. sssst:D