EURO 2009: Retrospective

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by usa3por2ft, Sep 16, 2009.

1. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it would be fun to riff off this format of retrospectives from the UEFA site.

http://www1.uefa.com/competitions/woco/blogs/type=wocotournamentblog/newsid=884740.html

Moment: Eniola Aluko's second goal against Finland.

On it's brilliance and audacity alone, Aluko's run through the Finnish defense and cool finish deserve notice. On top of that, however, is the timing: she got the ball from the kickoff after Finland's first goal and immediately got England right-side up again. Finland were heard from again, but Aluko had given England the crucial respite they needed to get through to the semifinal.

Team: Italy

Having beaten losing finalists England and given champions Germany their toughest test of the tournament, Italy takes the prize over the Netherlands in the more-than-was-expected sweepstakes. They showed patience and composure after going two goals down against Germany and but for Nadine Angerer's superb save they would have taken the quarterfinal to extra time.

Player: Kelly Smith

Whether she was holding the ball five meters from goal or shooting from fifty, Smith was all-around the most dangerous attacking threat of the tournament.

As an extra, my all-tournament XI:

Ingrid Hjelmseth

Annike Krahn
    Daphne Koster
    Sarah Gama

Manon Melis
    Camille Abily
    Kelly Smith
    Lyudmyla Pekur

Karen Carney
    Inka Grings
    Fatmire Bajmaraj

2. Roland25

Roland25 Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Germany / Aachen
    Moment: Nadine Angerer's save against Italy

Team: Netherland

Netherland suprised everyone by reaching the semi-final

Player: Karen Carney

Inka Grings with 6 goals and 2 assists was undoubtly the best player of tournament but Karen Carney, 22 years old, was the biggest suprise. She was the attacking momentum of England and showed a lot of guts in critical situations. In final like other English players she ran out of fuel after 65 minuets, but never gave up until the end.

I think the best move of Silvia Neid in final was, putting one of her key players, Linda Bresonik, on the right-back right against Carney in England's left wing. I think without Bresonik at that position the final result could be different.

3. amerinorsk59

amerinorsk59 Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Chicago area
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Moment(s): penalty kick drama in Holland-France game.

Team: 1) Germany (worked thru a couple of rough patches to dominate the tournament) and Norway (ok, my favorite team - BUT - with new defense, new goalie, new configuration 4-4-2 , C. Pedersen - outplayed and lead Germany for 1/2 of semifinal match). Their future looks good with new coach, new young players from Euro 09 and "retired" players coming back. :D

Player: Karen Carney (ENG) and Pedersen (NOR) - Carney is fantastic to watch and is a tireless ball wizard (as I've seen too in Chicago :cool:) and unknown rookie Pedersen scored two and was very close to more (opening game vs. Germany, for example).

4. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    If anyone wants to catch up with (or re-live) a few of the moments mentioned above, you can find matches on an Icelandic website, http://www.ruv.is .
    * Click on the red button, SJÓNVARPID
    * Click on the match date in the calendar
    * Under DAGSKRÁIN, choose "EM kvenna i fótbolta".

And if you're feeling grateful, send some mental thanks to poster "Jan" at womensoccer.de .

5. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    MVP: linda bresonik maybe the best player in the world right now......
    BEST YOUNG:1-kim kulig (germany)2-sara gama(italy)3-pedersen(norway)
    BEST COACH:silvia neid...germany second half against norway proove it....
    BEST MOMENT: nadine angerer saves against italy and netherlands-france penalties.....LOL
    TEAM: germany of course but italy is the real surprise of the tournament
    BEST ELEVEN:
    ANGERER-BITO;HINGST;KRAHN;PETER-CHAPMAN;STENSLAND;BRESONIK-CARNEY;GRINGS;K.SMITH

6. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Another thing to think about in Retrospective
    Out of twelve teams three had Female coaches
    All of those three teams reached at least semifinal, not a single team coached by a women was knocked out of the tourmanet by a team coached by a man.
    Is it time for more female coaches in womens soccer? at least in Europe?

7. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Excellent question - answer here. ;)

8. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Kind of helps when Germany and England are two of the three. I think a rock could have coached them to the semi's.

9. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    True for Germany, but England was unliklier to reach semi than Sweden and Sweden failed (maybe we had had better luck with a rock than with Dennerby :) ).

10. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What does this tell us? ;)